Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is amazing! I'm visualizing taking the Rivian to each of these parks one at a time. And, possibly waiting in a line of Teslas to get a charge.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
Two L2 chargers at each park. It’ll be interesting to see how long before these things are constantly occupied.

·
Registered
800 Posts
The 2 chargers per site is a tad limiting but gotta start somewhere.
There's a lot of overhead to install the first charger, and it goes down as you add additional chargers.

It's MUCH easier to install 10 in one swoop rather than do "2 now" and then fight for 8 more, later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There's a lot of overhead to install the first charger, and it goes down as you add additional chargers.

It's MUCH easier to install 10 in one swoop rather than do "2 now" and then fight for 8 more, later.
Just knowing that there are chargers out there is a big deal for me. Plus, since I live in Denver, it gives our family a reason to visit all of these places. And, in a time when reservation holders are hungry for any info, this is a breath of fresh air.

But, I agree that two stations per park is not a lot.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think 2 is about what I was anticipating for most locations. My biggest concern is over whether people will end up plugging in and then going on a 5 hour hike, when they only needed 30 minutes of charging. I'm not sure there's any way to prevent that type of thing happening, and that would drastically reduce the throughput on the stations.

I would assume the choice to only do 2 is not due a financial limitation, but if it were I'd rather see 2 spaces in 500 stations than 4 spaces in 250 stations, especially since I don't live in Colorado. This does give me a lot of hope that Washington will get a good number of adventure chargers though, since we've also got a very active outdoors scene.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
230 Posts
I think 2 is about what I was anticipating for most locations. My biggest concern is over whether people will end up plugging in and then going on a 5 hour hike, when they only needed 30 minutes of charging. I'm not sure there's any way to prevent that type of thing happening, and that would drastically reduce the throughput on the stations.
30 minutes of charge on an L2 station would only add about 12 miles on a Rivian, not really useful. You can expect L2 chargers to be tied up for hours at these locations.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Fair point, but I was really just trying to illustrate the idea that these locations are more likely than others (I think) to lead to excessive camping of charging slots. Maybe if they're located in the right place this won't be an issue (entrance/exit of OHV areas as opposed to entrances to hiking trailheads).

·
Registered
224 Posts

I would assume the choice to only do 2 is not due a financial limitation, but if it were I'd rather see 2 spaces in 500 stations than 4 spaces in 250 stations, especially since I don't live in Colorado. This does give me a lot of hope that Washington will get a good number of adventure chargers though, since we've also got a very active outdoors scene.
Tesla handles this by implementing an idle charge, if you do not disconnect within 5 minutes of the charging being stopped you get charged by the minute for a connection fee.

It currently is I think 50 cents a minute (30 bucks an hour), does not help to open the spot but does provide an incentive to leave when done.

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
Agree that folks will likely be taking up a spot for 2+ hours at these places. My minimum hike is generally 2 hrs, and more typically 3-5 hrs. Hopefully they will make the cords long enough that 2 chargers can support 4 or more EV parking spots. And that there’s a way for folks to unlock the charging port from their phone (assuming both the car and the phone have cell service) so that once you’ve taken on enough charge, you can allow someone else to unplu from your vehicle and plug into theirs. Or if both terminals are in use, you can leave a note on another car to plug you in when they are done.

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
Tesla handles this by implementing an idle charge, if you do not disconnect within 5 minutes of the charging being stopped you get charged by the minute for a connection fee.

It currently is I think 50 cents a minute (30 bucks an hour), does not help to open the spot but does provide an incentive to leave when done.
I think this concept is more challenging when the chargers are in locations where you’re likely to be away from the vehicle for hours. Also, at L2 rates, either you likely already have enough charge to get back, or you’re not going to be gone long enough to fill it anyway. It’ll likely take 8+ hrs for a Rivian to go from 20% to 80% on an L2 charger.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think this concept is more challenging when the chargers are in locations where you’re likely to be away from the vehicle for hours. Also, at L2 rates, either you likely already have enough charge to get back, or you’re not going to be gone long enough to fill it anyway. It’ll likely take 8+ hrs for a Rivian to go from 20% to 80% on an L2 charger.
Agreed, that would however discourage people that did not really need to charge from plugging in because they can. It may help to leave them open for someone who needs it.

I know I am guilty of plugging in if I pull into a parking lot and get a few miles while I grab a bite to eat or run into a store. I do not though if I think it will end the session before I am going to be back.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Agree that folks will likely be taking up a spot for 2+ hours at these places. My minimum hike is generally 2 hrs, and more typically 3-5 hrs. Hopefully they will make the cords long enough that 2 chargers can support 4 or more EV parking spots. And that there’s a way for folks to unlock the charging port from their phone (assuming both the car and the phone have cell service) so that once you’ve taken on enough charge, you can allow someone else to unplu from your vehicle and plug into theirs. Or if both terminals are in use, you can leave a note on another car to plug you in when they are done.
I don't want any stranger touching my car or messing with the charger while I'm connected.

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
I don't want any stranger touching my car or messing with the charger while I'm connected.
I just have an issue tying up a charger for longer than I need to charge. Perhaps you don’t care, or you have another solution to that challenge that you’d like to share?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I also found it odd that we're just getting L2 here. In areas like this it should L3 so we can spend more time on actual adventures.
If there's enough demand for L3 (add a poll to this thread? @Mr. Gee), we can try reaching out to Rivian.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I just have an issue tying up a charger for longer than I need to charge. Perhaps you don’t care, or you have another solution to that challenge that you’d like to share?
I would unplug my vehicle when it is done charging.

I think it's rude to occupy a charging stall for longer than necessary.

This is why having smart phone integration (either an app or at least a SMS message) is important.

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
I would unplug my vehicle when it is done charging.

I think it's rude to occupy a charging stall for longer than necessary.

This is why having smart phone integration (either an app or at least a SMS message) is important.
I’d just prefer not to have charging dictate my recreational options at these types of locations. If I’m going to hike 5 miles back and then spend a couple hours of rock climbing and then hike back out, that can easily be 5 hours. Hiking back out to unplug after taking on 2 hours of needed charge is not really practical. Tying up a charger for 5 hours when I only need 2 is not courteous. Anyway, it’s all about options and what people are comfortable with. I’d choose allowing someone to either unplug me or plug me in vs. the other options. Being able to control the locking and opening of the charge port via the app would allow those options. Then each person can choose how they utilize it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts