Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many here, I am looking between the 20" AT versus 22" AS options. I will not be driving off road (at least intentionally). I happen to be an emergency physician in the Indianapolis area. Currently I have dedicated snow tires for our all wheel drive vehicles but would love to avoid the hassle of seasonal wheel/tire changes. As I see it, the 20" AT option will have better snow traction than the 22" AS and more side wall (5.41" versus 7.04") for a more comfortable ride and better pot hole / expansion joint absorption but may be louder and a little sloppy due to more sidewall flex? The 22" will probably handle better on road but may ride rougher though more quietly?

For someone who has driven on both, what is your take?

Thank you in advance,
Sean from Indy - still waiting for the elusive R1S:)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Like many here, I am looking between the 20" AT versus 22" AS options. I will not be driving off road (at least intentionally). I happen to be an emergency physician in the Indianapolis area. Currently I have dedicated snow tires for our all wheel drive vehicles but would love to avoid the hassle of seasonal wheel/tire changes. As I see it, the 20" AT option will have better snow traction than the 22" AS and more side wall (5.41" versus 7.04") for a more comfortable ride and better pot hole / expansion joint absorption but may be louder and a little sloppy due to more sidewall flex? The 22" will probably handle better on road but may ride rougher though more quietly?

Thank you in advance,
I would not worry about the sidewall size not being comfortable. I have a Jeep GC running 265 /50 R20 with a 5.2 inch sidewall and the ride is very good. It has the quad-r-trac air suspension so I think it will be very similar to the R1S on 22s which is how I have mine configured.

·
Registered
237 Posts

Thank you in advance,
I’ve driven all 3 sets. Looks aside for normal day to day use the 21” is without a doubt the best option. It’s the most comfortable, and the quietest.

Between the 20” and the 22” I would give the 20” the edge for snow performance. But ride quality and noise is fairly similar.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I thought the 20" was more comfortable than the 22". I have the 20". Plus its easier to get replacement tires (I think).
I thought the 20" was more comfortable than the 22". I have the 20". Plus its easier to get replacement tires (I think).
Thats what everyone says, but riding in them it wasn’t that way. It might just be that we’ve repeated it on here that many times and not many of us drove them back to back.

If you go to Pirellis website and pull it up, they’re rated for comfort by Pirelli themselves.

I don’t agree with it fully as the 21” are more comfortable to me than the 22s, but interesting nonetheless.

20” Comfort Rating: 7/10
21” Comfort Rating: 9/10
22” Comfort Rating: 9/10

There are definitely more tire options for the 20s

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thats what everyone says, but riding in them it wasn’t that way. It might just be that we’ve repeated it on here that many times and not many of us drove them back to back.

If you go to Pirellis website and pull it up, they’re rated for comfort by Pirelli themselves.

I don’t agree with it fully as the 21” are more comfortable to me than the 22s, but interesting nonetheless.

20” Comfort Rating: 7/10
21” Comfort Rating: 9/10
22” Comfort Rating: 9/10

There are definitely more tire options for the 20s

I should have said, I have experienced both. When I drove an R1T with the 22s it was a bit louder and I felt the bumps and holes in the road more. Could be that the road was in worse shape though.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have the 21's and its super comfortable and ultra quiet! When I drove one on 20's I could feel more body roll in soft suspension mode but it wasn't a bad thing, and once in stiff mode it was notably less. You really cant go wrong with any of them but if your main concern is winter driving then maybe the AT 20's is the way to go...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appreciate everyone's insights/comments. Ultimately decided to switch my configuration from 22" Sport Bright to 20" AT. I like both wheels but keep getting drawn back into the 20" wheels more. Plus I am hoping to avoid 2 sets of wheels/tires which is getting increasingly difficulty to lug around especially given the weight of these wheel/tire combinations.

Thanks again
Sean

·
Registered
3 Posts
Appreciate everyone's insights/comments. Ultimately decided to switch my configuration from 22" Sport Bright to 20" AT. I like both wheels but keep getting drawn back into the 20" wheels more. Plus I am hoping to avoid 2 sets of wheels/tires which is getting increasingly difficulty to lug around especially given the weight of these wheel/tire combinations.

Thanks again
Sean
Good choice, I just did a week in a loaner on 22s while mine was in the shop (I have 20s). Loved the way they felt on dry roads but they’re pretty worthless in the snow. If I had more garage space I’d have 21s or 22s with true summer sport tires, 20” with ATs, and 20” snows.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts