Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Manufacturing electric vehicles is “insanely difficult,”
Applies to autos in general and we can see it in the established mfgs like Ford, GM, VW able to pivot to EV's fairly easily with no mfg issues while the new to autos like Tesla, Rivian, Lucid in US go through more first time issues. I think Ford specifically hired Audis head of new plant mfg to head up the MachE build centered at the Mexico plant. The experience of both Ford and the Audi exec showed with a very smooth roll out.

With the first Model 3's it was the same as we see with Rivian now. Delivery dates changed, models would get to Service Center and be DOA for some unknown reason and another week or two for the car delivery. I was early depositor for Model 3 and could have had a 2018 but put it off until 2019 and I think it saved me a lot of headaches. Even then, the car went into the shop almost immediately for features not working. In Tesla's case, I think they knew the item had good chance of failure but they shipped and delivered in hopes your's was not "the one". The buyers are the real "guides".

I'll be keeping the Tesla for first 1,000 miles on the Rivian even in expected '24 delivery in case it has to go into the shop. As we also learned with Tesla, the parts to fix can be in short supply as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
RivianATX, your texting advice this morning worked! My truck will be delivered on Monday @ 1:30!!! Can't hardly believe it. I will report back when truck is in hand.
Nice! I'm in Buda and drive through Wimberley on the way to my parent's place, maybe we'll see each other on the road sometime. My guide says my R1S should be delivered in 2 to 3 weeks, hopefully I won't experience any of these major issues with delivery timing and communication.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice! I'm in Buda and drive through Wimberley on the way to my parent's place, maybe we'll see each other on the road sometime. My guide says my R1S should be delivered in 2 to 3 weeks, hopefully I won't experience any of these major issues with delivery timing and communication.
GaryGR, I received my R1T yesterday as promised. All "gear" (floor mats, cross bars, etc.) will be delivered shortly. The delivery process was flawless. I am now immersed in the user's manual, working through preferred settings, features, etc. It drives like a dream, very solid and wicked quick acceleration. I am anxious to load it up and take it to Canyon Lake for some kayaking. Let me know when you receive your R1S, I am curious about similarities and differences.
Worth the wait!

·
Registered
32 Posts
GaryGR, I received my R1T yesterday as promised. All "gear" (floor mats, cross bars, etc.) will be delivered shortly. The delivery process was flawless. I am now immersed in the user's manual, working through preferred settings, features, etc. It drives like a dream, very solid and wicked quick acceleration. I am anxious to load it up and take it to Canyon Lake for some kayaking. Let me know when you receive your R1S, I am curious about similarities and differences.
Worth the wait!
That's great to hear! Once mine is delivered we should meet up so you can see the SUV and I can see the truck. For the past 3 1/2 years I've gone back and forth between the R1S and the R1T, and part of me still wants to switch. I'm trading in a Tundra and will occasionally miss the truck bed, but I think overall the R1S will be better for us.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was riding in a Rivian, and it was a ton of fun! It does go 0-60 in just 3 seconds, pushing you back into the seat, and even your stomach is pushed back! It is like the takeoff of a very fast roller coaster ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Frustrating to be sure but you folks are the first of the first so not entirely unexpected. Better they are conservative with the product delivered than you it having to go in the shop a lot and you without a vehicle. I didn't put the Subaru up for sale until I had the Tesla which worked well as it went back and forth for about a month on fix it stuff so I had the Subaru to drive around it with no issues. Tesla won't go until the Rivian has some break in miles.

The $30k out of pocket, we are all likely 1st of the 1st worlders so even a couple months losing interest of disposable cash is not Death Watch for Smoochy situation just the arrows of the pioneers.

Be happy to change places with you.
FLY EAGLES FLY

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for this info. I'm currently in a similar circle. I was contacted in the middle of March stating that my truck was ready for delivery when I would be on vacation. Unlike your experience my guide has been pretty responsive.

I filled out the paperwork and lined up a proxy to take delivery while I was still on vacation. Something came up in final QC with the passenger door that delayed my delivery. On checking Rivian's internal tracking it showed that my truck had arrived in SLC (I'm located in Montana) and was waiting for that a door to ship out for replacement prior to sending directly to me.

Delivery to me was scheduled last Thursday for this upcoming Friday. On Friday my guide called and told me that the truck was actually not in SLC but was still in Normal at a body shop. He had to cancel the delivery with no ETA.

I work in specialty vehicle manufacturing and I feel for both my guide and for Rivian as a whole. I can't imagine trying to scale and ramp production while squashing the bugs that are likely coming up as a result. Most of what I'm seeing and reading are small, isolated struggles like mine (ours?). The vast majority are great experiiiiiiiences. Personally, even though I'm a bit impatient to get the truck (it feels like a bit of a tease) I would rather that Rivian gets it right than send me a truck to remote Montana that needs to have issues fixed.

I hope yours gets resolved quickly and to your satisfaction and I'm hoping the same thing for me. :)

Seth
You stated "internal tracking" is this something you log into once they get back to you with a scheduled delivery date/time? Or is this something I can log into now with my delivery not taking place till October?

·
Registered
30 Posts
You stated "internal tracking" is this something you log into once they get back to you with a scheduled delivery date/time? Or is this something I can log into now with my delivery not taking place till October?
There is nothing too can log into from my knowledge. In conversations with my guide he would make mention of checking to see where a truck is and it's status. I'm guessing it's just Rivian's ERP but as it showed my truck in SLC when it was actually in Normal it may not be very accurate (or the tracking of my truck was a fluke).

·
Registered
349 Posts
@Victerry Previously you said your delivery window is April/May, right? If that's the case, there's no indication yet that your delivery is being delayed. Delivery windows were assigned in Nov 2021 based on a large number of factors, as stated in the pre-order agreement and on the website. Pre-order date is just one of those factors - others include your location and your configuration. And you have Ocean Coast interior? They didn't promise any OC for the March/April window that I know of - the earliest windows were April/May for OC, so you're in that first tranche. Most of the OC orders were given a later May/June window. I'm in that May/June window myself.

I believe Rivian has largely met all of its delivery windows so far, which to me is a far more important metric than the absolute number of deliveries.

If they're still telling you April/May, then I would give them the benefit of the doubt - you should expect to be contacted to start the paperwork sometime in that window, or at the very least be given a new window when, and if, they decide they can't meet your original window.

Since pre-order date was never the sole factor in prioritizing production, it doesn't bother me if someone who ordered after me gets delivery before me, but it would bother me if my delivery got pushed back more than a month or so from the window they promised back in November. I think it's perfectly fine to hold them accountable for delays, but as of now (and for another 6 weeks) your order is not delayed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
That's too bad. Look at the bright side: they're making sure you get a truck that passes inspection. Hopefully they'll give it extra attention given the fumble. Hang in there!
Yeah...I did get my charger installed last week so that's progress. Last I heard on Friday, they "may" have found a replacement truck that meets my specs....should know more Monday.
🤞

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I was riding in a Rivian, and it was a ton of fun! It does go 0-60 in just 3 seconds, pushing you back into the seat, and even your stomach is pushed back! It is like the takeoff of a very fast roller coaster ride.
Got mine yesterday and it was one of the first things I had to try. The launch is insanely fast...your description of it being like a roller coaster is spot on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So a little over a month ago, I received an email that my truck is ready for delivery and I should schedule a meeting between myself and my guide.

Needless to say, I was very excited. That's when the fun started.

After the initial conversation where I learned my truck was in Dallas (I'm in Austin!) and that I could have it as soon as a couple days, my guide basically ghosted me for about a week.

When I finally got all the detail on the purchase process from him, I began signing the docs and working my way through it.

Around that time, I was informed that there was some sort of issue with my truck that they're working through at the delivery center in Dallas and that there could be a short delay.

I was then told to go ahead and complete the purchase process and they will get the "issue" with my truck worked out and get it to me. Ok...that's not a great feeling.

They wouldn't share detail on the issue with the truck - just that they found some items in pre-inspection that needed to be addressed.

I finished all the paperwork, got the truck on my insurance (so now I'm paying for that) and I gave Rivian a $30K deposit on 4/1/22...I also lined up a private buyer for my current vehicle.

Shortly thereafter, my guide informed me that the issues with the truck I purchased cannot be fixed and he has to "disconnect" me from that VIN in order to find me ANOTHER truck that meets my specs.

How long will that take? No idea.

Meanwhile, Rivian has $30K of my money and I have a private buyer who I've been holding off for over 2 weeks to buy my truck. How long will he wait? No idea.

Needless to say, Rivian is not inspiring alot of confidence right now TBH.
I am in Austin (Georgetown). similar experience, signed the early purchase agreement in April, got ghosted, had a Vin, didn't have a VIN, signed another purchase agreement for a different Vin....5/10, 8pm guide text that its ready.. signed another PA... Delivery set for 5/14 Sat....this morning 5/1.... its not ready any more... on its way from Normal... WTF

·
Registered
325 Posts
I am in Austin (Georgetown). similar experience, signed the early purchase agreement in April, got ghosted, had a Vin, didn't have a VIN, signed another purchase agreement for a different Vin....5/10, 8pm guide text that its ready.. signed another PA... Delivery set for 5/14 Sat....this morning 5/1.... its not ready any more... on its way from Normal... WTF
The getting ghosted part is what is unexpected, the delays are understandable with the very first deliveries. Rather a vehicle Rivian has confidence in. Assuming they do additional tests locally before delivery and if it doesn't pass, they don't ship it. At which point, getting someone the same spec vehicle could be problematic with limited production.

But never ghosting. Always communicate with client even the bad news. Which is why I'd like to see Rivian start posting the expected delivery dates based on best current estimates which it said it would do about now. Be conservative, same info you give investors. Update it every quarter. It's OK if it moves out but give clients a rough target.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
What's your most recent update from Rivian @Hrp783? That it's on its way from the factory?

·
Registered
32 Posts
The getting ghosted part is what is unexpected, the delays are understandable with the very first deliveries. Rather a vehicle Rivian has confidence in. Assuming they do additional tests locally before delivery and if it doesn't pass, they don't ship it. At which point, getting someone the same spec vehicle could be problematic with limited production.

But never ghosting. Always communicate with client even the bad news. Which is why I'd like to see Rivian start posting the expected delivery dates based on best current estimates which it said it would do about now. Be conservative, same info you give investors. Update it every quarter. It's OK if it moves out but give clients a rough target.
Yes, exactly! My guide was very responsive the first couple of weeks, but I've had no response from him or customer service since April 26. At that time he said I still looked good for delivery within 2 weeks, which has now passed with no communication.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts