Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tomorrow is the 4th of July, Independence Day for those of us in the US. I know that we are only a few days into Rivian's announced [& re-scheduled] inaugural delivery month, but as far as I'm aware, they haven't actually delivered a vehicle or even said when the first deliveries will happen.

Delivering the first Rivians tomorrow is [more likely, would have been] an incredible promotional opportunity. How great would it be for the first Rivian owners to be able to be pictured celebrating their independence from fossil fuel on the same day the rest of the US celebrates its independence from colonial rule? I don't think this is happening however, and that it isn't actually may provide some insight into Rivian deliveries.

The marketing guys at Rivian surely are aware of this promotional opportunity, and the fact that the company is not taking advantage of it almost certainly means that they're not yet ready. Extending that speculative thought means that the first deliveries may not be until end of July. If that's the case, will there be real deliveries in July, or just a handful of vehicles to allow Rivian to claim success by technically meeting their announced date? And does that mean that LE deliveries are more likely to extend even further than mid-2022?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They would have kept June deliveries if they wanted to (or were able to) target July 4th.

When they pushed to July that was a clear indicator that they needed at least a few weeks more.
Agree. But is it really just a few weeks more to begin deliveries in reasonable volume? Or is the plan to push a few out the door, claim victory, and having bought some time, go back and take a few more weeks or months to get ready to deliver in volume?

I understand and appreciate the difficulty of starting from scratch to bring a new vehicle to market. Delays are unavoidable. Their effect on potential customers can and should be mitigated by timely and accurate information however.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Agree. But is it really just a few weeks more to begin deliveries in reasonable volume? Or is the plan to push a few out the door, claim victory, and having bought some time, go back and take a few more weeks or months to get ready to deliver in volume?
I think delivering a few in July (even at the end) is still a victory. They should continue to deliver steadily and increase, over time, from that point. I would be disappointed if the deliveries stopped for a period of time.

·
Registered
Golf R, XC90, and eventually an R1S
26 Posts
Delivering the first Rivians tomorrow is [more likely, would have been] an incredible promotional opportunity. How great would it be for the first Rivian owners to be able to be pictured celebrating their independence from fossil fuel on the same day the rest of the US celebrates its independence from colonial rule?
I disagree -- holidays like today encourage people to disconnect and spend time outside or with family and friends, so making some big news splash today will just fall flat.

Now, they COULD be delivering them today and publishing all the fanfare this week... but we won't know about that until later, at which point this is all moot 😀

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
272 Posts
Don't care what day they deliver as long as it meets or exceeds everyone's expectations. Let the holidays be for family and friends, we can always promote a new vehicle tomorrow on social media.

·
Registered
158 Posts

I understand and appreciate the difficulty of starting from scratch to bring a new vehicle to market. Delays are unavoidable. Their effect on potential customers can and should be mitigated by timely and accurate information however.
Just checked the web for the Chicago Auto Show that happens in two weeks, Rivian is not listed as a vehicle to be present. That seems to be another missed opportunity to promote the brand in the Illinois area where production is being developed. Guess it is another case of not being ready for prime time!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just checked the web for the Chicago Auto Show that happens in two weeks, Rivian is not listed as a vehicle to be present. That seems to be another missed opportunity to promote the brand in the Illinois area where production is being developed. Guess it is another case of not being ready for prime time!
I actually asked customer service a few weeks ago if they were doing any car shows this year. Their response was no, they are concentrating on the test drive programs and product launches.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't think Tesla has ever been at the Chicago Auto Show either.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I am truly rooting for Rivian to be successful and follow in the footsteps laid down by Tesla. I do wish the would be a little more communitive in where they're at, being that it's now July and there's no word from anyone. I would not consider them delivering a few hand-built trucks to hand-picked so called "buyers" like Tesla does when they "deliver" 20-25 cars through some big event, but then don't deliver anything more for quite some time afterward. That would just be doing it to save face. Production and regular deliveries will tell us that Rivian has COMPLETED development and is now ready to deliver. Ramping up production for a new company can take time. So no unrealistic expectations that they should deliver 5,000 trucks a week right at the start, but as long as they're continuously delivering trucks off of the production line, then we'll know Rivian is ready to move on to the next phase. Truly hoping they communicate something very soon and not just try to put a pacifier in our mouths with a couple façade deliveries. I do give them credit, they haven't fed us with a bunch of opportunistic promise they could never meet as Tesla is famous for. But, it is time for something, anything to let us know if they're close or still several months out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Tours are not going to do much for the hundreds of us south of the Ohio River and east of say, California, where no tours are announced. Today Forbes did not include Rivian in their EV pick-up review which included Hummer. Hummer is not due out for at least a year! What does Forbes know that we do not?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Tours are not going to do much for the hundreds of us south of the Ohio River and east of say, California, where no tours are announced. Today Forbes did not include Rivian in their EV pick-up review which included Hummer. Hummer is not due out for at least a year! What does Forbes know that we do not?
I’m sure they did not include it because Rivian has not been providing vehicles to the media for testing and review.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Hummer is beginning deliveries this fall, afaik.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hummer is beginning deliveries this fall, afaik.
That's what GM's website indicates--the Hummer EV Pickup Edition 1, and it is already sold out. Who knows how many will actually ship this year. All the pickups are too long for my purposes, and the Hummer in either pickup or SUV form is too wide. For at least the next couple years, the R1S is the only vehicle that matches my needs. So I'm pulling for Rivian.

Reserve Your GMC HUMMER EV Truck | Future Vehicles

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
233 Posts
All I have to go by is that Rivian is claiming a July date for start of shipment and GM a fall date. Is there other official new out there?
I am just expecting Hummer deliveries to begin in October and there numbers to start out at 2K per month. The big guys know how to ramp up production much faster, plus they are building their own batteries in conjunction with LG.

On the Hummer forums there is speculation that reservation holder contacts will begin this month, and that has been backed up by some people that work at dealerships.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.