Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Looks like they are trying to copy Rivian by having a fully illuminated front "bar".
(Or, would Rivian be copying Ford if they launch an EV truck before Rivian releases our LE's?)

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it. That F-150 is one tired and sad looking truck compared the the Rivian IMHO.

I really hope Rivian pulls off a few guide phone calls this month and can stay on track with some deliveries next month!

What a design difference when you start with a clean slate like Rivian did.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
(Or, would Rivian be copying Ford if they launch an EV truck before Rivian releases our LE's?)

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it. That F-150 is one tired and sad looking truck compared the the Rivian IMHO.

I really hope Rivian pulls off a few guide phone calls this month and can stay on track with some deliveries next month!

What a design difference when you start with a clean slate like Rivian did.
way to go to judge something prior to unveil.. can tell you this .. my F150 ownership since age 16 has never let me down and the truck did what it was designed to do .. same with the F150 Lightning. Lets get a few things out of the way here:

1. Rivian is unproven in all things Pickups/cars
2. F150 is the best selling truck
3. Rivian products is adventure themed vs F150 being your "blue collar" work pickup
4. Ford knows the pickup market, it has tons of experience of building a pickup product for a market demand
5. June is 2 wks away .. & we, as deposit holders, still haven't gotten any real, nitty and gritty info from Rivian, EPA range, MMI, range under tow, etc ..

so before you bash/judge the F150 Lightning.. suggest you watch the unveil tomorrow as the F150 will be that 1 truck that will bring EV Pickup to the forefront .. it won't be Rivian, doesn't matter if i am a 2x R1T and 1 R1S deposit holder

·
Registered
936 Posts
I don't disagree with you. That F-150 is an awesome gateway vehicle into the world of EV's for traditional F-150 customers. You nailed it! I'm quite certain the F-150 Lightening is not for me, but there are definitely more people that will gravitate toward the F-150 based on all the factors you mention, and it was made for THEM.

If I wasn't clear, and at the bottom of my post, I was talking about DESIGN. From the reveal today, I would say not much has changed from a design perspective. Sorry if my impression is that the design of the lightening is "sad" but you aren't going to change my opinion (based on what I saw today). I'm glad you like it and everything the F-150 represents to you.

From what I've seen so far, the F-150 pre-reveal only bolsters my hope that Rivian can deliver (to your point of the Rivian being unproven - at least in the public market as a production vehicle).

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
way to go to judge something prior to unveil.. can tell you this .. my F150 ownership since age 16 has never let me down and the truck did what it was designed to do .. same with the F150 Lightning. Lets get a few things out of the way here:

1. Rivian is unproven in all things Pickups/cars
2. F150 is the best selling truck
3. Rivian products is adventure themed vs F150 being your "blue collar" work pickup
4. Ford knows the pickup market, it has tons of experience of building a pickup product for a market demand
5. June is 2 wks away .. & we, as deposit holders, still haven't gotten any real, nitty and gritty info from Rivian, EPA range, MMI, range under tow, etc ..

so before you bash/judge the F150 Lightning.. suggest you watch the unveil tomorrow as the F150 will be that 1 truck that will bring EV Pickup to the forefront .. it won't be Rivian, doesn't matter if i am a 2x R1T and 1 R1S deposit holder
Sometimes “unproven” is a good thing. If not for not having much to lose (aka “unproven), Tesla would not have done what they did. No mainstream auto manufacturer would have pushed out anything like autopilot. Too much brand value to risk since one bad outcome would get overblown by the media and taint that brand. That’s just one example. The industry needs innovators and disrupters. Mainstream companies are not known for that. Exactly the opposite.

·
Registered
936 Posts
the F150 will be that 1 truck that will bring EV Pickup to the forefront .. it won't be Rivian, doesn't matter if i am a 2x R1T and 1 R1S deposit holder
FWIW, I think Ford did an amazing job with the configuration, off-road features and exterior design of the 4 door Bronco. My guess is that if Ford could figure out a way to deliver that vehicle on some sort of a pure EV skateboard, it would give the R1S a big run for its money: 2021 Ford Bronco: What We Know So Far

·
Registered
5 Posts
If I wasn't clear, and at the bottom of my post, I was talking about DESIGN. From the reveal today, I would say not much has changed from a design perspective. Sorry if my impression is that the design of the lightening is "sad" but you aren't going to change my opinion (based on what I saw today). I'm glad you like it and everything the F-150 represents to you.
I agree with you here. When I saw this picture my thoughts were "wow, that is a missed opportunity to make a good first impression". It feels like they're trying to make it look dull to keep selling the Raptors and King Ranches of the world that look bad ass.

I have no doubt though that they will deliver on performance, range etc. So far they seems to have done a good job with the Mach-E.

I look forward seeing more detailed pictures and specs for the Lightning later today.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with you here. When I saw this picture my thoughts were "wow, that is a missed opportunity to make a good first impression". It feels like they're trying to make it look dull to keep selling the Raptors and King Ranches of the world that look bad ass.

I have no doubt though that they will deliver on performance, range etc. So far they seems to have done a good job with the Mach-E.

I look forward seeing more detailed pictures and specs for the Lightning later today.
I can't believe Ford appears to have based this "All Electric" truck off their 2021 F150 Body. If it was a plug in hybrid I could understand, but with it being their first "All Electric" truck I would of expected a completely new design. Needless to say I'm not impressed so far.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Even though some of us may not be overly impressed by the first impression, that may be their exact intent... Since it is their best selling truck (puddle made this point loud and clear), and since everything is inevitably moving in the EV direction from all manufacturers, they have a chance to move the tried and true, died in the wool F-150 customer base into something that is probably considered "extreme" to their core constituent base much more easily, if it looks and acts like the good 'ole F-150! It's not a bad thing for them if they want to keep selling, what sells. They aren't trying to be Rivian, and the Lightening doesn't look to be stealing any marketshare away from people that have their mind set on a Rivian to begin with (LE pre-order customers at least).

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Even though some of us may not be overly impressed by the first impression, that may be their exact intent... Since it is their best selling truck (puddle made this point loud and clear), and since everything is inevitably moving in the EV direction from all manufacturers, they have a chance to move the tried and true, died in the wool F-150 customer base into something that is probably considered "extreme" to their core constituent base much more easily, if it looks and acts like the good 'ole F-150! It's not a bad thing for them if they want to keep selling, what sells. They aren't trying to be Rivian, and the Lightening doesn't look to be stealing any marketshare away from people that have their mind set on a Rivian to begin with (LE pre-order customers at least).
Well said and there are many examples. The Wrangler 4xe is another one, and the next will be the 2023 Silverado EV. Also the fact Ford only made radical changes in a completely new segment with its first BEV (the Mach-E) and sees crazy success with it, also backs up their approach so far.

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
324 Posts
I must say that at 40k before tax credits I already put down the 100 dollars for reservation. I am really tempted. I want to have a cheap electric car as a second vehicle and that would work perfectly.

Unless Rivian R1T can come close to that price point with the small battery, which I doubt, it's going to be a R1S + F-150 lightning household.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well said and there are many examples. The Wrangler 4xe is another one, and the next will be the 2023 Silverado EV. Also the fact Ford only made radical changes in a completely new segment with its first BEV (the Mach-E) and sees crazy success with it, also backs up their approach so far.
Ford impressed me more than expected. Dual onboard chargers sounds like a great idea for fast charging. Still hoping Rivian can get my LE order through before the F150 is available. The Mach E went extremely quick from introduction to production. If Ford can pull this off with the Lightning I may have a hard decision to make.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
I must say that at 40k before tax credits I already put down the 100 dollars for reservation. I am really tempted. I want to have a cheap electric car as a second vehicle and that would work perfectly.

Unless Rivian R1T can come close to that price point with the small battery, which I doubt, it's going to be a R1S + F-150 lightning household.
Same here. Likely won’t buy it, but maybe my son will want it.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I'm scrolling through Ford's press release and here's some of the specs they shared.

F-150 Lightning Starting price - $39,974 (before credits)
F-150 Lightning XLT price - $52,974 (before credits)
563 horsepower
775 lb.-ft. of torque
0-60 mph time in the mid-4-seconds
Maximum 2,000 pounds of payload (standard-range model with 18-inch wheels)
Maximum 10,000 pounds of available towing capacity (XLT and Lariat trucks with extended-range battery and Max Trailer Tow Package)

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Ford impressed me more than expected. Dual onboard chargers sounds like a great idea for fast charging. Still hoping Rivian can get my LE order through before the F150 is available. The Mach E went extremely quick from introduction to production. If Ford can pull this off with the Lightning I may have a hard decision to make.
It gets even better, Ford is putting a dent into Tesla sales...

·
Registered
439 Posts
It gets even better, Ford is putting a dent into Tesla sales...
Not sure how much is because of the new vehicle options and how much is the chip shortage.

Tesla just revamped their Model S and Model X and were supposed to start deliveries in February but delays in the retooling of the Fremont factory and then the chip shortage has really pushed it out. I've seen some estimates the Model X may not start deliveries until late 4th quarter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.