Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given there seem to be issues with the 12v battery failing (likely due to some other issue causing it to completely drain), I thought I’d start a thread just for that topic. I was at the SLC service center today, and saw these on the dash of most of the trucks in the lot being prepped for delivery. I’m assuming that leaving the seatbelt buckled prevents the truck from going to sleep and is one cause of 12v battery drain.

Font Material property Gas Electric blue Space

·
Super Moderator
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would anyone leave the seat beat buckled any way? Tesla had big problem with 12V battery drain initially also.

Do we really know that different issues are from the 12V battery?
I don’t think the 12v is the root cause, but it appears there’s things that result in phantom drain which completely drains the 12v and causes it to fail, thus bricking the truck. Seat sensors not working, seat belts connected when no one is in the truck both seem to prevent the truck from properly sleeping and thus draining 12v. Other causes likely as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The 12 Bolt battery in my Tesla Model 3 needed replacement after 2 years. That has been my experience with cars powered by ICE in Phoenix. Heat is the culprit, whether the battery is placed in a “frunk” or a hot engine bay. You should do better in more moderate climates.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 12 Bolt battery in my Tesla Model 3 needed replacement after 2 years. That has been my experience with cars powered by ICE in Phoenix. Heat is the culprit, whether the battery is placed in a “frunk” or a hot engine bay. You should do better in more moderate climates.
Strange, I am in Maine with fairly moderate temps. This happened after I had plugged it in Friday night but didn't get back to it til Sunday. 1st time I had left it charging that long, though that may have nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
R1T LE
42 Posts
Wonder if I can put a battery tender lead on those batteries and plug them in every now and then without freaking the truck out. I have a 4 bank battery tender and had my CLS55AMG plugged into 2 of the banks just earlier today since that car gets battery drain from sitting now that I have the R1T. I'm nervous to try on the R1T . . . . .

·
Registered
436 Posts
Wonder if I can put a battery tender lead on those batteries and plug them in every now and then without freaking the truck out. I have a 4 bank battery tender and had my CLS55AMG plugged into 2 of the banks just earlier today since that car gets battery drain from sitting now that I have the R1T. I'm nervous to try on the R1T . . . . .
If you do it would probably be from the jump leads by the hitch receiver.

·
Super Moderator
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Indications are that the leads in the hitch area are not directly connected to the battery but Umstead go through some type of controller module. That may prevent them from being used to trickle charge it.

You have to remove the frunk tub to directly access the batteries, so that’s not really a great option either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just had my R1T serviced because of the blank screens. All works now and this is what service said:

To the best of our understanding, the concern you were seeing was caused by software. The great thing about our vehicles having such an advanced computer system is the ability to consistently receive software updates for bug fixes and new feature releases as they become available. The technicians who worked on your vehicle completely reinstalled the software and pushed it to the latest software release available. We do not believe hardware was affected, but we replaced the 12V batteries to ensure all possible causes were addressed during the visit.

·
Registered
2022 Rivian R1T
53 Posts
Indications are that the leads in the hitch area are not directly connected to the battery but Umstead go through some type of controller module. That may prevent them from being used to trickle charge it.

You have to remove the frunk tub to directly access the batteries, so that’s not really a great option either.
Fwiw, I used a jump box to get my doors open when I had the 12v issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts