Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After Alexa not recognizing a destination 3 times a young Rivian Office manager in Dallas just told me it would not take long to manually enter an address in the Rivian map. I tried to explain we had moved away from manually entering addresses. His answer was "Alexa is an amenity and you're lucky to get it. It's not a navigation system". Wow. I am in real estate and use my Tesla (google) maps constantly. Somebody PLEASE tell me there is a work around. Thanks

· Registered
4 Posts
Alexa rarely works for me either. There is a clunky workaround in the new firmware update that lets you send destinations found on Apple Maps or Google Maps on your smartphone to your Rivian navigation. Frustratingly inelegant.

· Registered
93 Posts
I also hate Alexa. It rarely finds destinations when I ask for the business name. If I read off the street address then it finds it but reading a physical address is a pain. And then it gives me a long dissertation and finally asks if I want to go there. Totally useless piece of crap.

· Registered
74 Posts
I do not use Alexa. I manually enter the address in the Rivian nav and everything works flawlessly (except for not being able to add a stop...). I do not ever ask Alexa to do anything for me. It is not enabled anywhere in my live.

· Registered
7 Posts
4-5 years ago conversational interfaces were 'the new big thing' - unfortunately that turned out to be a dead end... Siri has not evolved, Cortana died, and Alexa has just had much of it's dev team laid off...
Hey Rivian, can we have a functional interface :)

· Registered
7 Posts
Alexa works for me about 75% of the time on addresses (I'm in real estate also...) but the weird thing is it routes me to the alley of a property/address instead of to the street. This is pretty consistent.

· Registered
280 Posts
what I don't get is how our maps are so outdated. I have had 3 addresses now that I couldn't navigate to. Some that have been around for several years - San Diego International Airport - Car Rental Center. It can't find it at all. The only way is to look the address up on your phone and then type that address in.

Another was a housing community that is also several years old and the address doesn't even exist to type in to navigate to.

With over-the-air updates, I would have expected our cars to have the latest maps/addresses at all times.

· Registered
789 Posts
Has anyone figured out how to get it to open my garage? That alone would be helpful, rather than having to navigate to it through the touchscreen...
Rivian has not exposed the built-in garage door opening function to Alexa. However, if you already have an Alexa-enabled garage door opener like the MyQ then you can use Alexa in your Rivian to open your door through that opener.

· Registered
789 Posts
the weird thing is it routes me to the alley of a property/address instead of to the street. This is pretty consistent.
That happens to me all the time with Google Maps too, at least when looking up an address and doing a street view - I frequently get a view from the alley. I think the Mapbox data as well as the Google data uses the center of the property and chooses the closest road to the center as your viewpoint. Google routing does a fair job of correcting for that and routing you to the actual street where the address is, while Mapbox doesn't. I also see this when routing to parks etc. where Mapbox will route you to the road point that comes nearest the center (and sometimes doesn't know about the roads inside the park), while Google Maps seems to use the address of the entrance for routing.

· Registered
789 Posts
what I don't get is how our maps are so outdated. I have had 3 addresses now that I couldn't navigate to. Some that have been around for several years - San Diego International Airport - Car Rental Center. It can't find it at all. The only way is to look the address up on your phone and then type that address in.
Curious. Just for fun I asked my R1T: "Alexa, directions to San Diego International Airport Car Rental Center" and it found the address at 3355 Admiral Boland Way. It then told me I might not have enough charge to reach my destination 1100 miles away ...

· Registered
789 Posts
There is a clunky workaround in the new firmware update that lets you send destinations found on Apple Maps or Google Maps on your smartphone to your Rivian navigation.
This is not a "workaround" for anything. This is an awesome new feature that lets me share waypoints from my phone or my other trip planning apps with my vehicle. My passenger can search for nearby restaurants, read reviews, then send the chosen waypoint to the nav system. I hope Rivian continues down this path and makes it easy to share entire routes and trips including intermediate waypoints with associated text via GPX files. It also could be more general, to allow sharing addresses or waypoints from a wider variety of apps, but I think it's a great step in the right direction and is something I've asked Rivian for several times in the past.

· Registered
280 Posts
Curious. Just for fun I asked my R1T: "Alexa, directions to San Diego International Airport Car Rental Center" and it found the address at 3355 Admiral Boland Way. It then told me I might not have enough charge to reach my destination 1100 miles away ...
Wow that's crazy. So only my car has some old outdated maps? lol. I tried speaking it, typing it, and wouldn't work. I'm going to try it again now, maybe it's been updated with the latest software update.

· Registered
789 Posts
After Alexa not recognizing a destination 3 times a young Rivian Office manager in Dallas just told me it would not take long to manually enter an address in the Rivian map. I tried to explain we had moved away from manually entering addresses. His answer was "Alexa is an amenity and you're lucky to get it. It's not a navigation system".
Alexa is used as a voice interface to the navigation system. Alexa is not finding addresses or routing or anything like that, it is just doing the speech recognition and passing that data into the underlying navigation system. It would be interesting to know whether Alexa was just not understanding what you said, which would be a problem with Alexa, or whether the underlying navigation (Mapbox) doesn't have the correct data. It's also worth noting that the Rivian skill which passes the data from Alexa to the navigation system probably only understands if things are phrased in a way it expects. I know "Alexa, directions to ..." works, as well as "Alexa, navigate to ...".

· Registered
789 Posts
Wow that's crazy. So only my car has some old outdated maps? lol. I tried speaking it, typing it, and wouldn't work. I'm going to try it again now, maybe it's been updated with the latest software update.
I don't have a clue, but there must be a reason why some people have no luck with Alexa while it seems to work fine for others. Are you using "Try Alexa" or are you using it when signed into your Amazon account? I wouldn't be surprised if being signed in (like I am) results in better/more functionality. I know if you're signed in it will integrate with all your Alexa settings and preferences on your account, which helps a lot in getting Alexa to respond like you want.

· Registered
280 Posts
I don't have a clue, but there must be a reason why some people have no luck with Alexa while it seems to work fine for others. Are you using "Try Alexa" or are you using it when signed into your Amazon account? I wouldn't be surprised if being signed in (like I am) results in better/more functionality. I know if you're signed in it will integrate with all your Alexa settings and preferences on your account, which helps a lot in getting Alexa to respond like you want.
I'm signed in, but it's not Alexa but more an issue with the maps itself. Alexa can't navigate to it because my maps don't even show that as a possible route/destination. Even if you type in that name, it doesn't show up. I tried a lot of variations to find the rental place and it just doesn't exist on the maps.

· Registered
789 Posts
On my map in the car it shows up as "Rental Car Center", and if I ask for "San Diego International Airport Car Rental Center" my car can find it even though the name is slightly different (asked for Car Rental Center vs found Rental Car Center).

I don't think the maps are permanently stored on the vehicle, but they may be cached. For me, since I don't live anywhere near San Diego, my vehicle would have to pull the latest available mapping data, but for you maybe the local data is cached from when you first got your vehicle, and has since been corrected the latest version of the maps?

I submitted some corrections to Mapbox last week, when I encountered some wrong routing data while driving. (Report a problem with the map | Help). A day later they emailed me to say they had fixed their map data in response to my correction. I am curious to see when and if those corrections appear on my R1T.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts