Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just completed a 1500+ mile road trip from San Diego to Gilbert AZ, then to Grand Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, back to Gilbert and finally Back home to San Diego.

I have done this drive previously but in a Model 3 performance and it was no problem at all. There are so many supercharger options/locations and usually I just stop once to get to Gilbert, AZ.

the same was the case for my R1T except the charging was frustrating. EA has such a flakey network, every location I looked at had multiple (of only 4 chargers) broken. The one at Gilbert I needed to use only had 1 of 4 working the whole time we stayed there. Multiple times I went there only to find 2/3 cars waiting.
I have to admit, coming from a Tesla, I miss how robust their network is. And frankly I may go back to Tesla if we did a lot of road trips like this. I usually only do it once a year or so.

the lack of locations is asp an issue with non-Tesla chargers. We stayed overnight and charged at the hotel in the grand canyon village to get a start at 100% because we were going to horseshoe bend and then back to Gilbert. There are no fast chargers anywhere in that area (except Tesla Superchargers). So we had to drive back south to Flagstaff for the first available fast charger. We barely made it there with 24 miles left. If we had any other wheel options I don’t think we would have made it.

I know more charger stations will get added but it’s definitely a bit of a pain still for non-Tesla vehicles.

on a side point, we went to flagstaff where EA chargers are in a Walmart parking lot. I plugged in and came back after 20 min to find my car unplugged and the station next to me ICE’d. I’m thinking that driver unplugged me but gear guard didn’t catch anything…so that delayed us a bit since I only charged for maybe 5 min when it was unplugged.

Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Car Sky

Communication Device Mobile device Sky Portable communications device Font

· Registered
9 Posts
I did a CA trip (from Gilbert) a month ago similar situation - chargers don't work or I was waiting for a charger, supre frustrating - the existing chargers not working is a bit mind boggling, I'm not a genius but power to a "plug" in todays day and age should just work? I have to think there is $ to be made for a network of nice clean pull off station w/ 350 KWH charges and a nice cafe/snack shop - in and out in 20 min and frankly they could charge what they want for the energy

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had to call at Williams before going north to Grand Canyon because the chargers were charging at 4kwh. I was on hold for almost 30 minutes. I could have been done and on my way in that time

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like it’sa hit or miss from the responses. My only hope is that rivian can quickly build out their network and in parallel we get a much better open network built out quickly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts