Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to run my 15 amp DeWalt 12 inch chop saw off the truck today and had poor results: slow spin up to full speed and disappointing power through a 4x4. I originally tried to run both the saw and my shop vac as a dust collector but that shut down the inverter. Given the performance I will not try that again - it’s probably bad for the saw. The other tool I tried - a Bosch 8 amp hammer drill had no problem breaking up some concrete. It also ran the vacuum by itself although not with a lot of enthusiasm. So much for my idea of running a small job off the truck.

· Registered
353 Posts
I tried to run my 15 amp DeWalt 12 inch chop saw off the truck today and had poor results: slow spin up to full speed and disappointing power through a 4x4. I originally tried to run both the saw and my shop vac as a dust collector but that shut down the inverter. Given the performance I will not try that again - it’s probably bad for the saw. The other tool I tried - a Bosch 8 amp hammer drill had no problem breaking up some concrete. It also ran the vacuum by itself although not with a lot of enthusiasm. So much for my idea of running a small job off the truck.
That's a bummer, I have yet to try any tools.

· Registered
R1T, M3LR, 2x Honda Odyssey
32 Posts
Unfortunately I have read that the outlet is only rated for 1500W, which would be around 12-13A (depending on whether it is 110 or 120VAC). The Ford lightning wins this one, with 7kW...

· Registered
1 Posts
Unfortunately I have read that the outlet is only rated for 1500W, which would be around 12-13A (depending on whether it is 110 or 120VAC). The Ford lightning wins this one, with 7kW...
Indeed and they even have graphics related to tool usage.

The 9.6 kWh value is the total power for all the outlets combined, but individually the outlets are limited: up to 2.4 kW available through the frunk and up to 7.2 kW through outlets in the cab and bed:
  • two 120 V outlets in the cab
  • four 120 V outlets in the front trunk (there are also one USB-C and one USB-A in the frunk)
  • four 120 V outlets in the bed
  • one 240 V outlet in the bed
* the XLT trim has only 120 V outlets: two in the cab, two in the bed and four in the trunk.

· Registered
403 Posts
Yes, disappointing that Rivian limited the outlets to 1500w, when ford is offering 7200w.

For me, I purchased an ecoflow battery. I got the 2000 version, but the 3600 version would allow for up to 4500w with higher surge rates, which should help with startup speeds for power tools. I then plug the ecoflow into the truck. So, while not a perfect scenario, it does still allow me to benefit from the 135kwh battery of the truck while giving me more power output for higher demand items. Plus, the EcoFlow battery is portable and can be used for other things, so it wasn't a purchase just for the truck, which help justify the cost of buying one. It's a workaround, but does increase capability for cases like the OP's or many others.

· Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
262 Posts
I ran my Ryobi pressure washer from the outlets without a problem. It is rated at 13A., so probably was right on the edge of tripping. Haven't tried anything else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts