Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
This rig weighs more than a ford super duty. You’ll have plenty of grip regardless of the wheel size/tire type you choose. Bigger wheels with smaller sidewalls are generally noiser and ride rkugher. Not good in a place with lots of potholes.

· Registered
528 Posts
This rig weighs more than a ford super duty. You’ll have plenty of grip regardless of the wheel size/tire type you choose. Bigger wheels with smaller sidewalls are generally noiser and ride rkugher. Not good in a place with lots of potholes.
It dosn’t work that way. Heavier is worse on ice. The best winter vehicles are AWD cars: Subaru, Quattro Audi/4 matic MB sedans,…. The only winter scenario where heavier is better is fresh lose snow over firm, then heavy vehicle with tall skinny tires (think semi) does slightly better since it dosn’t get tossed around by loose ruts. In the winter My sons 2004 e320 4 matic on Hakka 7’s drives circles around my LX570 on Hakka 9’s, ~3500lbs vs -6200 lbs.

· Registered
27 Posts
I’ve looked into this quite a bit as I drive in Vermont every weekend in the winter. I’m partial to Nokian snow tires.

On the 21s, Nokian makes a 275/50 winter tire (stock is 275/55) that should work but will have a smaller radius and affect the speedometer. 275/50R21 Winter tires / Nokian Tires

On the 20” wheels Nokian also makes a 275/60 winter tire (stock is 275/65) so same situation. These tires would have the same overall diameter of the 21s and 22s so you may be able to get an accurate speedometer if you can change the wheel size somehow in the software.
On the 22s Nokian has officially recommended a winter tire for the Rivian: Tires for electric cars / Nokian Tires

And all of these are heavier than the Rivian Pirellis which are light weight for EVs, so will probably reduce range.

· Registered
528 Posts
I’ve looked into this quite a bit as I drive in Vermont every weekend in the winter. I’m partial to Nokian snow tires.

On the 21s, Nokian makes a 275/50 winter tire (stock is 275/55) size winter tire that should work but will have a smaller radius and affect the speedometer. 275/50R21 Winter tires / Nokian Tires

On the 20” wheels Nokian also makes a 275/60 winter tire (stock is 275/65) so same situation. These tires would have the same overall diameter of the 21s and 22s so you may be able to get an accurate speedometer if you can change the wheel size somehow in the software.
On the 22s Nokian has officially recommended a winter tire for the Rivian: Tires for electric cars / Nokian Tires
I’ve run “smaller” 265/60-18 (30.5”) winter tires (Nokian Hakka 7) on my Lexus LX570 for all 9 winters (I’ll get new ones this fall) I’ve had it. I run this size Due to availability of narrower 265 width. I’m on 285/75-17 (33.8”) in the summer. I don’t notice much of a difference other then my winter tires ride softer (p metric vs LT) and the truck sits ~2” lower, both are good things in the winter. My speedometer is right on in the summer and ~3mph higher then actual at 65mph (so actually going ~62mph) in the winter
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
4 Posts
I purchased my R1-T through the Rivian shop as I had an immediate need for a vehicle. Consequently it was not exactly as originally configured. It came equipped with 22" sport wheels and I wanted true winter tires, not all terrain. Rivian service would not mount "third party tires due to safety concerns", so I had Discount Tire mount a set of 275/50 Nokian Hakkapellita R5 SUV tires that were purchased through Simple Tire. I drove the truck in some 10" deep unpacked snow with the original tires, and on packed snow with both. There is no question that the turning response, and most significantly, the braking are much better with the Hakas. In the spring I'll keep the 22's as the winter wheel set and get a second wheel/tire set (either the 21" all season or 20" all terrain) and sell the 22" all season tires. I will drive the truck on dirt roads, but do not plan any "off roading". Not a real test of the tires but I am much happier with the Hakas.

· Registered
2022 R1T no spare, no tonneau, El Cap, dark 22's
78 Posts
I purchased my R1-T through the Rivian shop as I had an immediate need for a vehicle. Consequently it was not exactly as originally configured. It came equipped with 22" sport wheels and I wanted true winter tires, not all terrain. Rivian service would not mount "third party tires due to safety concerns", so I had Discount Tire mount a set of 275/50 Nokian Hakkapellita R5 SUV tires that were purchased through Simple Tire. I drove the truck in some 10" deep unpacked snow with the original tires, and on packed snow with both. There is no question that the turning response, and most significantly, the braking are much better with the Hakas. In the spring I'll keep the 22's as the winter wheel set and get a second wheel/tire set (either the 21" all season or 20" all terrain) and sell the 22" all season tires. I will drive the truck on dirt roads, but do not plan any "off roading". Not a real test of the tires but I am much happier with the Hakas.
I had my first snow experience in upstate New York last night. I have the 22's. On the local roads with about 2 inches of wet and a bit of icy snow they were barely adequate. I went up a small grassy hill at the end of my driveway and when I came to a stop the truck slid about 2 feet backwards. it was very unpleasant backing down with stone walls on either side and at that point the surface had become icy.
I've been driving since the 60's, NY, midwest, blizzards, mountains, but this was unpleasant.

looking of winter tires today.

· Registered
1,121 Posts
I purchased a set of LT3 Hakkas for winter driving right after our first snowfall, after noticing the 20 AT's weren't going to be nearly as good as dedicated snows... I was willing to give them a chance, but will now have 2 vehicles with dedicated snows for winter. I look at at it this way, you are going to wear your tires out eventually (and probably faster with the R1T), so might as well bite the bullet and have the right tires for winter. In my case, I will re-mount my AT's on a second set of wheels in the spring (maybe the Thurens, since those will be even better wheels for the AT's and are the same OEM spec as the R1T 20's) and not be wearing out my AT's in the winter when their performance will be that much worse anyway.

· Registered
78 Posts
I purchased a set of LT3 Hakkas for winter driving right after our first snowfall, after noticing the 20 AT's weren't going to be nearly as good as dedicated snows... I was willing to give them a chance, but will now have 2 vehicles with dedicated snows for winter. I look at at it this way, you are going to wear your tires out eventually (and probably faster with the R1T), so might as well bite the bullet and have the right tires for winter. In my case, I will re-mount my AT's on a second set of wheels in the spring (maybe the Thurens, since those will be even better wheels for the AT's and are the same OEM spec as the R1T 20's) and not be wearing out my AT's in the winter when their performance will be that much worse anyway.
I found he Nokians, which size 20's are you using? do we have to go to the SC to get recalibrated?
thanks

· Registered
78 Posts
I have 22's, won't switching to 20's require recalibration? Wheel choice? Thurens are expensive anything else. my wife who will be very occasional driver has an attraction to curbs in NYC.

· Registered
78 Posts
I have 22's, won't switching to 20's require recalibration? Wheel choice? Thurens are expensive anything else. my wife who will be very occasional driver has an attraction to curbs in NYC.
I found a set of 20x 9 Beast wheels from Wheel pros and Nokians 275 65 20. Mounted and balanced with hubcentric adapters and they ride at least as well as the 22’s Smooth and quiet. Haven’t tested them in snow but I am optimistic with all I’ve read

21 - 34 of 34 Posts