Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Do you need a 3PMS rated replacement tire for snow use?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Was wondering for those that plan to replace your OE tires, who is looking for specifically 3PMS rated tires for snow usage? Is this a big factor in your decision for buying replacement tires?

Feel free to add why you may or may not want a 3PMS rated tire for your vehicle. I'm trying to collect some data regarding the preferences of EV truck buyers out there and would appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
888 Posts
The Pirelli 20's are rated 3PMS. What size are you talking about here? 20's on the OEM rim will be better than the other OEM sizes in snow.

PIRELLI SCORPION ALL TERRAIN: THE OFF-ROAD TIRE
Pirelli’s 275/65R20 off-road tire, the Scorpion All Terrain Plus, was also specifically developed for the R1T and R1S with electric adventure in mind.
The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is Pirelli's On-/Off- Road All-Terrain light truck tire developed for drivers of pickup trucks, crossovers, and SUVs who want a balanced blend of on-road civility with off-road capability. The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is designed with a focus on optimizing durability, traction and wear resistance, in addition to providing snow traction: it gained indeed the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Pirelli 20's are rated 3PMS. What size are you talking about here? 20's on the OEM rim will be better than the other OEM sizes in snow.

PIRELLI SCORPION ALL TERRAIN: THE OFF-ROAD TIRE
Pirelli’s 275/65R20 off-road tire, the Scorpion All Terrain Plus, was also specifically developed for the R1T and R1S with electric adventure in mind.
The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is Pirelli's On-/Off- Road All-Terrain light truck tire developed for drivers of pickup trucks, crossovers, and SUVs who want a balanced blend of on-road civility with off-road capability. The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is designed with a focus on optimizing durability, traction and wear resistance, in addition to providing snow traction: it gained indeed the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol.
I am not necessarily looking for a specific wheel size, just wanted to see what percentage of EV truck drivers plan to be looking for 3PMS tires for their new ride in general. I think most will be using this vehicle for daily commuting so I'm trying to figure out if the 3PMS feature is a deal breaker for most consumers or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You have to remember that there is a big difference between 3PMS and an actual winter tire. 3PMS meat the minimum requirements of the testing and that's usually about it. An actual winter tire is always going to outperform a 3PMS tire. I know personally (living in Canada) that I will be getting a set of winter tires for my R1S. But we also have to wait for someone to produce a winter tire in the sizes (that isn't an LT tire) before I can even think about it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
what ^^^ said. I’m in Alaska and 3PMS is sort of pointless. A true winter tire (like the gold standard Nokian Hakkapeleta’s) will run circles around a 3PMS AT tire. BFG KO2’s are notoriously bad in the winter (I’ve run them as my summer tire) and have the 3PMS rating.

after 8 winters with Teslas I can tell you dedicated winter tires are even more important with an EV. They are very heavy and have high torque, both detrimental attributes on winter roads. And that said I’ve always run dedicated winter tires on all my vehicles and have run exclusively Nokian for probably 15 years. They make the best winter tires, hands-down. Number one winter tire brand in Alaska (And I’m pretty sure all of the circumpolar nortn). I’ve always looked at it in the context of if they save you from one wreck it is money well spent.

·
Registered
24 Posts
what ^^^ said. I’m in Alaska and 3PMS is sort of pointless. A true winter tire (like the gold standard Nokian Hakkapeleta’s) will run circles around a 3PMS AT tire. BFG KO2’s are notoriously bad in the winter (I’ve run them as my summer tire) and have the 3PMS rating.

after 8 winters with Teslas I can tell you dedicated winter tires are even more important with an EV. They are very heavy and have high torque, both detrimental attributes on winter roads. And that said I’ve always run dedicated winter tires on all my vehicles and have run exclusively Nokian for probably 15 years. They make the best winter tires, hands-down. Number one winter tire brand in Alaska (And I’m pretty sure all of the circumpolar nortn). I’ve always looked at it in the context of if they save you from one wreck it is money well spent.
FYI Nokian calls out recommended snow tires for 22" Rivians here.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10 SUV 275/50 R 22
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 SUV 275/50 R 22

I'm likely going with 20s though so would get the 20" Hakka LT3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the additional discussion on this topic. Seems like having a winter tire is more important / valuable than the 3PMS rating when it comes to snow use.

Are you willing to sacrifice the performance capabilities of a "standard" EV tire and some battery range to have a tire that can withstand regular snow driving?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks for all the additional discussion on this topic. Seems like having a winter tire is more important / valuable than the 3PMS rating when it comes to snow use.

Are you willing to sacrifice the performance capabilities of a "standard" EV tire and some battery range to have a tire that can withstand regular snow driving?
I notice no difference in Wh/mi or range if everything else is the same (road condition, temp, trip,…) In the fall When I switch from the OEM Michelin MXM4’s to studded Nokian Hakka 9’s on my Model 3. Didn’t notice a difference going from summer to winter tires and back on my MS either.

So on my Tesla (s) EV specific all seasons vs aggressive soft studded winter tires have no noticeable effect on efficiency. With a higher baseline Wh/mi in the Rivian a difference (and again none that is noticeable) would be even smaller.

And if one is concerned about theoretical range loss, range goes to zero when you are off the road in a ditch or in most crashes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I notice no difference in Wh/mi or range if everything else is the same (road condition, temp, trip,…) In the fall When I switch from the OEM Michelin MXM4’s to studded Nokian Hakka 9’s on my Model 3. Didn’t notice a difference going from summer to winter tires and back on my MS either.

So on my Tesla (s) EV specific all seasons vs aggressive soft studded winter tires have no noticeable effect on efficiency. With a higher baseline Wh/mi in the Rivian a difference (and again none that is noticeable) would be even smaller.

And if one is concerned about theoretical range loss, range goes to zero when you are off the road in a ditch or in most crashes.
Does Tesla use extra light Tesla specific EV tires? The Rivian 21 and 22 tires are EV-specific, lightweight, lower rolling resistance tires so I would expect some range hit with other tires.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Does Tesla use extra light Tesla specific EV tires? The Rivian 21 and 22 tires are EV-specific, lightweight, lower rolling resistance tires so I would expect some range hit with other tires.
Yes, The tires on my Tesla are EV tesla specific. I’ll also add that I run the OEM 18” rims (without the aero caps) in the winter and a set of light weight enki 18” in the summer. My summer tire/wheels are ~5-7lbs lighter per wheel+tire.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Anyone see any reason why we couldn’t use these snow tires on the 21” wheels? Diameter is 5cm smaller so speedometer would be a bit high but I heard it’s already 3mph low already?
I have Hakka 9’s on my model 3, had them for 4 winters here in Alaska. Also put them on my LX 570 last winter (to replace Hakka 7). That are awesome winter tires. There will be no difference at all with that small a difference. On my LX I run 30.5” OD tires in the winter and 33.7” OD in the summer. So a 3.2” (8.1cm) difference, no issues

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have Hakka 9’s on my model 3, had them for 4 winters here in Alaska. Also put them on my LX 570 last winter (to replace Hakka 7). That are awesome winter tires. There will be no difference at all with that small a difference. On my LX I run 30.5” OD tires in the winter and 33.7” OD in the summer. So a 3.2” (8.1cm) difference, no issues
I use them today on our Pilot, non-studded. Was there a range impact that you noticed?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I use Michelin Ice-X's on my Telluride for trips in the Rockies in the winter, and have been very happy with their performance both in ice and snow, and on pavement where they actually spend most of their time. The biggest improvement I've noticed is in braking; Ice-X stops are noticeably shorter and more stable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts