Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Config'd my R1T today .. waiting until Max Pack is available for my R1S.. no rush here on my end to join the 1st adopters. Looking forward Rivian adding some more accessories to the mix between now and Jan 2022 as well as ironing out the kinks that tend to come along with 1st gen.

·
Registered
R1S Launch Edition
35 Posts
Yeah, went ahead and did config today too and will definitely wait for the 400 mile pack. 300 will likely be close to 300 miles. Range in King on EVs.

From my 7 years+ of having Teslas, people have to realize it is likely for some:
1) You start with 300 miles at 100%, but it usually isn't good to be at 100% long. Thus say 90% is normal like Tesla so you usually have about 270 miles to start.
2) You will likely lose a good 3-5% over time from the starting range, thus subtract 15 miles long-term from that 270, and you have 255.
3) Drive over say 55 miles per hour and that is with the superior efficiency of a aerodynamic Tesla and you loose a good 10% or so, end up at 235. Even here the charging network range becomes key.
Then on top of that; cold climate/rain/snow/very cold, subtract a good 25% - and you have about 178 miles usable. Or towing something heavy, subtract a good 30 (at minimum), and end up with a measly 165 in good weather flat ground, etc, and in cold weather towing, a measly 125 miles or so of range.

This is why the 400 mile pack is so key.

-T

·
Registered
47 Posts
Configured my RIS today, but I will remain posted as well. I will be watching for the 180kv option as well as the pricing. I would like to think that this option would be part of a specialized performance package, like Wider Wheels, Tires, Trim, and Badging!

·
Registered
R1S Launch Edition
35 Posts
Configured my RIS today, but I will remain posted as well. I will be watching for the 180kv option as well as the pricing. I would like to think that this option would be part of a specialized performance package, like Wider Wheels, Tires, Trim, and Badging!
The 400 pack was available on the R1T, was it not available at all on the R1S? It was, but you just couldn't choose the launch edition. It was $10,000 more. Got my final R1T config price with the 400 pack, gray, black interior, and 20" all terrain wheels, and adventure package priced at $88,600.

·
Registered
24 Posts
$10k more? Ouch but as you've said, and I agree, range is king. No, the R1S configurator doesn't allow for anything other than "300mi+ Large" battery pack at this time. I wonder if it has to do with Rivian possibly having 7 seating + 400+mi range option in the works? All the info up until recently indicated the 400mi R1S would not have 7 seats as an option (and I'm fine w/ 5 seats). Some of the wording now suggests they may make 400mi range + 7 seating an option and thus the reason for extra delay. All speculation on my part.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, went ahead and did config today too and will definitely wait for the 400 mile pack. 300 will likely be close to 300 miles. Range in King on EVs.

From my 7 years+ of having Teslas, people have to realize it is likely for some:
1) You start with 300 miles at 100%, but it usually isn't good to be at 100% long. Thus say 90% is normal like Tesla so you usually have about 270 miles to start.
2) You will likely lose a good 3-5% over time from the starting range, thus subtract 15 miles long-term from that 270, and you have 255.
3) Drive over say 55 miles per hour and that is with the superior efficiency of a aerodynamic Tesla and you loose a good 10% or so, end up at 235. Even here the charging network range becomes key.
Then on top of that; cold climate/rain/snow/very cold, subtract a good 25% - and you have about 178 miles usable. Or towing something heavy, subtract a good 30 (at minimum), and end up with a measly 165 in good weather flat ground, etc, and in cold weather towing, a measly 125 miles or so of range.

-T

my spec'd out R1T today with the Max pack (400+ mi) will replace my current Raptor. I am holding onto my R1S config until the Max Pack is available. Rivian will apparently announce the Max Pack once the R1S hits production. 5-7 seater config isn't all that important to me as it will replace our Jeep accordingly. Rivian to date remains my best bet to kick the ICE bucket and in order to do that Rivians need to come close if not be on par what my current Raptor gives me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I too configured my R1S yesterday and was disappointed to not be offered the 400+ mi option.

I plan to tow a camper, which though a relatively light & aerodynamic teardrop ([email protected] 320 ~ 2,200 lbs laden), will still eat into range.The added range of the 400 mile battery pack is essential for me, and I'm hoping that Rivian will offer the option to upgrade during production. I'm willing to wait until late 2022 or even early '23 but can't put things off too long: my current ride is a 2008 XC-90 V8 Sport that is definitely reaching the end of it's service life.

Bottom line for me is that I need a 400 mi R1S and if Rivian doesn't give me the option for that, will have to cancel my reservation. It will be a shame to have replace my current ICE vehicle with another ICE rather than a Rivian but if I can't get the extra range, the EV isn't a feasible option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Similar situation. I live out in the west and plan to go out in the wild. I can’t really get buy with 300 mile version and real world driving. The Max Pack makes it comprable with other ICE vehicles from a range and helps justify the price for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I’m still hoping for an in bed “gas can” option to extend range, I don’t want the weight of the extra batteries on a daily commute, I’ll only need the 400+ on vacations. I don’t know about any of you but with kids we’re stopping every couple of hours anyway. I wrote to Rivian to see if that was still going to be an option, just hope it doesn’t eat up too much space, I’m thinking lay flat in bed so you still have rails to sit a cargo box or tent. We’ll see. I’m ok with beta testing too. these other manufacturers have some terrible customer service around my area so can’t be much worse than what we got with Ford or my Subaru. With early adopters they will be more willing to cater to you for publicity sake too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m still hoping for an in bed “gas can” option to extend range, I don’t want the weight of the extra batteries on a daily commute, I’ll only need the 400+ on vacations. I don’t know about any of you but with kids we’re stopping every couple of hours anyway. I wrote to Rivian to see if that was still going to be an option, just hope it doesn’t eat up too much space, I’m thinking lay flat in bed so you still have rails to sit a cargo box or tent. We’ll see. I’m ok with beta testing too. these other manufacturers have some terrible customer service around my area so can’t be much worse than what we got with Ford or my Subaru. With early adopters they will be more willing to cater to you for publicity sake too.
agree with you on the wait.. like yourself I am seeking the "range extended jerry can battery pack" for my work travel and camping/offroading needs. what that may look like is yet to tbe seen as there have been a few options that are floating the internet but nothing confirmed by Rivian.

·
Registered
36 Posts
$10k more? Ouch but as you've said, and I agree, range is king. No, the R1S configurator doesn't allow for anything other than "300mi+ Large" battery pack at this time. I wonder if it has to do with Rivian possibly having 7 seating + 400+mi range option in the works? All the info up until recently indicated the 400mi R1S would not have 7 seats as an option (and I'm fine w/ 5 seats). Some of the wording now suggests they may make 400mi range + 7 seating an option and thus the reason for extra delay. All speculation on my part.
You nailed it exactly. Your rumor about the engineering trying to get 7 seat and 400+ miles to work together was confirmed with a chat I had with their on line support team. I personally thought I could give up the 7 seater as my kids are starting to go off to college. In fact, we go rid of our Pacifica hybrid and replaced it with an Audi etron, only to find out we really do still need that extra seating every now and then. Enough for me to choose 7 seats over the extra miles. If they do figure out how to get both, I would gladly pay the extra $10k.....although not sure I want to wait another year to get it.

·
Registered
16 Posts

-T
I've owned a Tesla Model S for 6 years and I agree 100% with everything you say above. For me, the Max Pack is an absolute necessity but I'm am very upset about having to wait. I think Rivian's decision to hold back on that delivery date is a big mistake. I might have to pull my order because I can't wait for another 12-14 months. I'm really bummed!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Config'd my R1T today .. waiting until Max Pack is available for my R1S.. no rush here on my end to join the 1st adopters. Looking forward Rivian adding some more accessories to the mix between now and Jan 2022 as well as ironing out the kinks that tend to come along with 1st gen.
Totally agree. The 400 mile threshold changes the question from "Why would you buy an EV?" to " Why WOULDN'T you buy an EV?". I'm willing to wait a few more months and squeeze a few more miles out of my 07 Ridgeline until the RIT arrives.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m waiting for the R1S with 400+ mile range for towing. My concern will be charging while towing a trailer. Where will we be able to find a charging station that will be useable with the trailer attached? I can’t imagine having to remove and find a place to park my 40’ sailplane trailer every time I need to charge on a cross country trip. Does anyone have any experience with this yet? So far I only charge my Leaf and Bolt from home so have zero knowledge of what is available along I-95 for trips between FL and VT for example.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m waiting for the R1S with 400+ mile range for towing. My concern will be charging while towing a trailer. Where will we be able to find a charging station that will be useable with the trailer attached? I can’t imagine having to remove and find a place to park my 40’ sailplane trailer every time I need to charge on a cross country trip. Does anyone have any experience with this yet? So far I only charge my Leaf and Bolt from home so have zero knowledge of what is available along I-95 for trips between FL and VT for example.
Your use case is quite specific but like yourself I will tow with my R1T & R1S and have a ICON A5 .. most likely we both will need to bite the bullet and unhook the trailer to charge the Rivian as the charge ports are located in the front vs back and some EA stations, which will probably be my primary charging network while on the road, aren't set up for our use case. Happy New Year! Jan 2022 can't come soon enough for R1T Max Pack

·
Registered
14 Posts

-T
As “T” has said with the least drag vehicle out there with all the ultimate issues you are almost at half. I wouldn’t take this vehicle or any EV as of yet a tow something for a trip. Instead would rent a car or suv for that getaway. EV with long range numbers are good for driving 275 plus miles around your home territory. Get it back home and charge it there. That’s their best use. Yes, you can take the long trips but be ready for some inconveniences.

·
Registered
R1S Launch Edition
35 Posts
my spec'd out R1T today with the Max pack (400+ mi) will replace my current Raptor. I am holding onto my R1S config until the Max Pack is available. Rivian will apparently announce the Max Pack once the R1S hits production. 5-7 seater config isn't all that important to me as it will replace our Jeep accordingly. Rivian to date remains my best bet to kick the ICE bucket and in order to do that Rivians need to come close if not be on par what my current Raptor gives me.
Nice. Quite the change from a huge/gas guzzling Raptor! Doing the R1T with max pack also (think I had a typo in past). We have to pick up a truck though this Summer when moving to our new land in Texas and can't wait until Jan 2022+ so going to look at a F150, likely a Lariat well optioned as even those are $$$ at this point in low-mid $60Ks range. I can image the 2022 Raptor is going to be closer to $80K now, especially that new R model being over that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your use case is quite specific but like yourself I will tow with my R1T & R1S and have a ICON A5 .. most likely we both will need to bite the bullet and unhook the trailer to charge the Rivian as the charge ports are located in the front vs back and some EA stations, which will probably be my primary charging network while on the road, aren't set up for our use case. Happy New Year! Jan 2022 can't come soon enough for R1T Max Pack
No EV that is out there is going to be able to stand up to a Raptor for quite some time. When there is a 800-1000 mile range, plus 25% bigger all around, then it will be close. With Rain, cold, pulling a mid size camper, at 65-70 mph, plus basic losses due to reality of a battery tech now, and for the next 5 years, the above range is what is going to be needed for those types of trips.
I know Rivian went for the “Adventure” theme but it’s like the Range Rover and Toyota Land Cruiser who go for the “climb any mountain theme” and yet the other day in my very high level Range Rover I got stuck in 8-10” of mud. Later to be pulled out with a little tug from my sons Jeep Cherokee who’s tires were firmly planted on pavement. I think a better reality would have been to build a Pick-Up truck and SUV for 95% of what most people will use it for and the “Adventure group” even with the basics design it would have met many of those needs as long as there adventure was close by their home. The number one issue with any EV is RANGE let me re define that REAL range. Right now take the top number and minus it by 20% for basic use including some of the negative conditions. Any other task you put to it drains it down super fast and you drop 40% of the top number of its distance. So a 400 mile battery at best gives you 100 miles away from home let’s say pulling a small fishing or skiing boat. I am saying this vehicle is useful for around home and max a 100 mile radius and then that has to be well planned because you have to charge up the night before. The Rivian vehicle is a replacement for a basic use Mid size Pickup truck or mid size SUV for local use. I think it’s great for that purpose because in reality that’s what most of us are going to use it for. Grilling and Chilling in the Tetons is still going to require a Raptor - from what I know and can easily see. My guess is 5 plus years before we get to the trucks we may want. All the other, fill in the blank vehicles, people want will need to be made before the bigger, stronger long hauling true adventure vehicle is made.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was really hoping that a Max Pack Rivian would be the answer to my needs for an adventure vehicle that could tow my small teardrop and allow me to get to the more remote parts of North America. The remarks here have pretty much convinced me that this is unrealistic and that for at least the better part of this decade, the only viable option for what I want to do is an ICE vehicle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was really hoping that a Max Pack Rivian would be the answer to my needs for an adventure vehicle that could tow my small teardrop and allow me to get to the more remote parts of North America. The remarks here have pretty much convinced me that this is unrealistic and that for at least the better part of this decade, the only viable option for what I want to do is an ICE vehicle.
Yep, any heavy lifting is going to be an ICE. But definitely take a look at your daily use because then the EV options are becoming awesome albeit still pricey.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts