Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MAY 2019 preorder: Launch Edition R1T - Rivian Blue exterior & Ocean Coast interior San Diego
Delivery date: March/April 2022
New "Delivery Date": October/ Dec 2022:(

• The Kubler-Ross Grief Model states those experiencing grief go through a series of five emotions: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance (I'm between depression and acceptance 🤷‍♂️)
  • Disingenuous communication really began with me with the 3/1/22 email with price increases from "Team Rivian" and the follow up apology email from RJ 48 hours later after intense public backlash.
    • There's a lot of chatter and class action litigation on the timing of the IPO and offer to preholders in 11/21 (Rivian Automotive, Inc. Securities Class Litigation)
      • I as well purchased IPO stock in belief of Rivian's sustainability in the EV market and stunned at the 3/1/22 price increase email timed after this IPO
        • Note that manufacturing numbers had to be released prior to the IPO offering with full disclosure.
  • Over the last 3 years, as a shareholder of this company, I've personally reflected on how I found a company & culture I believed in, fascinated with RJ's vision from a roadster to a truck/ SUV. The Rivian narrative aligns with who I am, someone who is attracted to promising, creative disruption.
  • I speak for those like me who are still waiting, who are respectfully frustrated.
    • It's like being in a slow lunchroom line, where I've already invested in the time while getting more hungry. At some point, here's the dilemma: do I leave the line and find another starting all over in some other line, or do I stay put in light of the time invested?
  • I indeed was given a delivery date: March/April 2022 that my two calls to customer service assured would be met, however, my guide just informed me of a new "Delivery Date": October/ Dec 2022
    • 3.6 years
    • The reason I've been told is my configuration and this forum has verified that this to be a consistent message.
  • What's my point? Before 3/1/22 (email about price increases), there was impending JOY with finding a company whom I believed in enough to tell people as an early innovator/ adopter---
    • Today, that joy has evaporated. This now is a simple business transaction that I still seek to complete because I'm in that lunchroom line.
    • This fractured experience has now led to me speak about this to those around me, several of whom now have heard of Rivian but in negative light. They obviously have no plans to place any Rivian order in light of the uncertainties and in fact, joke about my waiting period at this point.
    • One brought up an interesting point: If the Rivian Team communication process has been this disingenuous, what makes you think that SERVICE will be any different?:oops:

·
Registered
941 Posts
All valid concerns, but didn't your guide offer an alternative configuration if you wanted it sooner? What is the current snaffu? Ocean Coast?

Side note: I'm guessing (pure speculation) that OC interior did not fair as well as they had hoped-for out in the real world with product testing, and may have created concern about complaints. Once people bring dogs, muck, blue jeans, food & drink into their clean, white interiors, they might have found that white didn't really stay "as white" as they had hoped for inside an Adventure Vehicle. Again, I have zero insight, and this might not be relevant to your configuration, but as a current truck owner, with kids and dogs that spill things and get muddy and track dirt, mud, snow and sand from their adventures into every corner of my truck, I could not fathom an interior like OC working well for most truck-oriented people, but YMMV.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'm guessing (pure speculation)
Yeah, pure speculation. We know Ocean Coast is delayed for some reason, and the reason they gave was the wood, not the upholstery color. It you know some facts that contradict this, then clue us in. Throwing out theories is not real helpful. And BTW Ocean Coast isn't "white".

All the cars I've ever owned have had light colored interiors - either cloth, "vegan" leather or real leather. I've never had a problem keeping them clean inside. Even my 2000 4Runner with tan interior still looks fine after 22 years of mostly off-pavement use (with kids and dogs ...).

Choosing Black because it doesn't show dirt doesn't mean you won't have to clean it. You could always get one of those clear-plastic slipcovers for your seats if you're concerned about dirt.:)

·
Registered
2022 Rivian R1T
53 Posts
MAY 2019 preorder: Launch Edition R1T - Rivian Blue exterior & Ocean Coast interior San Diego
Delivery date: March/April 2022
New "Delivery Date": October/ Dec 2022:(

• The Kubler-Ross Grief Model states those experiencing grief go through a series of five emotions: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance (I'm between depression and acceptance 🤷‍♂️)
  • Disingenuous communication really began with me with the 3/1/22 email with price increases from "Team Rivian" and the follow up apology email from RJ 48 hours later after intense public backlash.
    • There's a lot of chatter and class action litigation on the timing of the IPO and offer to preholders in 11/21 (Rivian Automotive, Inc. Securities Class Litigation)
      • I as well purchased IPO stock in belief of Rivian's sustainability in the EV market and stunned at the 3/1/22 price increase email timed after this IPO
        • Note that manufacturing numbers had to be released prior to the IPO offering with full disclosure.
  • Over the last 3 years, as a shareholder of this company, I've personally reflected on how I found a company & culture I believed in, fascinated with RJ's vision from a roadster to a truck/ SUV. The Rivian narrative aligns with who I am, someone who is attracted to promising, creative disruption.
  • I speak for those like me who are still waiting, who are respectfully frustrated.
    • It's like being in a slow lunchroom line, where I've already invested in the time while getting more hungry. At some point, here's the dilemma: do I leave the line and find another starting all over in some other line, or do I stay put in light of the time invested?
  • I indeed was given a delivery date: March/April 2022 that my two calls to customer service assured would be met, however, my guide just informed me of a new "Delivery Date": October/ Dec 2022
    • 3.6 years
    • The reason I've been told is my configuration and this forum has verified that this to be a consistent message.
  • What's my point? Before 3/1/22 (email about price increases), there was impending JOY with finding a company whom I believed in enough to tell people as an early innovator/ adopter---
    • Today, that joy has evaporated. This now is a simple business transaction that I still seek to complete because I'm in that lunchroom line.
    • This fractured experience has now led to me speak about this to those around me, several of whom now have heard of Rivian but in negative light. They obviously have no plans to place any Rivian order in light of the uncertainties and in fact, joke about my waiting period at this point.
    • One brought up an interesting point: If the Rivian Team communication process has been this disingenuous, what makes you think that SERVICE will be any different?:oops:
This sucks, I’m sorry to hear it. Reading through the forums, it’s hard to fathom why they wouldn’t do all they could to deliver the earliest preorders first. I can understand if they prefer to delivery geographically common customers at once, but not at the expense of much earlier preorder holders.

I placed my preorder 2/20, and was contacted by my guide to schedule delivery in early April (delayed from October 21, delayed from June ’21), however, while on the call, my Rivian guide actually offered the same configuration, only with a black interior, indicating I’d be able to take delivery of that combination the following week, rather than waiting until the end of the month.

I had ordered mine with the Ocean Coast interior, and had planned to change it to the green (my wife told me i was stupid to get a white interior bc we live on a farm, and she was right, but I was hesitant to change anything lest it slow down my delivery).

At any rate, i jumped at the opportunity, and even forewent the spare tire, charger, and cross rails to get it when it was available. To date, everything has arrived saved for the spare.

Yeah, pure speculation. We know Ocean Coast is delayed for some reason, and the reason they gave was the wood, not the upholstery color. It you know some facts that contradict this, then clue us in. Throwing out theories is not real helpful. And BTW Ocean Coast isn't "white".

All the cars I've ever owned have had light colored interiors - either cloth, "vegan" leather or real leather. I've never had a problem keeping them clean inside. Even my 2000 4Runner with tan interior still looks fine after 22 years of mostly off-pavement use (with kids and dogs ...).

Choosing Black because it doesn't show dirt doesn't mean you won't have to clean it. You could always get one of those clear-plastic slipcovers for your seats if you're concerned about dirt.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All valid concerns, but didn't your guide offer an alternative configuration if you wanted it sooner? What is the current snaffu? Ocean Coast? Side note: I'm guessing (pure speculation) that OC interior did not fair as well as they had hoped-for out in the real world with product testing, and may have created concern about complaints. Once people bring dogs, muck, blue jeans, food & drink into their clean, white interiors, they might have found that white didn't really stay "as white" as they had hoped for inside an Adventure Vehicle. Again, I have zero insight, and this might not be relevant to your configuration, but as a current truck owner, with kids and dogs that spill things and get muddy and track dirt, mud, snow and sand from their adventures into every corner of my truck, I could not fathom an interior like OC working well for most truck-oriented people, but YMMV.
MAY 2019 preorder: Launch Edition R1T - Rivian Blue exterior & Ocean Coast interior San Diego Delivery date: March/April 2022 New "Delivery Date": October/ Dec 2022:(
    • 3.6 years
UPDATE: Today is my delivery date. It happened earlier than expected (Oct-Dec 22). The digital process was easy (I went with my own insurance with no trade in). i head to the service center this afternoon.My fingers and toes are crossed that all will be well!

·
Registered
71 Posts
UPDATE: Today is my delivery date. It happened earlier than expected (Oct-Dec 22). The digital process was easy (I went with my own insurance with no trade in). i head to the service center this afternoon.My fingers and toes are crossed that all will be well!
This entire thread is so indicative of what’s happened to this community of late as the early adopters get their vehicles and the pains of investing in an EV start-up really start to show.

OP takes the time to write a novel about how everyone should feel sorry for someone so stuck on his exact configuration that he refused to be maleable enough to work with Rivian to improve his delivery window (choosing alternate available configuration or picking from available inventory in the shop), and then brags that he’s been able to spread negativity throughout his circles as some sort of retribution for his decision to invest in a start-up 2 years before production has even started and deliveries hadn’t even been contemplated when things don’t happen the way he wants.

Now, OP finally gets his $80k+ luxury vehicle and the tantrum is over………. Yet Rivian is still a joke of a company who deserves ridicule from you and your friends because you had to wait longer than you wanted?

Sorry man, but your first-world problems don’t gain as much sympathy as your well-thought out and rather clever post may have expected.

At this point, if I were Rivian, with all they are dealing with fulfilling these orders at a Lightning pace while trying to appease shareholders (of which I’m one)), I’d start telling my pre-March order holders who won’t budge on configuration but will blaspheme the company and Badger employees that they can take thier deposits and shove them. They have plenty of post-March orders to fill full that actually turn a profit.

As of today, I don’t have my truck and I’ve paid in full for it. I’ve been frustrated. I’ve been mad, it hasn’t been perfect and they could do a lot to improve…….. but seriously……. Rivian is now a joke of a company who deserves you and your clan propagating bad press because your delivery didn’t happen the way you wanted? Meh……. Enjoy your truck dude.

FWIW: investing your money into the stock of a company and then encouraging everyone you know to not buy their products and to tell everyone they are a joke……. Is probably not the financial advice you should be receiving.

I sincerely hope you re-evaluate your “disappointment “ and apologize to any employees you may have been rude with in your frustrations. It’s a luxury truck not a life-saving medical procedure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts