Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hate is real. Got this article in my Google feed today. The comments on the article are worse. Pure ignorance and false information. Sad world we live in

Rivian Falls Apart

Tire Automotive tire Tread Wood Road surface

NASDAQ: RIVN) recently gave up on a promising deal with one of the world’s premier car and truck companies. It had a partnership to make vans with Mercedes-Benz Vans. The arrangement was only three months old. It is an example of how badly Rivian has struggled to find direction as management gropes toward a future that likely is no longer there.
Rivian is barely in business. It delivered 6,584 vehicles in the third quarter. Management celebrated. Of course, there is a reason. Rivian might have yet to deliver any. While it has 114,000 reservations for its R1 truck, all these are subject to cancellation. These should not give investors any confidence.

Rivian has another distinction. It lost $1.7 billion last quarter. That loss level is usually only posted in bad quarters for the world’s largest car companies. Rivian did it as one of the smallest.
Rivian faces several buzz saws. The most powerful of these is the Ford F-150 Lightning. It is the electric version of the top-selling vehicle in the United States. This is a distinction the F-150 has held for decades. Ford likely has at least 6 million of these on the road, giving it a massive customer base to which to market the Lightening.
Elon Musk’s Tesla will start production of the company’s Cybertruck in a year. Tesla’s brand and spot as the world's top electric vehicle company give it strong leverage with potential customers.
ALSO READ: The 21 Companies Making the Most Profit per Second
Rivian’s other challenge is that every major car company will have an electric pickup on the road within two to three years. While each may only have a modest market share, the avalanche of models will overwhelm Rivian, if it is still around.
Wall Street already has passed its judgment. Rivian’s stock trades near $26, down from a 52-week high of $121.64.

· Registered
R1T
39 Posts
Wow. what a poorly written article. Very limited in facts, just supposition and emotional statements. No clear arguments along with incorrect conclusions. Very sad indeed.

· Registered
149 Posts
I am not sure that article was even written by a human - seems almost AI generated to me. I also get the impression that part of the site is more like Forbes.com where anyone can submit content and its not edited or anything like that.

· Registered
2,718 Posts
Wow. what a poorly written article. Very limited in facts, just supposition and emotional statements. No clear arguments along with incorrect conclusions. Very sad indeed.
The link at the end gives it away, they were just trying to come up with a quick advertorial rather than provide info that's actually useful. Quite short sighted. You'd think MSN would do better, but no.

· Registered
25 Posts
Rivian is failing and the market sees it. Failed van deals and failure to meet market expectations. The final straw is they can’t meet early adopter’s expectations (meeting delivery expectations). Rising interest rates and falling gas prices aren’t favorable winds for their “sales”.

· Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
327 Posts
Wasn't this the same crap that was on MSNBC? Yes they lost money but that is what happens when you are starting out, which they are. Yes they walked away from the Benz deal, but none us know the reason why. Maybe it was taking away from the focus on delivering cars, maybe Benz wanted space in the factory for their vans, maybe this or that we don't know.

The world is stuck with this instant gratification crap, I want my money now, my stock price to go up and up, my profits to go up every quater/week, that isn't reality.

· Registered
25 Posts
No it’s market dynamics. This is more than an EV craze. They have never reached market entropy. It’s okay to love the concept. I’ve loved the concept since my order in sept of 2019 but I’m not blind to the burn rate and failure to generate exponential revenue growth.
Love and business are two different things. I’m not optimist they can over come their lost opportunity window. The market sees they have lost the advantage with Amazon and aren’t willing to settle on the new investors for the van.

· Registered
26 Posts
What I read is that the Mercedes deal is on hold to focus on the orders pending first. I saw an R1S for the first time on the road last week & I see the trucks maybe one a week in the Bay Area, CA.
It's really hard to tell if the other companies will catch up & surpass. I haven't seen another EV truck on the road though, they're doing something right for now.
Apple had to scratch a few of their ideas to grow (Anyone remember eWorld?). They switched gears a number of time to figure out the best solution for their market.
I've also worked for a start up that promised & couldn't deliver, that's kind of how the start ups work. Time will tell, not counting Rivian out.

· Registered
8 Posts
Look, Rivian has its problems. And, I'll bet all the other EV manufactures have issues. Just the other day, I heard Lucid's having problems with order cancellations. I'm not following them, so I don't know what their issues are. But, those cancellations were a very small percentage. I'm sure Rivian has had some cancellations as well. All I know is, Rivian is the ONLY manufacturer building and delivering the SUV I've been dreaming about for years. Plus, they seem to be satisfactorily addressing problems that arise. Therefore, I'm sticking with them unless something better, more capable and in a similar or cheap price point arrives.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OMG! Better get my $100 or $1000; whatever it was; back. Going to stand in line for a F150 now. I believe everything I read on the internets without checking other sources and forming an intelligent independent conclusion.

Wonder if Rivian can sue for libel.
“Wonder if Rivian can sue for libel”. They should

· Registered
15 Posts
You all need to chill....This company has plenty of runway with an incredible product. Tesla had numerous haters when it started out. Some of the largest hedge funds in the world shorted the stock....company was left for dead many times.
They all got their clocks cleaned....Forget the hyperbole and keep you eye on production. that's all that matters for an auto start up..Cash burn is expected for quite some time...
Follow Adam Jonas of Morgan Stanley, arguably the best auto analyst in the business as opposed to the knuckle heads who talk out of their..........
And for you haters out there..enjoy yourselves...you'll eventually move on to something else you secretly envy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts