Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
At one time I heard the rumor that Rivian was considering a plug-in system for a portable power bank. Has anyone heard the same and/or have any info?
They have talked about it, in the past. No announcements of actual products that they plan to bring to market at any particular point in time, however.

The problem is weight.

There is one company I'm aware of that offers portable charging packs -- Spark Charge. Their smallest package is 7kWh and weighs approximately 150 lbs. On a Rivian that would provide an estimated range of about 14 miles -- not a lot. They have a 14kWh package that weighs 250 lbs and provides approximately 28 miles of range -- still not a lot.

The fact is these portable packs are really only useful as an emergency service in populated areas to get you to a DCFC or Level 2 charger as an alternative to towing. These are not equivalent to a "jerry can" for adventurers.

·
Registered
316 Posts
At one time I heard the rumor that Rivian was considering a plug-in system for a portable power bank. Has anyone heard the same and/or have any info?

Large tech companies are constantly patenting things that may or may not ever see the light of day. I'm sure Tesla and others have patented similar auxiliary battery packs. Spark is first to market but they're focusing more on leasing to 3rd parties like AAA or other service businesses:

·
Registered
2,670 Posts

Large tech companies are constantly patenting things that may or may not ever see the light of day. I'm sure Tesla and others have patented similar auxiliary battery packs. Spark is first to market but they're focusing more on leasing to 3rd parties like AAA or other service businesses:

That will go a lot way to get people over "what if" scenarios while we wait for charging networks with fast chargers to become more common. At least for us, Rivian is actively working on their own network.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The problem is weight.
The fact is these portable packs are really only useful as an emergency service in populated areas to get you to a DCFC or Level 2 charger as an alternative to towing. These are not equivalent to a "jerry can" for adventurers.
Yeah... the weight is pretty hideous, I'm also concerned about their power transfer rate (we talking L2 here or more of a DC Fast Charge?)

As for the 400 mile range, I am super curious how/if they are going to handle that in the R1S. My assumption is that you are either losing that third row, or, it won't be able to fold flat (or maybe the second row won't be a fold flat solution).

The loss of the under seat storage in the R1T is kind of annoying, but far from a deal breaker for me, range is king for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.