Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I greatly dislike the pickup trend to 4-door crew cabs with mini bed. Smaller access cab style with a 78” bed is my preference. I use my pickup to carry stuff in the bed and haul stuff with a utility trailer, not to seat 6 people. The Rivian certainly has some cool features though. Not coming equipped with Airplay is an oversight however.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Ford might be the first to offer that configuration but it won't for a very long time.

You simply can't sell them anywhere near the volume of the current model, thus not much of a business case to be made here and no exponential growth. Plus it would cater to the work truck crowd where many other things need to be considered that haven't been yet.

Rivian did exactly what they need to establish themselves in the EV market.

What are you driving currently?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I wasn't designed to be a hauler or work truck. It's an adventure truck designed for camping, off-roading or lifestyle truck buyers. What OP is seeking is simply, a different category of vehicle. The gas guzzler trucks offer several options to satisfy your needs. The F-150 Lightning is a bit closer to a work truck, but still has the 4-door cab and relatively short bed. Someday, there will be EV optioned trucks designed more for hauling. The Bollinger appears to have the longest bed of any EV truck on the horizon, but still not a full-size bed. The Cybertruck, whenever that gets produced, appears to have a longer bed than all other EV trucks known to be on the horizon in the next 3 years.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I wasn't designed to be a hauler or work truck. It's an adventure truck designed for camping, off-roading or lifestyle truck buyers. What OP is seeking is simply, a different category of vehicle. The gas guzzler trucks offer several options to satisfy your needs. The F-150 Lightning is a bit closer to a work truck, but still has the 4-door cab and relatively short bed. Someday, there will be EV optioned trucks designed more for hauling. The Bollinger appears to have the longest bed of any EV truck on the horizon, but still not a full-size bed. The Cybertruck, whenever that gets produced, appears to have a longer bed than all other EV trucks known to be on the horizon in the next 3 years.
But even the Bollinger is being sold as more of an overlanding vehicle than a work truck. As of right now it's the Lightning that's the closest to an ICE work truck, with the Silverado and RAM EVs joining it soon enough.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ford might be the first to offer that configuration but it won't for a very long time.

You simply can't sell them anywhere near the volume of the current model, thus not much of a business case to be made here and no exponential growth. Plus it would cater to the work truck crowd where many other things need to be considered that haven't been yet.

Rivian did exactly what they need to establish themselves in the EV market.

What are you driving currently?
I drive a 2002 Toyota Tundra Limited here in Alaska I bought new and is still running strong. I have a 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser I also bought new that I use for adventuring from my cabin in Montana when down there for vacations.
Interesting first post. At least it’s interesting that you felt compelled to register an account solely to post it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don’t get my whining wrong on recent trends vs my vehicle use. All of the 2WD and 4WD pickups I have owned since the 70s have been year round adventure trucks first and utility trucks second. They have taken me to all corners of the US, trans-Canada, many variants of trips between Alaska and the lower 48, and throughout the limited road system in Alaska for backcountry skiing, mountain biking, fishing, hunting, camping, hiking and general exploring. All have also been used to carry canoes, sleep in the back, haul firewood, haul building supplies, and haul wood waste when the need arose. The heavier rigs incl my Landcruiser have been used to haul a boat trailer for my 22’ Boston Whaler and a 16 ft utility trailer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If your desire is a 2 door pickup EV with a large bed, you should be shopping the Canoo website. It's not something I would buy, but appears to be your niche. Keep in mind I wouldn't buy the Cybertruck, Workhorse, or the Nikola Badger either (very picky).

·
Registered
101 Posts
I greatly dislike the pickup trend to 4-door crew cabs with mini bed. Smaller access cab style with a 78” bed is my preference. I use my pickup to carry stuff in the bed and haul stuff with a utility trailer, not to seat 6 people. The Rivian certainly has some cool features though. Not coming equipped with Airplay is an oversight however.
The Chinese are producing 2-door electric pickups at a very reasonable price. Check this one out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.