Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have exclusively owned and driven Toyota Land Cruisers for the past 30 years. The only vehicle that has ever tempted me is the Rivian and I am happy to report that I just acquired one! Im flying to Kansas tomorrow to pick up my R1T and driving it home to Utah. Ive downloaded the Rivian app, electrify America and the ABRP app. Ive mapped out my route on all of them for redundancy and it seems pretty straight forward. Am I missing anything? Any recommendations? Do I need any specific adapters?

· Registered
811 Posts
I suggest you purchase the $4 EA monthly membership - it will pay for itself on the first charge. Also make sure you have the ChargePoint and PlugShare apps. PlugShare will give you some information, before you get there, about whether a charger is working. Also probably wouldn't hurt to have the EVGo app installed and set up. Some credit cards give cash back on EV charging, so check your cards and add the most favorable one to your apps.

Have a back up plan in mind for each charger location. Charge overnight at your hotel if you can. Do a trial charge at a level 3 charger near the service center before you get too far way, just to make sure level 3 charging is working.

It's probably going to be cold, so if you use the Rivian's navigation system to route to the next charger your battery pack will be pre-conditioned for charging by the time you get there - that could save you some time.

· Registered
692 Posts
Rivian's navigation system to route to the next charger your battery pack will be pre-conditioned for charging by the time you get there - that could save you some time.
Be careful with that, driving home from SLC after Thanksgiving and Pre-conditioning took 20 miles per charging stop on the Tesla, that's a smaller battery pack so I'd guess Rivian's larger would take even more. This is 2019 Model 3 without a heat pump which helps a lot after the first 30 miles as battery and motors provide waste heat to use.

While Preconditioning speeds recharge, the 20 miles can mean have to charge more often and longer, contradictory effect. A trick used is to navigate to a spot near the charger so as not to activate the Preconditioning.

Tesla recently upgraded its energy consumption screen to give you real time breakdown of energy use and also an actual estimate based on last 30 miles of use vs. the base range which uses rated vs. actual. Does Rivian have that kind of energy consumption and range readout?

· Registered
65 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Made it home, relatively stress free. I had one stretch in Kansas with chargers not working. I made it to a working charger with 7 miles range. outside of that, all the stations worked fine and I had plenty of range in case they didnt. I am very impressed with the R1T.

· Registered
49 Posts
I was just looking at the PlugShare app the other day and was impressed with the number of chargers there are under construction on the I70 corridor. I live in the KC area and it will greatly improve the ability to drive electric to Denver. Glad you had an uneventful trip.
Any comments on range impacts of temp/wind/speed along I70? Based my my Tesla ownership experience I would think you would have been going 150-180mi between stops but curious what you may have experienced.

Jeff

· Registered
6 Posts
Made it home, relatively stress free. I had one stretch in Kansas with chargers not working. I made it to a working charger with 7 miles range. outside of that, all the stations worked fine and I had plenty of range in case they didnt. I am very impressed with the R1T.
1100 miles is a good trip. I'm considering 1900 from Dallas to Coeur d'Alene this summer, but that's a pretty long haul with all the stops. Did you use the Rivian in-car app for routing? How many stops did you end up making?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1100 miles is a good trip. I'm considering 1900 from Dallas to Coeur d'Alene this summer, but that's a pretty long haul with all the stops. Did you use the Rivian in-car app for routing? How many stops did you end up making?
I made 7 total stops, but was a bit conservative once I got into the mountains and I did use the Rivian app for the first half and plug share for the second. I am comfortable with just the Rivian app moving forward. I will keep plug share for redundancy. The best/worst part was that 3 of the stops were in walmart parking lots. I had my 5YO girl with me and we filled the gear tunnel with toys by the end of the trip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts