Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
They look good. Design looks very similar to the C7 Corvette's Z51 package wheels.

Just found this. Forgiato (very expensive) did a set of wheels. Curious about the load rating of those wheels. Spokes look awfully thin. But, have to assume, if they custom made them for the Rivian, then they're probably OK in terms of handling the weight.

www.youtube.com/shorts/-BNRrATHN9s

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Had a great chat with a fellow from Variant about their wheels for Rivian. Super friendly and helpful, seriously considering a set.

View attachment 6820
Just saw those in my Instagram feed. Here's some more:

http://instagr.am/p/CeeZzbOPFm4/ "Zero rubbing, zero compromise. The first fully forged wheel built to spec for the brand new Rivian R1T. Will you be putting the SSM-1P on your truck?"
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Car Vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

http://instagr.am/p/CefItGhrNZF/ GO THE DISTANCE. A fully forged wheel made from 6061-T6 aerospace aluminum that sets you up for the roughness of the outdoor lifestyle.
—————————————————————
Model: SSM-1P
Finish: Satin Bronze
Size: 20x9 (Shown)
Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Cloud Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window

·
Vendor
58 Posts
Variant told me they do rub if you go to lowest sport height, which I do. I then asked about moving offset in just a bit for less potential of that, and that's where the conversation dropped off. They don't want to reveal their offset number, but that offset doesn't clear so I don't see what's the point of keeping it secret when there is not much value in an offset that doesn't actually work, unless you are willing to not go full low.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Variant told me they do rub if you go to lowest sport height, which I do. I then asked about moving offset in just a bit for less potential of that, and that's where the conversation dropped off. They don't want to reveal their offset number, but that offset doesn't clear so I don't see what's the point of keeping it secret when there is not much value in an offset that doesn't actually work, unless you are willing to not go full low.
Even if it did clear, I’m not sure why they’d care about keeping the offset secret.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Looks like at least an 18mm offset. This one has the full size stock 34" tires on it. Yes, they will rub. I have wheels with an 18mm offset, but went with a tread matching 275/60/20, 33" tire and no rubbing. Same exact looking tire, but one series down. I actually think the 33" tire fits the truck better. The 34's to me, dominate the wheel well too much. If you're doing extreme off-roading (lots of rocks and such), then you apparently want more sidewall, but for all other purposes, I like the 33" tire better.

18mm is right at that edge of being able to work. I've gone back and forth several times already. Tried to go down to a 20mm to bring them in just a tad bit more, but the 20mm wheels then didn't clear the calipers.

But, all depends on the cut of the wheel and how thick the spokes are. There are clearly wheels with less offset that will fit. At least for the wheels I was interested in and considering, that were not custom made specifically for the Rivian, most 18mm options appear to work. Most 20mm options do not. However, I am working on having custom 2mm spacers made to see if I can get the 20mm offset wheels on. I like the style of them better. Pushing them out 2mm would be equal to the positioning I have now with the 18mm offset wheels. So, they should work. Unfortunately, nobody makes a 2mm wheel spacer in the correct bolt pattern, so having to go custom for those. Have a direction in place. Hopefully can get them on in the next week or two.

·
Registered
657 Posts
@kizmybute':
The thing I don't understand about your posts is that you keep saying that a +18mm offset is the maximum that will work and that even a +20mm offset is too much.

But the stock Rivian 20" wheels have a +48mm offset.

I don't see how all your numbers are consistent with the OEM 20" wheels and 275/65R20 tires. Yes, I understand you're using a 9" wide rim instead of 8.5", but pushing the wheel out an extra ~7mm (+41mm offset) should compensate for that by keeping the inner edge of the rim/tire in the same place and putting the extra width on the outside. Still way more than the +20mm you claim is the maximum.

I believe you that the wheels/tires you have work, but your explanations just don't make sense to me.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

·
Vendor
58 Posts
Cool video, thanks. I prefer the Bronze finish and appreciate all the effort.

Not much discussion in the video on fact these are WIDER than stock for better cornering support of the tires. The Rivian is SO HEAVY, fast in straight line but it quickly overwhelms the tires in the turns and going 20x9 will help the tire do the job, sharper turn in, more stable tire contact patch for more ultimate grip, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your R1T looks great @MarkR1T! How does it feel on the road with the new wheels?
Thank you. They have been outstanding and while not traditional aero designs, the combined 12lbs+ of weight reduction has given a slight increase in range. Acceleration is difficult to quantify gains, but they weigh less, so.....

My goal was accomplished a more aggressive off road style with zero loss in performance. I would highly recommend these Variant wheels.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I looked into this early on- you may want to chat with CS- they told me changing anything on wheel or tire would effect the warranty. The specifics- I did not ask.

i too am looking for a 22’ tire with just a little more Tread than the street it comes with.
I'm looking for a 2nd set of all terrain. I'll drive the 21's tooling around town and high way trips to visit my daughter, and swap out for overlanding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know this might sound crazy to many on here…But, I’d like to find/commission a “steelie” style 20” rim for the R1-T. I’m using the Nomad Convoys on my Ligthning—also, an odd offset/bolt pattern, as they were as close to a steelie that I could find. As the search continues I’ll keep the thread posted…Here are my trucks on steelies llike or as close as i could get on the Ligthning

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

61 - 80 of 83 Posts