Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So a little over a month ago, I received an email that my truck is ready for delivery and I should schedule a meeting between myself and my guide.

Needless to say, I was very excited. That's when the fun started.

After the initial conversation where I learned my truck was in Dallas (I'm in Austin!) and that I could have it as soon as a couple days, my guide basically ghosted me for about a week.

When I finally got all the detail on the purchase process from him, I began signing the docs and working my way through it.

Around that time, I was informed that there was some sort of issue with my truck that they're working through at the delivery center in Dallas and that there could be a short delay.

I was then told to go ahead and complete the purchase process and they will get the "issue" with my truck worked out and get it to me. Ok...that's not a great feeling.

They wouldn't share detail on the issue with the truck - just that they found some items in pre-inspection that needed to be addressed.

I finished all the paperwork, got the truck on my insurance (so now I'm paying for that) and I gave Rivian a $30K deposit on 4/1/22...I also lined up a private buyer for my current vehicle.

Shortly thereafter, my guide informed me that the issues with the truck I purchased cannot be fixed and he has to "disconnect" me from that VIN in order to find me ANOTHER truck that meets my specs.

How long will that take? No idea.

Meanwhile, Rivian has $30K of my money and I have a private buyer who I've been holding off for over 2 weeks to buy my truck. How long will he wait? No idea.

Needless to say, Rivian is not inspiring alot of confidence right now TBH.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for this info. I'm currently in a similar circle. I was contacted in the middle of March stating that my truck was ready for delivery when I would be on vacation. Unlike your experience my guide has been pretty responsive.

I filled out the paperwork and lined up a proxy to take delivery while I was still on vacation. Something came up in final QC with the passenger door that delayed my delivery. On checking Rivian's internal tracking it showed that my truck had arrived in SLC (I'm located in Montana) and was waiting for that a door to ship out for replacement prior to sending directly to me.

Delivery to me was scheduled last Thursday for this upcoming Friday. On Friday my guide called and told me that the truck was actually not in SLC but was still in Normal at a body shop. He had to cancel the delivery with no ETA.

I work in specialty vehicle manufacturing and I feel for both my guide and for Rivian as a whole. I can't imagine trying to scale and ramp production while squashing the bugs that are likely coming up as a result. Most of what I'm seeing and reading are small, isolated struggles like mine (ours?). The vast majority are great experiiiiiiiences. Personally, even though I'm a bit impatient to get the truck (it feels like a bit of a tease) I would rather that Rivian gets it right than send me a truck to remote Montana that needs to have issues fixed.

I hope yours gets resolved quickly and to your satisfaction and I'm hoping the same thing for me. :)

Seth

·
Registered
482 Posts
Frustrating to be sure but you folks are the first of the first so not entirely unexpected. Better they are conservative with the product delivered than you it having to go in the shop a lot and you without a vehicle. I didn't put the Subaru up for sale until I had the Tesla which worked well as it went back and forth for about a month on fix it stuff so I had the Subaru to drive around it with no issues. Tesla won't go until the Rivian has some break in miles.

The $30k out of pocket, we are all likely 1st of the 1st worlders so even a couple months losing interest of disposable cash is not Death Watch for Smoochy situation just the arrows of the pioneers.

Be happy to change places with you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
[/QUOTE]
Frustrating to be sure but you folks are the first of the first so not entirely unexpected. Better they are conservative with the product delivered than you it having to go in the shop a lot and you without a vehicle. I didn't put the Subaru up for sale until I had the Tesla which worked well as it went back and forth for about a month on fix it stuff so I had the Subaru to drive around it with no issues. Tesla won't go until the Rivian has some break in miles.

The $30k out of pocket, we are all likely 1st of the 1st worlders so even a couple months losing interest of disposable cash is not Death Watch for Smoochy situation just the arrows of the pioneers.

Be happy to change places with you.
Great...thanks. :rolleyes:

If you'd like to switch places - you can send me $30K and I won't give you a truck...then we'll be in the same spot.

Also "Death Watch for Smoochy?"

·
Registered
71 Posts
RivianATX and Ipadl

You're not in a happy place, especially after waiting a long time for this moment of delivery to arrive. There is no way that Rivian should have told you to put down $30K on a car they could not at that moment deliver, and you should remonstrate with them about that. You in a financial hole because of their misrepresentations, albeit a temporary hole.

But the reality is that Rivian is pumping out a whole lot of cars in a little bit of time, and stuff is going to occasionally go wrong. It shouldn't, but that's the nature of buying cars; always has been. Better to get the GC issues resolved prior to actual delivery. Better customer relations and corrections and repairs done offsite at a local dealership or service center will never be as good as those done by the factory. You'll drive your Rivian for a long time and have a lot of fun with it. An annoying wait now will pay off in the long run.

Hang in there. Stick Voodoo needles in your Rivian doll if you need an outlet. And notwithstanding your present and temporary issues, I envy both of you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RivianATX and Ipadl

You're not in a happy place, especially after waiting a long time for this moment of delivery to arrive. There is no way that Rivian should have told you to put down $30K on a car they could not at that moment deliver, and you should remonstrate with them about that. You in a financial hole because of their misrepresentations, albeit a temporary hole.

But the reality is that Rivian is pumping out a whole lot of cars in a little bit of time, and stuff is going to occasionally go wrong. It shouldn't, but that's the nature of buying cars; always has been. Better to get the GC issues resolved prior to actual delivery. Better customer relations and corrections and repairs done offsite at a local dealership or service center will never be as good as those done by the factory. You'll drive your Rivian for a long time and have a lot of fun with it. An annoying wait now will pay off in the long run.

Hang in there. Stick Voodoo needles in your Rivian doll if you need an outlet. And notwithstanding your present and temporary issues, I envy both of you.
Thanks. Overall I'm very excited....mostly just venting. I have no doubt it's difficult to start an EV company from scratch.

I literally just got a notice from UPS with the tracking number for my wall charger. When I checked the tracking, it's telling me it's ALREADY been delivered and it's sitting on my front porch! I wasn't even told it was shipped. That's progress!

So now I just need the truck to plug it into! I'm 1/2 way there!

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you'd like to switch places - you can send me $30K and I won't give you a truck...then we'll be in the same spot.
If Rivian OK’s the order transfer, it’s a deal. Wonder if I can change model and options since they have to get a new VIN. What model, color and options did we order?

·
Registered
96 Posts
So a little over a month ago, I received an email that my truck is ready for delivery and I should schedule a meeting between myself and my guide.

Needless to say, I was very excited. That's when the fun started.

After the initial conversation where I learned my truck was in Dallas (I'm in Austin!) and that I could have it as soon as a couple days, my guide basically ghosted me for about a week.

When I finally got all the detail on the purchase process from him, I began signing the docs and working my way through it.

Around that time, I was informed that there was some sort of issue with my truck that they're working through at the delivery center in Dallas and that there could be a short delay.

I was then told to go ahead and complete the purchase process and they will get the "issue" with my truck worked out and get it to me. Ok...that's not a great feeling.

They wouldn't share detail on the issue with the truck - just that they found some items in pre-inspection that needed to be addressed.

I finished all the paperwork, got the truck on my insurance (so now I'm paying for that) and I gave Rivian a $30K deposit on 4/1/22...I also lined up a private buyer for my current vehicle.

Shortly thereafter, my guide informed me that the issues with the truck I purchased cannot be fixed and he has to "disconnect" me from that VIN in order to find me ANOTHER truck that meets my specs.

How long will that take? No idea.

Meanwhile, Rivian has $30K of my money and I have a private buyer who I've been holding off for over 2 weeks to buy my truck. How long will he wait? No idea.

Needless to say, Rivian is not inspiring alot of confidence right now TBH.
RivianATX, your story sounds familiar; I am in Wimberley. I placed my order in Feb of '19. I spoke to my guide last Friday for the first time, was told my truck was also in Dallas, and began the paperwork. By mid Monday morning I had signed docs, sent images of my driver's license, proof of insurance, and had transferred full payment funds. As of a few minutes ago, all steps are completed except approval of my driver's license??? Without driver's license approval, i cannot schedule delivery. I have emailed and called my guide. So far, no feedback. So close and yet so far...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RivianATX, your story sounds familiar; I am in Wimberley. I placed my order in Feb of '19. I spoke to my guide last Friday for the first time, was told my truck was also in Dallas, and began the paperwork. By mid Monday morning I had signed docs, sent images of my driver's license, proof of insurance, and had transferred full payment funds. As of a few minutes ago, all steps are completed except approval of my driver's license??? Without driver's license approval, i cannot schedule delivery. I have emailed and called my guide. So far, no feedback. So close and yet so far...
Yep, I placed my order in January of 2019! I find my guide is most responsive to text messages....have you tried that?

·
Registered
130 Posts
It must be extraordinarily difficult to manufacture vehicles at volume. We hear about troubles on the forum pages, 10:1 over happy campers (pun intended), but I doubt Rivian hires people who have never done manufacturing assembly line or QC on automobiles, right? I think we all expect snafus with the new part of the vehicle (battery, electric motors and maybe touchscreen interface). Still, doesn't the industry know how to fit weather stripping on a passenger door so that it closes properly? Anyone know what is the reject rate of Ford, GM or VW coming off the assembly line? They have LOTS of practice.
OK, so I am wondering as I write this. Here's Musk explaining it and the accompanying article. Apparently it is difficult.
Manufacturing electric vehicles is “insanely difficult,” Musk said. “Those who have not actually been involved in manufacturing just have no idea how painful and difficult it is. It’s like you got to eat a lot of glass.”

·
Registered
89 Posts
That's too bad. Look at the bright side: they're making sure you get a truck that passes inspection. Hopefully they'll give it extra attention given the fumble. Hang in there!
for me it looks like Guide issue, he may be new... and may not check truck before schduled delivery.
Hopefully , they will call him and atleast say appolozy , rescheduled his delivery on ASAP.

thanks

1 - 20 of 42 Posts