Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

20 inch R1T All-Terrain wheels now optional for the R1S

15K views 44 replies 16 participants last post by  Patrick 
#1 · (Edited)
If you go on the Rivian R1S configurator you can now select the 20 inch R1T style wheels on the R1S.

Is anyone planning on adding these to their R1S build?

See less See more
#4 ·
Odd to me that the same wheel that’s a free LE upgrade on the R1S is $1800 extra on the LE R1T and vice versa. Hopefully they change that, but maybe they look at it as “if so many people are asking for it, then we’ll make them pay for it”. Certainly in their rights to do that.

I also noticed that the 20” black wheel option for the R1T is the same style as the 20” std wheel on the R1S, but black vs silver. The std 20” on the R1T is a different design altogether.

I’m still undecided on which wheels I will get on my R1T. It will greatly depend on the exterior color, which is still undecided as well. With most body colors I prefer the black 20” wheels, but I’m not keen on paying $3500 extra for them. I may just get the std 20” and get them powder coated if I want black.

#5 ·
Odd to me that the same wheel that’s a free LE upgrade on the R1S is $1800 extra on the LE R1T and vice versa. Hopefully they change that, but maybe they look at it as “if so many people are asking for it, then we’ll make them pay for it”. Certainly in their rights to do that.

I also noticed that the 20” black wheel option for the R1T is the same style as the 20” std wheel on the R1S, but black vs silver. The std 20” on the R1T is a different design altogether.

I’m still undecided on which wheels I will get on my R1T. It will greatly depend on the exterior color, which is still undecided as well. With most body colors I prefer the black 20” wheels, but I’m not keen on paying $3500 extra for them. I may just get the std 20” and get them powder coated if I want black.
They must've received a lot of interest from people for each wheel and if they can make a few extra bucks on those wheels of course they'll do it.

It does make things more interesting for how everyone specs their Rivians that's for sure.

#6 ·
Could this be a sign of other factory fitted off-road options to come? If so, I sure hope that's what Rivian has planned because Jeep, Ram, Ford, Chevrolet and other automakers have proven there some real demand for this stuff.

What would everyone here like to see them offer next?

#7 ·
I like the black wheels better, but that raises an interesting question for us. Really, this will be a daily driver for me and we may take it somewhere adventurous once a year or maybe two. Don't hate too much because at $80-$90k, we can't afford to and won't beat it up too much. So, I really like the 22" black sport wheels. I had not thought of powder coating until I saw @Wildabeest post. So, I asked around here where I live and it will be around $1k. Since any wheel other than the standard 21" is going to cost me $1,800, I feel like I am better off paying the $1,700 additional and rolling into the loan. Plus, it's factory and I will likely get the wheel and tire protection and won't then void it assuming Rivian offers something like it as part of its insurance plan.

#10 ·
Question for those more knowledgeable about off road. Are the tires really much noisier or just a bit?

I want to try off road and there are some nice spots near me, but I am afraid my wife will be complaining about the noise on regular trips and commuting.

I should add that the R1S will be mostly her car.

#18 ·
I'm going with the free 22" option with the R1S, but I'm going to be changing out the wheels. I'm simply after the more expensive 22" tires. I'm not a fan of any of their wheel designs, and will be replacing with a nice 22" aftermarket wheel shortly after getting my R1S. By doing this, I won't need to be new tires also.

#37 ·
It's been discussed before here a bit...but are we all in agreement that 20 inch rims will be more comfortable feeling on the road (and off road) and offer more miles per charge vs. 22 inch rims? I thought larger rims on an ICE would yield more mpg as it's more distance per turn, but I'm not sure in an EV if the extra energy to move them plays in?

#38 ·
That is the normal thought, the larger sidewall the more comfort.

Personally I never really noticed the difference in comfort as much.

I put 19s on a mini cooper and 24s on a Tahoe, never really felt the ride comfort difference but handling on the road was a major improvement with the smaller sidewalls. I also saw a negative impact on gas consumption on both but not as much as I actually was anticipating it to be.

I'm getting the 22s on the R1S as I am on pavement 90% of the time and want the handling that they should provide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.