2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
307 Posts
And vice versa. For a mere $1800...

Reactions: JimmyEV

·
Super Moderator
307 Posts
Odd to me that the same wheel that’s a free LE upgrade on the R1S is $1800 extra on the LE R1T and vice versa. Hopefully they change that, but maybe they look at it as “if so many people are asking for it, then we’ll make them pay for it”. Certainly in their rights to do that.

I also noticed that the 20” black wheel option for the R1T is the same style as the 20” std wheel on the R1S, but black vs silver. The std 20” on the R1T is a different design altogether.

I’m still undecided on which wheels I will get on my R1T. It will greatly depend on the exterior color, which is still undecided as well. With most body colors I prefer the black 20” wheels, but I’m not keen on paying $3500 extra for them. I may just get the std 20” and get them powder coated if I want black.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Odd to me that the same wheel that’s a free LE upgrade on the R1S is $1800 extra on the LE R1T and vice versa. Hopefully they change that, but maybe they look at it as “if so many people are asking for it, then we’ll make them pay for it”. Certainly in their rights to do that.

I also noticed that the 20” black wheel option for the R1T is the same style as the 20” std wheel on the R1S, but black vs silver. The std 20” on the R1T is a different design altogether.

I’m still undecided on which wheels I will get on my R1T. It will greatly depend on the exterior color, which is still undecided as well. With most body colors I prefer the black 20” wheels, but I’m not keen on paying $3500 extra for them. I may just get the std 20” and get them powder coated if I want black.
They must've received a lot of interest from people for each wheel and if they can make a few extra bucks on those wheels of course they'll do it.

It does make things more interesting for how everyone specs their Rivians that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Could this be a sign of other factory fitted off-road options to come? If so, I sure hope that's what Rivian has planned because Jeep, Ram, Ford, Chevrolet and other automakers have proven there some real demand for this stuff.

What would everyone here like to see them offer next?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like the black wheels better, but that raises an interesting question for us. Really, this will be a daily driver for me and we may take it somewhere adventurous once a year or maybe two. Don't hate too much because at $80-$90k, we can't afford to and won't beat it up too much. So, I really like the 22" black sport wheels. I had not thought of powder coating until I saw @Wildabeest post. So, I asked around here where I live and it will be around $1k. Since any wheel other than the standard 21" is going to cost me $1,800, I feel like I am better off paying the $1,700 additional and rolling into the loan. Plus, it's factory and I will likely get the wheel and tire protection and won't then void it assuming Rivian offers something like it as part of its insurance plan.

·
Super Moderator
307 Posts
I like the black wheels better, but that raises an interesting question for us. Really, this will be a daily driver for me and we may take it somewhere adventurous once a year or maybe two. Don't hate too much because at $80-$90k, we can't afford to and won't beat it up too much. So, I really like the 22" black sport wheels. I had not thought of powder coating until I saw @Wildabeest post. So, I asked around here where I live and it will be around $1k. Since any wheel other than the standard 21" is going to cost me $1,800, I feel like I am better off paying the $1,700 additional and rolling into the loan. Plus, it's factory and I will likely get the wheel and tire protection and won't then void it assuming Rivian offers something like it as part of its insurance plan.
Black wheels are $3500 upgrade on R1T.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Black wheels are $3500 upgrade on R1T.
Same for the R1S. It is just I was thinking of upgrading, which means the non-black upgrades are $1,800 and add the $1,700. Either way you skin the cat, it will be $3,500 more. Am I being too picky with wanting the 22"? Probably. We will see when final options come in, I know I want the 400+ mile battery. If that is 10k and we pay for a Rivian charger, I may not have the $ to get the 22" wheels. So, powder coating it may be with the standard 21" wheels. :(. World's smallest violin, I know.

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
182 Posts
Question for those more knowledgeable about off road. Are the tires really much noisier or just a bit?

I want to try off road and there are some nice spots near me, but I am afraid my wife will be complaining about the noise on regular trips and commuting.

I should add that the R1S will be mostly her car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Question for those more knowledgeable about off road. Are the tires really much noisier or just a bit?

I want to try off road and there are some nice spots near me, but I am afraid my wife will be complaining about the noise on regular trips and commuting.

The tread pattern on those Pirelli A/T tires do not look like they will be very noisy. Pirelli has said in the past that their data showed 95% of A/T tire use was on asphalt, so they put some effort into keeping it as quiet as they can.

Edit: found the article I was remembering - it's a decent read: Tire Review: Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus

·
Registered
182 Posts
The tread pattern on those Pirelli A/T tires do not look like they will be very noisy. Pirelli has said in the past that their data showed 95% of A/T tire use was on asphalt, so they put some effort into keeping it as quiet as they can.

Edit: found the article I was remembering - it's a decent read: Tire Review: Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus
This was great reading. Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have 22 inch rims on my Denali and I'd recommend going 20 inch...the reason is that more rubber is a more comfortable ride. Even with electromagnetic ride control, the 22 inch rims don't feel good compared to my buddy's 20 inch...

I'll be ordering a Rivian in the next day or two and will go with the 20 inch all terrain. It's not like I'm going to off-road this vehicle, but for aesthetics and function, the 20 inch rims are the way to go...JMHO...

·
Registered
40 Posts

My two cents...if you want to off-road a lot, get a cheap old Jeep. Not many will be seriously off-roading an 80k vehicle...the Hummer EV SUV goes over 100k in price...I'd think someone foolish if they were to scratch the heck out of the thing doing technical off-roading...sure, the vehicle is built for it, but the paint never is....:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
My two cents...if you want to off-road a lot, get a cheap old Jeep. Not many will be seriously off-roading an 80k vehicle...the Hummer EV SUV goes over 100k in price...I'd think someone foolish if they were to scratch the heck out of the thing doing technical off-roading...sure, the vehicle is built for it, but the paint never is....:)
Thanks for the tip. I don't plan to do anything crazy since I have never done off-road before. But some are easy and good to do with family. So why not try it? If I like then I may get a Jeep to do the hard ones.

This one is about 2 hours from my house and seems easy enough:

Flagpole Knob

·
Registered
1 Posts
This was great reading. Thanks!
Just to add to this, it also depends on the quality of noise dampening that Rivian is able to achieve. We swapped road tires for all terrains on our Lexus GX and if I roll the window down there is some slight noise, but cruising at 70 with the windows up you hear nothing different because the Lexus noise dampening is so solid on those trucks.

By the way, I’m new here (first post) and just reserved the R1S last week (Adventure, White (may change to green), white interior, 20” AT) and looking forward to getting to know everyone here!

First kid is on the way so upgrading one of our vehicles to something larger (keeping the GX which we love but which is also a premium gas hog) and have been EV shopping but couldn’t find anything that I thought looked great and could also pull our boat. Had seen Rivian stuff online occasionally but never paid much attention until last week. Fell in love with the R1S design (not to mention the price compared to the $75k Tahoes and $100k Range Rovers that were starting to tempt us when we couldn’t find the right EV) and placed a deposit the same day!

·
Super Moderator
307 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm going with the free 22" option with the R1S, but I'm going to be changing out the wheels. I'm simply after the more expensive 22" tires. I'm not a fan of any of their wheel designs, and will be replacing with a nice 22" aftermarket wheel shortly after getting my R1S. By doing this, I won't need to be new tires also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm going with the free 22" option with the R1S, but I'm going to be changing out the wheels. I'm simply after the more expensive 22" tires. I'm not a fan of any of their wheel designs, and will be replacing with a nice 22" aftermarket wheel shortly after getting my R1S. By doing this, I won't need to be new tires also.
So, was it free for LE? For those of us latecomers, the 22" upgrade is either $1,800 for the standard color wheels or $3,500 for the black wheels.

·
Registered
182 Posts
So, was it free for LE? For those of us latecomers, the 22" upgrade is either $1,800 for the standard color wheels or $3,500 for the black wheels.
Yes. 20" and 22" are free for LE. To get the black ones or switching between R1T and R1S wheels you still have to pay though.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts