Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Statistics are emerging from entries entered into the community Rivian pre-order tracker: New Rivian Order Tracker - Enter Your Configuration Here

Among the insights so far, we can now estimate that Rivian's innovative "Camp Kitchen" option was selected in approximately 7% of the orders. The $5000 USD option features a pull-out kitchen including an induction cooktop, built-in sink, 4 gallon water tank and pump, and an optional 30-piece prep and cookware set from Snow Peak.

Did you expect the Camp Kitchen option to be more or less popular than 7%?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm one of those 7% and that's about where I expected. I was estimating ~10% for now, with the number climbing after release when I assume they'll work on cost reductions.

I'm already willing to pay a premium to be an early adopter, especially for several new segments (EV trucks and EV recreation vehicles) so another 5k for the kitchen wasn't too much of a worry. I personally dislike hauling around propane, a camping stove, and a big plastic tub of cooking accouterment and while I anticipate I'll still be cooking over campfire quite a bit, I'm greatly looking forward to the ability to quickly camp at any point with a combination of the camp kitchen and an overbed tent (still waiting for that release!)

Also looking forward to other potential gear tunnel systems so it'll be nice to already have the rail mounting for any future tunnel options.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I agree it is expensive, but I have decided that I want to splurge on something this unique. Once I got my price up to $90K, why not spend an extra $5K. Not only good for camping, but I expect to use it while tailgating at Arizona Cardinals games.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
386 Posts
At $5k, that’s probably what I’d expect. Can’t imagine what a per meal cost will factor out to on that given how infrequently it would be used. So although there’s a serious cool factor to it, I did not opt for it. At $1k, it would have likely been opted for by a lot more people.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not sure if its relevant, but my reasoning for not adding the kitchen was my inability to store the unit when I didn't want it installed in the tunnel . . . actually not even sure if its removable. Plus we usually don't have our vehicle close to our camp site when camping, so cooking at the vehicle wouldn't be convenient. Not sure the $5k price tag would have been an issue if the above two weren't my issues.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It is removable - I've seen this confirmed in multiple locations, including posts from CS in this forum. When I don't want mine in it'll take up a little space in the garage. I don't plan to have it installed unless I'm intending to use it or go on longer trips where I don't need the extra storage space but might want to sponteaneously whip up a meal on wheels :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
$5k? Was thinking maybe even though I think that it's crazy. But then when I saw that the Snow Peak cookware set was optional? That pushed me to a definite "no".

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree it is expensive, but I have decided that I want to splurge on something this unique. Once I got my price up to $90K, why not spend an extra $5K. Not only good for camping, but I expect to use it while tailgating at Arizona Cardinals games.
I’m not a huge camper, but I do like to tailgate and this would be an awesome to have for those purposes. Rivian might want to broaden its marketing uses of increasing the sales of this accessories is a strong desire at this time.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
7% doesn't seem too farfetched to me for something that isn't going to be regularly used. I wonder if these numbers match what Rivian expects to sell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The camp kitchen is the primary motivator for our Rivian purchase for many of the same reasons inkedspynx recites. We will be using this for car camping, trail running, snowshoeing, and beach tailgating.
We're buying a kitchen that happens to come with an electric pick-up truck :). I'm surprised only 7% of the folks who want ta truck with this type of off-road ability find the feature appealing enough to lay down the 5K. Maybe the 30 piece cookware set should be included in the price (hint, hint).

·
Registered
84 Posts
I spec'd my R1T with the camp kitchen for the time being. To follow through on the camp kitchen I need to be able to install and uninstall the kitchen at will at any given time. If not.. it won't be purchased come time for truck purchase. I got some time as my R1T with Max Pack won't be ready for production until Jan 2022

·
Registered
66 Posts
I opted against the camp kitchen. While it is cool and I would really like it, it’s not $5k cool to me. I also heard that it will be available as an after sale accessory. I will wait until it is cancelled and ends up on the clearance rack.

I used to own a Quadrasteer (4wheel steering) GMC Sierra. Best feature ever in a truck, but GM screwed up with the price and marketing which ultimately led to it being discontinued after a few years. That being said, those who knew about it craved it. I posted mine on autotrader at a premium and it sold within 6 hours to a guy halfway across the country!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts