Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I absolutely LOVE my R1T. However the firmware update I installed last night emphasizes my one nagging frustration. In the 12/22 update Rivian now lets you share addresses you lookup on Apple Maps or Google Maps on your smartphone to the barely-functioning Rivian navigation system. If you've ever tried to "ask Alexa" in your Rivian to find a location, you know why. It rarely if ever works. Last weekend in Manhattan the Rivian navigation system gave me a route to my destination that doesn't exist. The fact that Rivian won't give us access to a mature navigation app (apparently for business reasons) but will let us use them for a clumsy extra step to try to limp Rivian navigation along makes it all the more frustrating. The fact that I am using some Amazon phone holder in this super hi-tech vehicle so I know where I'm going is such a disappointment. Rivian, if you read this, please give us access to a mature navigation app. Thank you and congratulations on an otherwise truly remarkable truck. I LOVE it!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depends where you are driving. It doesn't analyze traffic well. Pretty good luck with manual entry, but it gets confused in big cities like NY. Put me on a highway that went next to my destination and told me I was there.

· Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone else noticed while navigating, every time the Rivian comes to a halt the location jumps forward several hundred feet for a few seconds ? If this is at a turn-junction I invariably get re-routed a different way. Its hard to believe a company would ship such a problem. The workaround for me is also a cheap Amazon phone holder + google maps.

· Registered
2022 R1T no spare, no tonneau, El Cap, dark 22's
78 Posts
I have not yet tried the new share address feature but I do know that when I manually enter an address, everything works very well.
I agree. the "Alexa" is not in my vocabulary. I will admit to speaking with Siri on occasion. what would happen if I asked Siri to ask Alexa to do something. it wouldn't be like talking to Alexa would it? Sorry bleary eyed from a 2 hour 20 inch wheel search.

· Registered
74 Posts
I agree. the "Alexa" is not in my vocabulary. I will admit to speaking with Siri on occasion. what would happen if I asked Siri to ask Alexa to do something. it wouldn't be like talking to Alexa would it? Sorry bleary eyed from a 2 hour 20 inch wheel search.
Maybe I'll try to get Alexa to talk to Siri to Talk to Alexa to talk to Siri... You know... Make the universe implode.

Good luck with the wheels search. I found some Dodge wheels on CL and a got great deal on the Pirelli Scorpion ATs at Walmart of all places.

· Registered
37 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my R1T. However the firmware update I installed last night emphasizes my one nagging frustration. In the 12/22 update Rivian now lets you share addresses you lookup on Apple Maps or Google Maps on your smartphone to the barely-functioning Rivian navigation system. If you've ever tried to "ask Alexa" in your Rivian to find a location, you know why. It rarely if ever works. Last weekend in Manhattan the Rivian navigation system gave me a route to my destination that doesn't exist. The fact that Rivian won't give us access to a mature navigation app (apparently for business reasons) but will let us use them for a clumsy extra step to try to limp Rivian navigation along makes it all the more frustrating. The fact that I am using some Amazon phone holder in this super hi-tech vehicle so I know where I'm going is such a disappointment. Rivian, if you read this, please give us access to a mature navigation app. Thank you and congratulations on an otherwise truly remarkable truck. I LOVE it!
I’ve had a ticket open since Nov 7 where Mapbox (the mapping API Rivian uses) tries to navigate me home to the road behind my house. All the addresses on my street do it. I have to use a neighbors address around the corner (4 houses away) for the navigation to actually route me “somewhat correctly” home.

I don’t really like using my phone to navigate, since I like using Spotify (built-in), and end up not hearing my navigation on phone….but I do miss sharing my arrival with my family via Apple Maps. I’ve found myself doing both which is ridiculous as well.

Given the Rivian OS is Android, I’m about to revert to getting back on the Rivian forums to see who’s willing to try and hack a solution - sadly not likely feasible since the vehicle relies on more software than an engine.

· Registered
81 Posts
I think the Rivian NAV can be frustrating as well but it it improving with every update so I'm being patient. Google and Apple maps aren't perfect either but using them in combination is helpful. We're lucky to have this technology. I'm not "old" but am certainly of the age of paper maps... Still waiting for Rivian to allow for waypoints! A trick I use is to compare multiple maps before a trip. If the different tools disagree on location, I zoom in on the spot that I want and long press the screen to select that location. @OGLindy, try finding your house on the map, pick that spot and save it as a favorite. It might be the wrong "address" but the Lat/Long will get the vehicle to take you where you want to go.

· Registered
93 Posts
Has anyone else noticed while navigating, every time the Rivian comes to a halt the location jumps forward several hundred feet for a few seconds ?
Yes! I’ve seen the same thing and it’s really annoying. If you’re following a route it assumes you’ve missed the turn and reroutes you around the block or even a U-turn. Disappointing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts