Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the board and waiting for 400 mile max pack. My question is how?
1. Improved battery tech
2. Larger battery, if so where…..bottom of frunk or tire well?

second question, why is RJ or Rivian not discussing this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
They're not struggling to attract buyers. They're struggling to build at projections, so they're not meeting the demand for orders they already have. Meanwhile, the company is burning through investment cash.

So talking about upgrades features is a lower priority than getting the basic business moving back onto track.

·
Registered
472 Posts
New to the board and waiting for 400 mile max pack. My question is how?
1. Improved battery tech
2. Larger battery, if so where…..bottom of frunk or tire well?

I believe that the Large and Max battery pack use the same cells, but differ in the number to get the higher capacity of the Max. My understanding is that the extra cells are located toward the rear of the skateboard that uderpins the vehicle. By the way, the larger size seems to be the primary reason Rivian killed off the Max for the R1S; there is less room under the R1S due both to the SUV's shorter wheelbase and the intrusion of the 3rd row seat.

I agree with @electricavenue as to why Rivian in general and RJ specifically are not discussing the Max pack. Rivian has streamlined production in an attempt to get their numbers closer to full-rate and is still struggling to get to the 2022 projections. Adding the R1S to the mix will have the effect of depressing the overall production rate, which is why I believe R1S deliveries in 2022 are likely to be fairly limited in number.

Another, perhaps bigger reason for the radio silence may be that Rivian does not want to call attention to the many delays associated with the Max. I think that there were a few folks who got delivery windows for late 2022, and more (including me) who got 1H2023 estimates. Neither is going to happen IMO; Rivian does not want further depress production of the R1T Adventure LR by adding the R1T Max to the mix at this point. Many folks, including me, expect that there will be a further delay of the Max to 2024.

Add it up and it's pretty easy to see why RJ does not want to highlight the larger battery at this juncture.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for those replies, especially Yossarian.
I understand the desire to amp up production by focusing on limited options. Yet offering the product and asking for a substantial deposit requires some explanation to the customer in my opinion. It has made me wonder if the 400 mile pack had been found to be unfeasible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found this thread helpful.

Won’t let me post the link. It’s on Rivian forums.com. Not Rivian “owners” forum.

It’s all speculation, from both sides. I got a delivery estimate for Q1 2023 too but haven’t heard anything since that December email. I agree with it getting pushed to 2024 as mentioned above. I’m still on the fence about changing to the large pack. I don’t tow often, but wanted the max pack to negate range anxiety and facilitate extreme backcountry trekking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found this thread helpful.

Won’t let me post the link. It’s on Rivian forums.com. Not Rivian “owners” forum.

It’s all speculation, from both sides. I got a delivery estimate for Q1 2023 too but haven’t heard anything since that December email. I agree with it getting pushed to 2024 as mentioned above. I’m still on the fence about changing to the large pack. I don’t tow often, but wanted the max pack to negate range anxiety and facilitate extreme backcountry trekking.
I cannot pull it up which is interesting.
If I don't get anything that looks promising then I may have to move on in 2023. I have money on cyber truck, Rivian for about 3 years now, and previously Bollinger. I have been sold on EV's for about a decade and have been waiting patiently......maybe its not meant to be. Meanwhile, my 2004 pickup runs pretty well.
Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I cannot pull it up which is interesting.
If I don't get anything that looks promising then I may have to move on in 2023. I have money on cyber truck, Rivian for about 3 years now, and previously Bollinger. I have been sold on EV's for about a decade and have been waiting patiently......maybe its not meant to be. Meanwhile, my 2004 pickup runs pretty well.
Thanks for your reply.
The Silverado EV will be available with 400 mile range in case you didn't know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts