Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
R1T
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone talked to Rivian about access to 12v for aftermarket accessories?

1) In addition to the Ham Radio inquiry in another post, I see need for interior 12v power in 'on' and also in 'accessory' power settings for devices such as a Radar Detector :), Public Services radio scanner, or similar devices.

2) I will want access to switched 12vdc for off-road lights in the front.. And since this is a software controlled vehicle, I would very much like to see the ability (maybe in a customization/settings menu?) to 'add' a on-off light function in the center control panel that controls one or more 12vdc relays located in the Frunk. At the very least, a 12v digital control line could be provided that allows for a standard automotive relay harness to be installed that then controls higher current exterior lighting.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am also interested in the capabilities of light bars or other accessories that attach to the 12V system. I wouldn’t mind getting the Car Link adapter for my Yeti 1000x and hard-siring that in for optimal charging.

The problem is: Most accessories have a minimum alternator rating. For example, the Yeti Link requires a minimum of 150amps alternator. However, EVs don’t tend to have alternators, just some kind of transformer to get from high-voltage to 12 volts while the high-volt system is powered on.

So the big question is: what is the amount of amperage I can expect from the 12-volt system while the vehicle is powered on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I spent far too much time going over the owner’s manual hoping the information would be there. Hopefully this is a spec they can make known soon.
I saw for the first time via a reddit post that there is a 12V connection under the center console. Does anyone know if power for this is controlled by software, or just on when the R1T is "on"?

Also thinking about trying to find a console mount for a scanner, vhf, and ham radios. Has anyone looked into any mounts already on the market that might fit that area under the 12V connection well? And has anyone seen any confirmations from current owners on good pathways for antenna cabling?

Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior

·
Registered
13 Posts
I saw for the first time via a reddit post that there is a 12V connection under the center console. Does anyone know if power for this is controlled by software, or just on when the R1T is "on"?

Also thinking about trying to find a console mount for a scanner, vhf, and ham radios. Has anyone looked into any mounts already on the market that might fit that area under the 12V connection well? And has anyone seen any confirmations from current owners on good pathways for antenna cabling?

View attachment 4943
As of now that power socket under the dash is always on. so if you leave something plugged in that consumes lots of amps and the vehicle is doing an OTA the DCDC might not turn on and you run the risk of discharging the 12V batteries.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts