Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping to get answered (I've been given conflicting info regarding charging).

First, I finished 7/8 steps for my r1s a few days ago. Step 8 (delivery scheduling) has not been unlocked...does anyone have any info on how long it usually takes for step 8 to be unlocked?

Secondly, I had a 15-40 nema charger installed in my garage a couple years back when I was expecting to purchase a Tesla (never happened). I've done some digging and can't really get an idea of how well the standard 15-40 will charge the r1s. I'm interested in knowing the difference between the rivian wall charger and the standard neema 15-40 (the breaker is a 40 amp if that helps). I know that the rivian wall charger will perform better, but the best info I've gotten was "20-30% better" with no relation to miles per hour during charging, so any insight here would be greatly appreciated.

And for those that want to know: limestone with black mountain and 20 inch all terrains.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2023 Rivian R1T (Ordered)
9 Posts
Can't answer your question about the eighth step. But I've used plenty of 14-50 plug chargers. I currently carry one that allows me to vary the charging amps depending on the capacity of the plug I'm using.

At 50 amp RV hookups, I set the charger on 40 amps (max continuous) and it works fine. Your Rivian would charge from near empty to full battery overnight. But since your breaker is 40 amps, you'll only be able to charge at (40 amps x 0.80) = 32 amps. That should still be sufficient to charge your truck overnight, when most electric rates are off-peak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I actually know the answer to both of these for you.

The standard charging cord that COMES with the Rivian will charge at about 16 miles/hr. The Rivian wall charger (or most any other charger) will increase it to about 25 miles/hr of charging.

I already own a Tesla, so rather than purchase a Rivian wall charger I opted to purchase an adapter for the end of the Tesla plug to make it a J1772 (Tesla tap ) which I can use at any non-supercharger Tesla destination charger or friends house.

As for step #8, I’m in the same boat and it will unlock as soon as your car arrives at your SC. Most likely your advisor will reach out to you almost simultaneously. For example I had my trade in value come back yesterday and my advisor called me within 3 minutes!

Glad to help

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
The standard charging cord that COMES with the Rivian will charge at about 16 miles/hr. The Rivian wall charger (or most any other charger) will increase it to about 25 miles/hr of charging.
This is only true if you hardwire the Wall EVSE on a 60A circuit. If OP only has 40A circuit (as they indicate in their post) then they'd have to configure the Wall EVSE to only 32A and they'd get exactly the same charge speed as the portable EVSE.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually know the answer to both of these for you.

I already own a Tesla, so rather than purchase a Rivian wall charger I opted to purchase an adapter for the end of the Tesla plug to make it a J1772 (Tesla tap ) which I can use at any non-supercharger Tesla destination charger or friends house.

As for step #8, I’m in the same boat and it will unlock as soon as your car arrives at your SC. Most likely your advisor will reach out to you almost simultaneously. For example I had my trade in value come back yesterday and my advisor called me within 3 minutes!

Glad to help

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is only true if you hardwire the Wall EVSE on a 60A circuit. If OP only has 40A circuit (as they indicate in their post) then they'd have to configure the Wall EVSE to only 32A and they'd get exactly the same charge speed as the portable EVSE.

So, assuming the wall charger gets 16/hr and the rivian gets 25/hr at 60 amps, at 40 amps (the way my system is currently wired) I could expect roughly 30% less...so like 10-11/hr on the standard wall charger and then 16/hr with the rivian evse?

Sorry, I have no electrical background whatsoever....

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
So, assuming the wall charger gets 16/hr and the rivian gets 25/hr at 60 amps, at 40 amps (the way my system is currently wired) I could expect roughly 30% less...so like 10-11/hr on the standard wall charger and then 16/hr with the rivian evse?

Sorry, I have no electrical background whatsoever....
If you have a 40A breaker than the most you should draw is 32A which would be approximately 16mph. To do appreciably more than that you’d need to upgrade your circuit. A 50A circuit would support 40A charging or 20mph. A 60A circuit would support 48A charging or 25mph.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have a 40A breaker than the most you should draw is 32A which would be approximately 16mph. To do appreciably more than that you’d need to upgrade your circuit. A 50A circuit would support 40A charging or 20mph. A 60A circuit would support 48A charging or 25mph.
OK, I think I've got a good grasp on what will end up happening--(installing the charger at 40 amps (32 amps) will give me roughly 16 mph--which is probably more than enough for my nightly charging) thanks again and thanks everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts