Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my r1t. I’m considering ordering the black 22”. Any thoughts on switching to these tires. The load is 3500 lb per tire I assume. Nitto Terra Grappler G2 - 285/55R22
Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I recently posted a question about this- options of tires on the 22’s. I suggest searching the site- there’s a lot of good commentary already.

this said- the tires are 275/50/22

the options I found we’re not great- maybe 4 or 5 on the market.

I like the idea of a more aggresive tread like the 20’s. but haven’t found the ideal solution.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
So on my r1t. I’m considering ordering the black 22”. Any thoughts on switching to these tires. The load is 3500 lb per tire I assume. Nitto Terra Grappler G2 - 285/55R22
Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Hey Mikey the tires that come on the 22 inch wheels are Pirelli Scorpions, just to clarify are you thinking of switching to the Nittos?

If you're thinking of getting a more off-road focused tire you might want to look at the BFG KO2 or Toyo Open Country AT3s as well.

·
Registered
261 Posts
No way you should go on the type of terrain that would call for an AT tire on 22” rims. No where near enough sidewall. Even the 20” isn’t enough sidewall, the 22 would be major risk for pinch flats. For basic dirt roads street tires are just fine. I have run (and I know a lot of others that do as well) Michelin defender LTX and off-road fairly hard and technical. AT tires are way overkill for the vast majority of people.

·
Registered
293 Posts
They're tires. Given, the tires that come with the vehicle were specifically designed for the Rivian, but, as long as the load rating is adequate, get what you like. Many will want a more aggressive tire, be it for appearance or off-road use. As a 7,000 lb vehicle, it may wear out other tires faster than the stock tires will wear out, so cost factor increases a bit. But, if you're buying a Rivian at $80,000 +/-, a few hundred more in tires likely isn't a big issue. Maybe they wear out in 20,000 miles instead of 30,000 miles. But, if you get something that gives you the look and/or use you want, go for it.

I've had Tesla's for years. They want something like $450 per tire on my car for the stock tire. I buy the cheapest tire I can find that suits my preferences. Last set, I paid about $550 for the entire set. Even I wear them out twice as fast, I still came out way ahead.

If you're planning on any type of heavy off-roading, as others stated, would not go with 22's. 20's are better suited, but can still get a tire you like for 20's as well. My plan is to get a tire more with a "mudder" type appearance, simply for aesthetics than for use. Probably will wear them out twice as fast, but, they'll also likely be half the cost of the stock Pirelli tires that come with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@R99 Really like the tread pattern of the terra grappler. This size is right around 34” Just don’t really understand most of the other specs. The load rating seems right
They're tires. Given, the tires that come with the vehicle were specifically designed for the Rivian, but, as long as the load rating is adequate, get what you like. Many will want a more aggressive tire, be it for appearance or off-road use. As a 7,000 lb vehicle, it may wear out other tires faster than the stock tires will wear out, so cost factor increases a bit. But, if you're buying a Rivian at $80,000 +/-, a few hundred more in tires likely isn't a big issue. Maybe they wear out in 20,000 miles instead of 30,000 miles. But, if you get something that gives you the look and/or use you want, go for it.

I've had Tesla's for years. They want something like $450 per tire on my car for the stock tire. I buy the cheapest tire I can find that suits my preferences. Last set, I paid about $550 for the entire set. Even I wear them out twice as fast, I still came out way ahead.

If you're planning on any type of heavy off-roading, as others stated, would not go with 22's. 20's are better suited, but can still get a tire you like for 20's as well. My plan is to get a tire more with a "mudder" type appearance, simply for aesthetics than for use. Probably will wear them out twice as fast, but, they'll also likely be half the cost of the stock Pirelli tires that come with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the response. So really like the look of 22 with at tires. And the trrra grapplers aren’t overly aggressive. Wouldn’t be doing much off-roading.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you want an AT for looks what about more of a street orientated hybrid like BFG trail-terrain, or cooper AT3? Will give you much better road/wet/dry traction then an AT. Most people don’t realize this but most AT tires are intended to perform much better off road then on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts