Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a Tesla owner for many years I have picked up many tricks along the way. I’m certain there are many others who have noticed a large amount of wind noise over 60 mph from the glass roof. I suspected similar to my earlier model S and model 3 it was coming from the gap. Tested and confirmed. You can pickup the self adhesive 3M weather stripping on Amazon for $12. Thought I’d pass this along to other fellow owners. Enjoy!

(Confirmed with a test drive and painters tape. Then applied the 3M for a fix)
Plant Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant community
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design
Tire Automotive tire Audio equipment Gadget Cable

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hoping the Rivian has a better fit and finish. OutofSpec motoring did not mention wind noise as an issue in their 70mph range test in the Rivian. I don't notice it in the Model 3. Model 3 issue is a lot of road noise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hoping the Rivian has a better fit and finish. OutofSpec motoring did not mention wind noise as an issue in their 70mph range test in the Rivian. I don't notice it in the Model 3. Model 3 issue is a lot of road noise.
The fit and finish in the RT1 is night and day better than any Tesla I have owned. Quality craftsmanship. The interior doesn't rattle or squeak. There is little to no road noise at all. It is an amazing Truck. The wind noise has been reported in numerous posts. Most folks complain at the driverside window area. I have wind noise there as well and will be opening a claim to Rivian support.

·
Registered
481 Posts
More of a design issue than F&F.
On the Tesla's it was fit and finish, a gap between the glass and the metal. Mine was later model year and does not have wind noise from the roof. Typical commute home is 80 mph. If some are having the issue with the Rivian and some are not (see OutofSpec motoring 70mph test video, no mention of wind noise on the roof), then it would seem a fit and finish. If you can squeeze a 1/4" rubber gasket into a gap, mind the gap.

If no internal sun shield from Rivian by the time I get delivery, I was thinking of wrapping the room in the body color which should fix it also.

·
Registered
2022 Rivian R1T
53 Posts
I get some wind noise from the windows, and with the racks on the roof, there is a slight (very slight) whistle and wind noise, which is to be expected. However, I’ve heard from others that there is little to no wind noise from the drivers side window (as I have) so, when they come around to address the other minor issues I have, they’re going to look at that, as well. Thanks for the tip on the adhesive strip, I’ll give it a shot. Hopefully it’ll stand up to a car wash!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you getting wind noise without the crossbars on the roof? When mine are on the roof I get terrible wind noise (a loud high pitch whistle) inside the truck at anything above 50MPH. When I do not have the crossbars on I don't have that wind noise. Has anyone else experience this? I have not opened a ticket yet on this. I don't think there should be much of any wind noise with a factory optional crossbar.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are you getting wind noise without the crossbars on the roof? When mine are on the roof I get terrible wind noise (a loud high pitch whistle) inside the truck at anything above 50MPH. When I do not have the crossbars on I don't have that wind noise. Has anyone else experience this? I have not opened a ticket yet on this. I don't think there should be much of any wind noise with a factory optional crossbar.
Thanks for the post. I was wondering if I should get the crossbars for the R1S.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts