Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Bought my Tesla in 2015 and they had a local service where I lived. Always had great service back then. Super nice and would always give me a Tesla loaner. Once they were short on loaners and gave me a Maserati instead 😁. Since the Model 3 came out, service has gone downhill some. They just seem overwhelmed. Take it all with a grain of salt though, because I’ve only been to the service center less than 10 times in 5+ years of ownership. Mostly for simple recall stuff.
Any independent Tesla service shops near you? It might be a good alternative.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
239 Posts
A Maserati is quite the loaner car to get from Tesla haha.

For servicing my guess is that experiences are going to be hit and miss depending on where people are and whether or not they're dealing with third party shops.
Upside is that EV’s require far less servicing than traditional ICE vehicles. Many of the problems are software related which can be handled by over the air updates. Lack of service centers will be an issue for the earlier adopters since there’s the double whammy of limited # of service centers and working out any kinks in the car over the first year or two. I bought my Tesla on year 3 of production, with a local service center in operations. But quite frankly, didn’t really need that local service center much.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I reached out to Rivian's customer support team looking for more details and this is what I found out.

"We'll be utilizing mobile service whenever an over-the-air software update isn't enough. Bringing service to your home or workplace at your convenience.

If more extensive work is needed we'll provide transportation of the vehicle to and from a service center or third party partnership at no additional cost to you

We strive to create a seamless owner experience for our community

While I don't have a servicing schedule at this time, there's less overall maintenance compared to a gas vehicle

Our Quad-Motor system is less susceptible to wear and tear as there aren't hundreds of moving parts

Using regenerative braking, you'll slow a vehicle without applying the brakes so fewer brake changes"

21 - 24 of 24 Posts