Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I measured how comfortable I was with a 12mm spacer for purposes of testing how close the factory 275/65/20 tire moved to the fender lining. Results below:
View attachment 6103

Based on the spacer test fit, I'm looking at a getting a custom forged wheel set: 20x90+43 which is pushes the entire wheel/tire assembly 11mm outward (almost identical to above). Any more aggressive like a 20mm...I would be afraid munching my fender while driving.
Is that a NISMO GT-R?

@gemmisa nice work! Do you think you can increase offset and run larger tires (285s or 295s) as well? And nice GTR (with te37s?).
Welcome to the forum! What sort of fitment are you going to after with your Rivian?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I measured how comfortable I was with a 12mm spacer for purposes of testing how close the factory 275/65/20 tire moved to the fender lining. Results below:
View attachment 6103

Based on the spacer test fit, I'm looking at a getting a custom forged wheel set: 20x90+43 which is pushes the entire wheel/tire assembly 11mm outward (almost identical to above). Any more aggressive like a 20mm...I would be afraid munching my fender while driving.
Where are you thinking of getting the forged wheels from @gemmisa?

·
Registered
R1T Launch Edition | El Cap Granite
8 Posts
@gemmisa nice work! Do you think you can increase offset and run larger tires (285s or 295s) as well? And nice GTR (with te37s?).
295/60/20 (33.9) would be very close in outer dims from the stock Pirelli 276/65/20 tire (34.1).
Load rating of 126 is the same as stock also.

I haven't looked at inner clearance from the tire to air suspension assembly, but I'd still be concerned about the tire getting too close to the fender. Might munch the fender in low mode with a 295 or a 275 with overly aggressive offset.

20" TE37's probably aren't loaded for a truck with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 8,532lbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's a longer video for those who are curious. Most of the Rivian content starts around 7:30 min mark.

It sounds like the wheels are +1 offset? It looks like a bit much, and I'm not sure how this doesn't rub on turns or dips. But good to see possibly how aggressive one can get.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Here's a longer video for those who are curious. Most of the Rivian content starts around 7:30 min mark.

It sounds like the wheels are +1 offset? It looks like a bit much, and I'm not sure how this doesn't rub on turns or dips. But good to see possibly how aggressive one can get.

Agreed, waaaay too much poke. I can't imagine what the range hit will be on these also

·
Registered
454 Posts
Is the bottom line that one can only get new tires from Rivian? There's a current thread where a new owner could not buy a spare tire and wheel from Rivian because Rivian did not have them to sell.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Now having the truck, I have to say, the wheels and tires look pretty big. Have the 20" all-terrains. They certainly fill up the wheel wells. On a car where you want little space in the fender wells, that's great. But, for an off-road oriented vehicle, was thinking of possibly dropping the series down a size. 34 inch tires almost feel a little too big for the Rivian. Coming down a size (60 instead of 65 series) would be 33". Basically would only add 1/4 inch or so in spacing from the fender wells, which is minimal. But, thinking it might look better and more proportionately sized for the size of the truck and would help with clearance if adding more offset to bring the wheels outward. Just a thought.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Researched the wheels on the green truck in the video. 20x9 with stock size 34" tires, but has a +1mm offset.

Just got mine on. 20x9, went with a 33 1/2" tire for a little more clearance and an 18+mm offset, so they stick out 0.66 inch less than the those on the green truck. Definitely happy with the fitment. Wasn't my first choice on styling as I normally go with all black, but, on the white truck, these are actually growing on me.

Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
203 Posts
This is a great thread, but I need someone to ELI5 this for me. I have the stock 21s today. My driving is primarily road, with snowy backroads to deal with in the winter. Off-roading, if ever, would be extremely light.
I”m fairly certain I’m going to need something more appropriate than the stock 21” tires for PA winters. I understand tire geometry, aspect ratio, etc. but all this offset stuff has my head spinning.
I’m thinking that I’ll want something in a 20” (since going much smaller doesn’t seem possible) good winter tire, but I don’t want the tire to rub in any of the ride heights, and I also don’t want the tires to protrude any more than necessary. Can any of the tire physicists on this thread suggest a wheel size/tire that might fit these requirements? I suspect this or a similar ask will be a FAQ, especially if Rivian claims that they are the single source for wheels/tires. IMHO they won’t be helpful in helping us choose tires if that’s their attitude.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I”m fairly certain I’m going to need something more appropriate than the stock 21” tires for PA winters.
We should probably address this part first and probably in another thread as it's not wheel dependent at all. For the record, I'm an advocate for winter/snow tires and swap wheels/tires around Nov and back off in March.

That said, can you elaborate on why you think you need different tires for the winter?

Are you thinking about general traction and getting stuck?
Are you worried about general road holding and sliding off the road during a turn?
Are you worried about traveling at highway speeds and having the car wallow/potentially spin out at speed?
Are you worried about the ability to brake in a reasonable distance?

Then..

What type of roads do you drive on? Are the backroads small, shoulder less asphalt? Or are they gravel? Dirt road? Roads or trails?

I'm not trying to be a pain but depending on your answers there are very specific recommendations. You might actually want a 22" winter tire that's not as blocky for highway slush and ice vs a 20" aggressive fat tire for deep snow as an example.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Fair enough, I’ll start another “Winter Tire” thread. The reason I posted in this discussion about wheels is that at least for the foreseeable future, there are limited aftermarket wheel options, which will similarly limit tire options.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Researched the wheels on the green truck in the video. 20x9 with stock size 34" tires, but has a +1mm offset.

Just got mine on. 20x9, went with a 33 1/2" tire for a little more clearance and an 18+mm offset, so they stick out 0.66 inch less than the those on the green truck. Definitely happy with the fitment. Wasn't my first choice on styling as I normally go with all black, but, on the white truck, these are actually growing on me.

View attachment 6722

Nicely done. Agree that on white truck any all black choice would vanish against the white.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts