Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive exterior Rectangle Bumper Rim Font

With Rivian (rightly in my opinion) postponing their slide out camp kitchen indefinitely while they focus on ramping up vehicle production, I figured it was time to get going on the project myself. It's obviously not as fancy as Rivian's and it doesn't come with titanium pots and pans etc., but it's a very clean, simple design with a powder coated all aluminum structure for high strength, light weight, and excellent all weather durability. IOW no "camper smell" or wood structure to rot away.

I opted for a stationary cooktop layout as it provides better protection for the cooktop while eliminating all the finicky little finger pinching braces and reduces complexity, parts count, weight, and costs. The sink is also stationary so that it can be insulated and serve double duty as a "day cooler" ice chest with 24 hour ice holding. It also allows you to store items in the sink while it is not in use.

The slide rail also allows for use from either side of the vehicle.

The first run price target is $1,800 and we will need at least 50 group members interested to move ahead with the project. Subsequent runs will be priced at $2,100

For more information on the project you can visit the project page here. To get on the sign-up list, please click here. When we reach the minimum number needed to start production, those signed up will be notified to place their reservation, and final pricing will be locked in.

Please let me know if you have any questions, features you would like to see, or comments. To keep costs down for the group we don't do any marketing so any help you can give spreading the word on Redit, Facebook, etc. would be most appreciated.

They only allow 10 pictures per post so I will break this up into 2 or 3 posts.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Automotive design

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Tire Automotive tire Tread Rectangle Synthetic rubber

Tire Automotive tire Tread Automotive design Wheel

Tire Automotive tire Tread Rectangle Wheel

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle

Gadget Electronic device Output device Peripheral Font

More images in the nest post.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Rectangle Rim Font

There will also be a simple slide out bin tray available separately. If you already have the rail installed in your truck for the ʞ [=0===0] k Slide Out Camp Kitchen

SK [=0===0=] TR can be used on the same rail.

All aluminum construction and can be accessed from either / both sides of the vehicle.

The price target is $350 - $450 depending on if you need the slide rail or not. This may increase / decrease depending on what options the group wants to add to the project. My personal preference is to keep it as a simple utility tray with 2 to 4 movable dividers so you can use it for grocery bags and 5 gallon buckets.

Project Info HERE

Sign-up list HERE

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Tread

Office supplies Font Material property Microphone Electronic device

Automotive tire Tire Tread Synthetic rubber Rim

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Synthetic rubber

· Registered
44 Posts
In your design: pay attention to securing things so they don't rattle or make noise when stored! Consider a shuttle or ?? to help transport the unit from the truck to storage when not in use.

· Registered
659 Posts
Well, I see one major design flaw. The baskets get stored up right when the kitchen is pulled out from the truck, but if you flip that section 180 degree outward, all the baskets (and all the stuff inside them) will be upside down and falling onto the ground. Not. A. Good. Thing.

· Registered
59 Posts
I think the larger sink makes sense. It's big enough to actually wash pots in. It can double as a temporary cooler. And, if the baskets were redesigned to be a little less deep and stack, they could nest in it when stowed, which would address @ERivTruck's concern.

I can't argue the convenience of propane, but I like the ease of clean up with a glass induction surface. I also like that the surface can act as prep or even table space. I don't know the energy demand of an induction cooktop. So, that could be a deal breaker. Everyone's use case is slightly different. Being in the desert, a zerobreeze and elechive is on my short list (not my wife's . . . we're working on that). When your tent is still 100+ degrees well after dark, falling asleep ain't happening. If the elechive(or similar "solar generator") could power the zerobreeze, a few led camp lights and the induction cooktop as needed, I would be a happy camper. Ideally, I'm not plugging everything into the truck battery, as I want to preserve it for driving range. Again, everyone's use case will be different.

· Registered
796 Posts
The baskets get stored up right when the kitchen is pulled out from the truck, but if you flip that section 180 degree outward, all the baskets (and all the stuff inside them) will be upside down and falling onto the ground.
I noticed the same thing. I think you would have to take all the baskets out, flip the section, then re-insert the baskets every time you slid the kitchen in or out. I think that's basically a two-person job because you're not going to take your wire baskets full of cooking implements/food and put them in the dirt while you deploy the kitchen, and because you have to take them out and put them in on opposite sides of the slide-out.

The other thing I don't see that I want is power. The Rivian shuttle has 120V and 12V outlets on the shuttle, so they're available when the shuttle is pulled out. If those aren't on the shuttle, then do you have to reach inside the tunnel to plug in your induction stove or any other appliance?

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very clever setup you have here @Gene! How would the installation process go if someone orders the ʞ [=0===0] k or SK [=0===0=] TR ?
The slide rail is the same for both the Camp Kitchen and the Utility Tray so you wouldn't need to swap that out to switch between them. If you are asking how the slide rail itself is mounted, it bolts to the hard points built into the gear tunnel--the same ones Rivian uses for their gear shuttle. Pretty straight forward and no modification to the truck required. If you can use a socket wrench and do a bit of bending and reaching it is DIY.

If you are asking if the gear shuttle is required, no it is not.

As for putting the kitchen in and out of the truck, I covered that a bit HERE

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I see one major design flaw. The baskets get stored up right when the kitchen is pulled out from the truck, but if you flip that section 180 degree outward, all the baskets (and all the stuff inside them) will be upside down and falling onto the ground. Not. A. Good. Thing.
You pull the three baskets, flip the top over, and slide the baskets back in upright. There are magnets in the end plate that hold them in place. There are other advantage to the baskets. When you are packing for your trip you can take them to the kitchen--next to the fridge and pantry--to load them, then put them in the truck. After your trip you can take them back to the kitchen to unload them. You can have baskets set up for specific stuff--as an example one can have table items like condiments, salt and pepper, napkins etc. and you put the basket on the table.

Baskets also allow for airflow which lets everything dry out and avoid that mildew "camper" smell.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I noticed the same thing. I think you would have to take all the baskets out, flip the section, then re-insert the baskets every time you slid the kitchen in or out. I think that's basically a two-person job because you're not going to take your wire baskets full of cooking implements/food and put them in the dirt while you deploy the kitchen, and because you have to take them out and put them in on opposite sides of the slide-out.

The other thing I don't see that I want is power. The Rivian shuttle has 120V and 12V outlets on the shuttle, so they're available when the shuttle is pulled out. If those aren't on the shuttle, then do you have to reach inside the tunnel to plug in your induction stove or any other appliance?
To flip the top you slide out the drawer, place the baskets on it, flip the top, replace the baskets right side up--it is literally a 20 to 30 second task. There are magnets in the end cap that hold the baskets in place while driving.

There is a single power cord to the slide out that powers everything including the induction cooktop, outlet, and a water pump.

· Registered
527 Posts
The sink is super insulated so it can double as a "day cooler" ice chest with 24 hour ice holding. You can also use it for storage. So far at least, the vast majority of people have said they want a sink...
To use that Space for a fridge would way more practical and have a faucet with a collapsible sink. I camp >100 days a year here in Alaska and have built out base camps/truck campers/cabins for >20 years. PM me if you like, happy to give my 0.02.

The Rivian design was completely impractical for camping, I would completely start from scratch.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To use that Space for a fridge would way more practical and have a faucet with a collapsible sink. I camp >100 days a year here in Alaska and have built out base camps/truck campers/cabins for >20 years. PM me if you like, happy to give my 0.02.

The Rivian design was completely impractical for camping, I would completely start from scratch.
As a designer I have to remind myself quite often that not everyone does or see's things the same way I do. I dry camp a lot and as such place a premium on water storage, but not everyone else does--most don't in fact. Most don't do 14 day trips, etc. You would put a refrigerator in--I think that is a terrible use because I prefer a dedicated cooler with actual capacity--not a tiny little unit shoehorned into the slide out where it is hard to use. The point is, your suggestion is not wrong--it is just the way you like to camp. Saying the many people that prefer baskets should want less practical drawers is another example.

I think putting an actual faucet in the sink and 5 gallon water tank in the slide out is impractical when I can have a 14 gallon frunk tank with a pump and sprayer 4 feet away, but MOST people prefer a faucet. They are not "wrong" they just prefer to do things a different way.

My approach has been to make the slide out strong, light weight, and weather proof. The individual compartments are fairly versatile and there is room for people to configure things the way they want them to a fairly large extent. There are drop in propane cook tops that fit the available opening for the one guy who wants propane in his EV. If you don't want a little 5 gallon tank and faucet and would prefer to use that space for storage, (like me) than you can easily do that. If you only want a single burner--again like me--than that can be done too.

With good solid "bones" to work with--in this case a high quality carcass--there are lots of options.

· Registered
659 Posts
You pull the three baskets, flip the top over, and slide the baskets back in upright. There are magnets in the end plate that hold them in place. There are other advantage to the baskets. When you are packing for your trip you can take them to the kitchen--next to the fridge and pantry--to load them, then put them in the truck. After your trip you can take them back to the kitchen to unload them. You can have baskets set up for specific stuff--as an example one can have table items like condiments, salt and pepper, napkins etc. and you put the basket on the table.

Baskets also allow for airflow which lets everything dry out and avoid that mildew "camper" smell.
Too much work. Not worth it in my opinion to have to manually pull everything out. Then manually put everything back EACH and EVERY time you want to deploy the kitchen.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Too much work. Not worth it in my opinion to have to manually pull everything out. Then manually put everything back EACH and EVERY time you want to deploy the kitchen.
Fair enough, and I appreciate your input. For me it's not any more or less work than folding out the stove top and sink and is much more practical IMO, but as I said everyone has their own view, and I respect that. There is also no reason the baskets can't be replaced with drawers that have the foam insert holders. All of the structure needed for drawer mounting is already there.

There are also other practical consideration that are not always obvious. The way Rivian has their kitchen set up the counter height is unusually high which is not as comfortable to use for most people. The format I am using lowers the counter height by almost 4 inches--still an inch or so higher than normal counter height but much more manageable. Folding from the other side also doesn't block the door to the truck or put the glass top of the stove at risk--not to mention people or small kids hitting that sharp glass corner.

End of the day, something has to fold because of the space constraints of the gear tunnel. For most people--not everyone of course, but most people--there are more advantages than disadvantages to folding out the drawer module vs the stove and sink.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts