Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for those of us with a full size spare, has anyone heard from Rivian regarding a 5 tire rotation plan? thinking of doing this myself just to get used to the jack and process, but debating also taking to the SC if this is an included service due to the amount of time it would take to do this manually at home. Thoughts?

· Registered
526 Posts
I’ve done a 5 tire rotation on most of my vehicles over the last ~30 years (well all that have a full size spare and don’t have different f/r sizes).

I do my rotations and summer/winter tire swaps myself. It’s super easy, only have one wheel off at a time. And if you have a tire failure then the spare has even wear and then until you are due a new set just do a 4 tire rotation. I’ve always done a reward cross as all my street (track cars don’t count) have been AWD.

As for doing it your self, probably a 45 min job the first time and easily <30 after that. It is super easy, with one teen helping me I can do all 4 of our cars in ~1 hour with just: a floor Jack, electric impact driver, appropriate size socket x2, torque wrench, hockey pucks, and a breaker bar.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Font Automotive wheel system

· Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking of picking up a floor jack and doing exactly this rearward cross, but don't have an impact driver or any speciality automotive tools for the job. This is why I was thinking it would take much more time (using the included jack and tools)... May need to purchase some stuff to save money in the long run.

· Registered
526 Posts
I was thinking of picking up a floor jack and doing exactly this rearward cross, but don't have an impact driver or any speciality automotive tools for the job. This is why I was thinking it would take much more time (using the included jack and tools)... May need to purchase some stuff to save money in the long run.
You don’t need an impact driver and an electric drill would work just fine. I don’t have an automotive one, use this dewalt that I’ve had for ~15 years. Don’t even need an electric drill, I just use it after I loosen the lugs by hand to make remover go faster. Also could use the tire iron that comes with the truck in place of the breaker bar. Also don’t need a torque wrench, I use one, many will say you do, but I probably didn’t use one for the first ~20 years I did my own rotations/swaps.

in terms of cost I do my own to save time as much as money. I can rotate my tires in less time then it would be to drive round trip (without stopping) to the coldest tire shop, that is <5 miles away.

Watch Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

· Registered
1,679 Posts
I avoid impact driving lug nuts, too many bad experiences on customers cars where the shop before me over tightened them and ruined the lugs and or studs. Hand tighten first, then Torque to spec
Impact to get them off.

Hand thread to get them started. Impact to thread them most of the way on (but no ugga-duggas!) Hand tighten to spec with a torque wrench.

If you lack the self-control to feather the trigger then a torque-stick is an inexpensive safety.

· Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The only Torque wrench I use is for my MTB, so may need to upgrade. How many NM's for torque on these lugz>?

Also, any thoughts on minimum floor jack ratings for this purpose would be great. I understand you're not lifting the full 8000 lbs, but this is a heavy vehicle, and 1 corner is going to be hefty. Thx.

· Registered
348 Posts
The only Torque wrench I use is for my MTB, so may need to upgrade. How many NM's for torque on these lugz>?

Also, any thoughts on minimum floor jack ratings for this purpose would be great. I understand you're not lifting the full 8000 lbs, but this is a heavy vehicle, and 1 corner is going to be hefty. Thx.
If you're only doing 1 corner at a time the Harbor Freight (or others) 3ton unit is fine. If you want more piece of mind grab their new 4ton.

· Registered
526 Posts
I have a Arcan 3 ton floor Jack that I got from Costco ~12 years ago. I’ve used it many times to lift the entire front or rear (both tires) on my LX570 that is ~6800 lbs. One at a time off the ground is easy.

And isn’t the R1T more like ~7200 lbs?

to clarify above I only use the impact driver to remove the lugs after I hand loosen them. I tighten by hand and use a torque wrench.

· Registered
4 Posts
Just went in for complementary (edit: under warranty not complementary. Truck came misaligned) alignment and they recommend against 5-wheel even though I’ve only got 4600 miles on my T. But said they’d do it for $88 (65 IIRC for 4-wheel?). At Bellevue service in Washington.

· Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL. I told my SC when I was in for the recall that I would like to do a 5 wheel rotation. I showed the rep a printout of how to do it. They said they didn't need it and do the 5 wheel rotation in that exact manner.

· Registered
526 Posts
Moral of the story is, do it if you want to! I personally do the 5 tire rotation since its a real wheel and tire and it will extend your time between tire purchases and keep the "spare" more evenly worn with the other tires.
I do it as well for these reasons as well as the fact with a floor Jack you only have one wheel off the ground at a time which is easier/faster than jacking up an entire side.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts