Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

322 miles at 88%

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  CommodoreAmiga 
#1 ·
I'm going on a 2500 mile road trip and was surprised that I'm getting 322 miles projected.
I'm really interested in what real life is going to yield. ( I drove a 2019 model X performance, I understand battery conservation on trips )
I have the 21" road tires.
( With decent driving, around 70mph and no launches) anyone coming close?

#2 ·
I’m only 2 weeks of ownership in with 800mi driven on 21” road tires. I have yet to see trips that average much better than 2mi/KWh when driving ~75-80mph with temps in the 30-40deg F range. I think real world range at 100% SOC would be ~250mi in these conditions. That’s in-line with what I was expecting coming from our 2013 Model S. In warmer temps I think something closer to 275 real world will be possible.

#7 ·
Range is way lower with a cold battery ... I don't know your setup, but if your truck is garaged and the battery is at say 55F you're fine, but if you park outside in the super cold and the battery is at 30F or below you're screwed. And yeah cross winds don't help. [Neither does driving at 79mph haha]

#9 ·
I found towing a trailer helps. Well, umm, there’s something wrong with that mode alas
I got the same incredible mileage estimate with my 8 foot ATV trailer. I guess I'll keep it hooked up for the mileage. Half way through a 60 mile round trip, which I started with 75% SOC, it was directing me to a charging station in trailer mode. strange

#6 ·
Yes, lots of people are "coming close" and even significantly exceeding the 2023 EPA range of 328 miles for an R1T on 21" road tires. And the upcoming OTA will be making more of the battery pack reserve available for everyday driving, which will increase that range even more.

I have yet to see trips that average much better than 2mi/KWh when driving ~75-80mph with temps in the 30-40deg F range.
Just did a 33mi drive, all purpose, standard height, 79mph the whole way, 32deg F, with a 15mph cross wind. I got 1.53mi/KWh.
That's probably mostly you. If you always get less than EPA range with your vehicles, the same will be true of your Rivian. Lowering the height makes a big difference on the highway, BTW. So does conserve mode.

Just today I drove ~150 miles, of which ~100 was on the highway. 40 degrees, raining. All-purpose mode, 20" AT tires (which brings the EPA range down by >10%). But I still averaged over 2.2mi/KWh on this trip. I didn't exceed 70mph, spent most of the time around 60mph because that is the limit and because that's about the most I could do in the traffic. I confess to accelerating more than necessary a few times to get around "problem" drivers.

The main factor in efficiency is aerodynamic drag. Rolling friction is small, mechanical efficiency in the gear train is high, and most of the potential energy added when going up hills can be recovered (in an EV) when going down hills. That leaves drag. And drag is proportional to the SQUARE of the velocity.

Because of this, driving at 80mph uses up to 50% more energy as driving at 65mph. ( (80/65)*(80/65) = 1.51)

So if you had driven at 65mph chances are your efficiency would be closer to 2.29mi/KWh.

Regardless, lots of people easily get this kind of efficiency, but it does depend on a lot of things like how and where you drive, cross wind, temperature, etc. Just like with all ICE vehicles.

#8 ·
Yep I know all about the hits to efficiency because we have been driving electric a long time. The problem here on the Kansas prarie is wind/relative velocity. I’m going to make the same drive today that I mentioned above, only today it’s a 19mph wind from the south instead of the north. Temps should be in the 50s so that will help. In our Model S I got to the point where I knew +-5% what kind of range I could expect based on various driving conditions so I’m just trying to recalibrate based on the Rivian’s performance.

#12 · (Edited)
Ross, mine started to do the same thing when I did a hard reset. ( unfortunately I couldn't get the vehicle to fast charge )

It' still giving me range that is not possible but it seems to be getting less.
This time 80% was 340.
Well see, I don't think it liked the hard reset.

#14 ·
The estimate when not towing is already not particularly accurate. The estimate when towing is downright useless.

I understand that adding a trailer with unknown drag and weight can make it more difficult to predict range, but it seems like low-hanging-fruit to add a constraint on the algorithm so that range shown in towing never exceeds all-purpose mode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.