Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early in 19 I put deposit on a unit now after living with the need for extre miles it has become a tough choose. I plan to go around or country and do not want to get a hotel by early in day to recharge or to split my adventure into multi parts am and pm. Lots of family and friends not to mention fishing in many states. The question do I give up the launch and wait 6 months more for the 400 . What would you do ? TowJon wa at

·
Registered
800 Posts
If you're doing a lot of long-distance trips, I'd want the 400 mile pack. That's my personal opinion. Some would say save the money and get the 300 and do more frequent DCFC.... It really depends on would you rather:

Stop more frequently, charge for less time (get 300 mile pack).

Stop less frequently, charge for more time (get 400 mile pack).

·
Registered
66 Posts
If I were driving around the country and traveling 500+ miles daily, I would stick with an efficient ICE vehicle or hybrid.

Electric vehicles just aren’t there yet. I am used to traveling 400 miles and refueling for < 10 minutes. With either battery pack, that is not possible. Trying to keep between 20-80% gives you a usable range of 180 mile with the 300 mile pack and 240 miles with the 400 mile pack.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I were driving around the country and traveling 500+ miles daily, I would stick with an efficient ICE vehicle or hybrid.

Electric vehicles just aren’t there yet. I am used to traveling 400 miles and refueling for < 10 minutes. With either battery pack, that is not possible. Trying to keep between 20-80% gives you a usable range of 180 mile with the 300 mile pack and 240 miles with the 400 mile pack.

I had entered this thought on a different page, I was early 19 deposited for the 400 being I planed to visit family and friends around or country. Not to mention all the national parks, then we get down to fishing in many states along with BC Canada. If your one that is staying in town, I could see it would not bother you. But I had my heart set on the adventure unit that Rivian premoted for a great adventure. I spoken
to Rivian a few times with only choose taking the 300 or waiting 6 months for the 400. Not much of a choose the have disappointed me quite a bit with only reason that it’s better for production to go with 300. Rivian poor choose for those that want to use rt1.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I had entered this thought on a different page, I was early 19 deposited for the 400 being I planed to visit family and friends around or country. Not to mention all the national parks, then we get down to fishing in many states along with BC Canada. If your one that is staying in town, I could see it would not bother you. But I had my heart set on the adventure unit that Rivian premoted for a great adventure. I spoken
to Rivian a few times with only choose taking the 300 or waiting 6 months for the 400. Not much of a choose the have disappointed me quite a bit with only reason that it’s better for production to go with 300. Rivian poor choose for those that want to use rt1.
Unfortunately this happens with new vehicle launches.
Are you looking at any other vehicles or just set on the Rivian?

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
241 Posts
This! I would make sure you check charging stations availability in your area. Electrify America has a map of stations on their website.
If you're doing a lot of long-distance trips, I'd want the 400 mile pack. That's my personal opinion. Some would say save the money and get the 300 and do more frequent DCFC.... It really depends on would you rather:

Stop more frequently, charge for less time (get 300 mile pack).

Stop less frequently, charge for more time (get 400 mile pack).
If you are traveling like that daily, that is true. But keep in mind that if you also using the car around town, like commuting to work, with an ICE you have to spend 5+ minutes in a gas station every week or so, while with an EV you spend 20 seconds plugging the cable in your garage.

I experience that first hand because my wife commutes in her ICE Honda CR-V and I do it on my electric BMW I3 or Zero Sr/f. The sad part is that she asks me to take her car to refuel😫.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
This! I would make sure you check charging stations availability in your area. Electrify America has a map of stations on their website.
PlugShare app is another good source of charger info and has all chargers (not just EA) and great filtering capability based on ownership, connector types, kW output, cost, etc.

Reactions: Sultanum

·
Registered
44 Posts
This has become a very common discussion among future EV owners. "The number of times to charge and the time required to charge." These facts are really important if you plan to take road trips, or plan to pull a trailer. Fact is that the majority of SUV's or PICKUPS are never driven on road trips, never taken OFF-ROAD or used to pull trailers. Statistics show that these vehicles more likely to be driven to work, the grocery store and the mall ninety-five percent of the time. And the majority of these trips are under 50 miles round trip. This data begs the question; 300 mile range battery pack, or waiting 6 more months and an additional $10,000 for the additional 100 mile range battery? Then there's the possibility of the 500 mile longer range and SOLID-STATE battery due to arrive within 2 to 5 years. So do I say yes to 300 mile range battery, wait 6 months or 5 years and pay $10,000 or maybe even more for 500 plus mile range SOLID-STATE battery.

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
This has become a very common discussion among future EV owners. "The number of times to charge and the time required to charge." These facts are really important if you plan to take road trips, or plan to pull a trailer. Fact is that the majority of SUV's or PICKUPS are never driven on road trips, never taken OFF-ROAD or used to pull trailers. Statistics show that these vehicles more likely to be driven to work, the grocery store and the mall ninety-five percent of the time. And the majority of these trips are under 50 miles round trip. This data begs the question; 300 mile range battery pack, or waiting 6 more months and an additional $10,000 for the additional 100 mile range battery? Then there's the possibility of the 500 mile longer range and SOLID-STATE battery due to arrive within 2 to 5 years. So do I say yes to 300 mile range battery, wait 6 months or 5 years and pay $10,000 or maybe even more for 500 plus mile range SOLID-STATE battery.
I do lots of road trips, drive on unpaved and unmaintained roads often and also occasionally pull a trailer with my side-by-side on it. I prefer the 300 mile battery and plan to get it, hoping that gaps in existing DCFC charging infrastructure get quickly filled.

i think 2 years for getting cars with solid state batteries is a pipe dream. I’d say 5 if we’re lucky.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Previously I mentioned that Tesla could swap their battery packs in under an hour. I was floored with a tour through a Chicago North Shore Tesla Dealership and saw no real service equipment or mechanics as you would in your average dealership service garage. The sales person said that there very little need, as there's not the usual problems of the average mechanical vehicle. And if needed we can swap out a battery in under an hour! And most upgrades are done on line. MAYBE, RIVIAN maybe will offer this option as an upgrade. Bring my EV in and upgrade my battery pack. I'm sure that there would be a significant credit for swapping out the battery packs!

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Previously I mentioned that Tesla could swap their battery packs in under an hour. I was floored with a tour through a Chicago North Shore Tesla Dealership and saw no real service equipment or mechanics as you would in your average dealership service garage. The sales person said that there very little need, as there's not the usual problems of the average mechanical vehicle. And if needed we can swap out a battery in under an hour! And most upgrades are done on line. MAYBE, RIVIAN maybe will offer this option as an upgrade. Bring my EV in and upgrade my battery pack. I'm sure that there would be a significant credit for swapping out the battery packs!
Despite demoing this "feature", I'm not aware of it actually being done to any customer vehicle, in the real world.

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
Despite demoing this "feature", I'm not aware of it actually being done to any customer vehicle, in the real world.
Agree. That’s a pretty old video. Just posted it to show possibilities.

I’m in software engineering, and we used to joke that whenever a customer asked what platform our software runs best on, we should say “PowerPoint”. :LOL:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This has become a very common discussion among future EV owners. "The number of times to charge and the time required to charge." These facts are really important if you plan to take road trips, or plan to pull a trailer. Fact is that the majority of SUV's or PICKUPS are never driven on road trips, never taken OFF-ROAD or used to pull trailers. Statistics show that these vehicles more likely to be driven to work, the grocery store and the mall ninety-five percent of the time. And the majority of these trips are under 50 miles round trip. This data begs the question; 300 mile range battery packing, or waiting 6 more months and an additional $10,000 for the additional 100 mile range battery? Then there's the possibility of the 500 mile longer range and SOLID-STATE battery due to arrive within 2 to 5 years. So do I say yes to 300 mile range battery, wait 6 months or 5 years and pay $10,000 or maybe even more for 500 plus mile range SOLID-STATE battery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts