Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,119 Posts
Saw a guy modify an Xtrusion Overland rack himself for this purpose. Surely one of the aftermarket overland companies will have something soon... I'm interested in a solution like this that could accept the Rivian crossbars over the bed, and have them sitting at the same exact height as the crossbars (if mounted on the roof itself). this would provide a flat and level mounting surface from the cab to the ass-end of the truck.
Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive lighting Grille Automotive design

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the picture. The key is for XTRUSION to make the component that latches to the bed as a component within their modular solution. This will be my first truck, and I'm learning a lot. The aftermarket products for the other truck manufacturers are pretty cool - imagination is the only limit. I suppose It's a matter of time for the R1T. Thanks for the post.

· Registered
34 Posts
Cool picture - where was this? Pismo Beach? I really like how your cargo rack is higher off back.
Washington state at twin harbor state park. I don’t even know the name of the beach. Lol

I saw a beach and said to myself “yup, I am going there” nice thing about Washington, all the beaches are considered highways (with 25 mph speed limits)

· Registered
790 Posts
nice thing about Washington, all the beaches are considered highways
Ohh, absolutely not. Be careful with that. Beach laws differ greatly from state to state, and in Washington not all beaches are public land - in fact beaches can be private down to the LOW water mark. Twin Harbors it's allowed to drive on the beach, and that is true of many other places, but beaches in Washington are NOT necessarily public property, and even if you are you're not necessarily allowed to drive on them.

· Registered
34 Posts
Ohh, absolutely not. Be careful with that. Beach laws differ greatly from state to state, and in Washington not all beaches are public land - in fact beaches can be private down to the LOW water mark. Twin Harbors it's allowed to drive on the beach, and that is true of many other places, but beaches in Washington are NOT necessarily public property, and even if you are you're not necessarily allowed to drive on them.
Yup you are right in that it’s not ALL, it’s just MOST of the pacific coast line of Washington is open to drive on. I was very wrong and I am so glad you made this clear that it’s absolutely not all.

From Washington State on this southern 2/3rds of the pacific coast line

“… The beach is considered a state highway so all road, vehicle registration, and driver licensing regulations apply. The speed limit is 25 mph and pedestrians and bicyclists have the right-of-way at all times. You may only enter the beach with your vehicle through marked beach approaches and you may only drive on hard- packed sand. Watch for beach closure signs and signs that occasionally prohibit beach driving.”
Map Ecoregion Terrestrial plant Slope Parallel

· Registered
R1T Limestone/OC, R1S on order, RAV4 Prime
36 Posts
Saw a guy modify an Xtrusion Overland rack himself for this purpose. Surely one of the aftermarket overland companies will have something soon... I'm interested in a solution like this that could accept the Rivian crossbars over the bed, and have them sitting at the same exact height as the crossbars (if mounted on the roof itself). this would provide a flat and level mounting surface from the cab to the ass-end of the truck.
View attachment 8722
Love seeing the CRUA Aer Tent! Whose is it? I have everything they make except that...even have the inner tent for it. Wanted to see how they like it?

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Came across these cross bars. They seem to offer more utility, and a step towards an extrusion framing solution. For example, I believe you can an add additional extrusion cross beams to provide additional support. I was thinking of maybe adding a shallow drawer the length of the bed to house/transport solar panels. They are a bit pricey, maybe they have a lot of money tied up in the molds for the anchors, or maybe just taking advantage of the lack of options in the market. Regardless, first real aftermarket solution that I can find.

X-trusion Overland confirmed they will be updating their web site before the year end with their solution for the R1T. I can't wait to see it. I hope they anchor using the Rivian bolts...

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another variation from Range-industries...

Thanks for reaching out. We are currently working on a couple other variations of rack. Our next one that will hit the market has crossbars that sit roughly 13.5” above the bed rails. I’ll include a screen capture of our CAD models to give you an idea of its appearance. The uprights are CNC machined from solid 6061-T6 aluminum and the crossbars are made from 6063 aluminum extrusion. The side panels are made of sheet metal and will be optional. We should be releasing it within the next month or so. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Table Furniture Outdoor bench Outdoor furniture Rectangle

· Registered
41 Posts
View attachment 8722
I've not logged in here in quite a while. That's my rig. Xtrusion Overland is working on cleaning up my design. They have a really cool render of the bed rails. I sent them a 3d scan of the factory crossbar mounts a few weeks ago. Their plan is to have this ready to order by the end of the month.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts