Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may end up as vaporware, but I like that someone is thinking about a smaller low cost EV pickup truck. I think it would be a hit with people who are looking for something under $40,000.

Maybe a future Rivian model in a similar configuration ?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Their whole lineup of vehicles look great but this all seems way too good to be true. IF they somehow do become legit I don't think they get deliveries done in 2023.

·
Registered
214 Posts
As far as the limited market
I AND FORD TOTALLY DISAGREE!
ANY ONE SEEN THE MAVERICK!
THE WOLF IS AWSOME!
But at almost $50k
For that I will be getting a self driving CyberTruck with more range more speed more everything
They are going to need to be a much lower price
But I put my name in the hat
Love it and the JAX
We will see how capable off-road they are
But where did they come from and will they get there
It's tough
Need a lower price tag

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am old enough to remember the 80s, but just because something was successful in the 80s does not mean it will be now. You can disagree if you want, but that does not mean you are correct. The Colorado and Ranger combined for less than 25% of the sales numbers of the F series in 2020. Look up sales numbers, small trucks just don't sell particularly well, much less a two door. Would some people purchase it, sure, just not enough to make it successful.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I am old enough to remember the 80s, but just because something was successful in the 80s does not mean it will be now. You can disagree if you want, but that does not mean you are correct. The Colorado and Ranger combined for less than 25% of the sales numbers of the F series in 2020. Look up sales numbers, small trucks just don't sell particularly well, much less a two door. Would some people purchase it, sure, just not enough to make it successful.
Will I believe there is a HUGE market
Pool guys small business
Young people
But not at almost 50k
Not even 25k
The market is untapped and has been for ever
But it needs to be more like a Kandi
I want one of those but they are having big problems and I don't want to give my $ to China
If someone could build the Wolf for around $20k that would be sold out for years
If Kandi can build those nice little cars for less than a Golf Cart it shows promise
But so many hurdles
I personally think the Kandi is being blocked by politics
Wish crash safety was listed and the cars came with a warning like cigarettes
Not the government telling us we can't have them because they are not safe
Motorcycles are not safe
But that's why we pay so much
Laws and politics
Bla bla bla
Lol
Look at the side by side market
HUGE!
That is where the Wolf would kill it
That is proof the market is there
Got to stop this rant
Can you tell I have no Facebook account
Lol

·
Registered
800 Posts
Everyone who says "THESE WILL SELL" also adds that asterisk (*) and the fine print reads "if it's dirt cheap". Which it won't be -- they never are.

These people also seem to forget that a bunch of manufacturers used to make small single-cab trucks, and almost all of them have stopped doing so because they did NOT sell well.

It's no different than those people who complain about lack of manual transmissions. They're an extremely vocal group, but when it comes time to put their money where their mouth is, they simply don't. Manufacturers know this.

I can't help but think of Tobias from Arrested Development when I think of people who want five speeds or small single cab trucks:

And yea, that's probably true. And the manufactures know it... And THAT is why they're not building it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Give me a call when this thing gets built. In the meantime, yet another digitally-rendered concept. As for the Kandi, does the EV world need its own Yugo? The margins on EVs are not huge and the margins on sub-$20,000 are close to zero. Reminds me of the joke about the guy whose friend sells suits below cost. How does he make money? Volume.

·
Registered
841 Posts
For anyone that's interested Top Gear shared a video of them looking at one of Alpha's Wolf prototypes.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Looking strictly at the specs, it lacks so much compared to Rivian. Then consider all the things that make Rivan awesome - gear tunnel, accessories, interior, 4 motors, wading depth, etc. All the metal on the truck just makes me think of all the future corrosion potential. The body on frame design doesn't seem to give it any big EV advantages either. Not to mention, it's not even a prototype or pre-production vehicle if it has no interior. Mehhh

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's only a model, not a working prototype. No competition to Rivian, but at half the cost, it could have a place in the market. Let's see if they have enough financial backing to survive.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well it's certainly one of the most impressive barista-led new EV introductions in recent memory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am all for the more EV suppliers the better we all are competition is good. If we look back at the host of EV startups, history is not in their favor. I think the window is rapidly closing on startup EV manufacturers. Rivian is getting there foot in the door before the traditional manufacturers do with trucks and SUVs. By 2023 there will be a host of options. Not exactly what Alpha is offering but would take away from the market share. I wish them the best but they have a tough road ahead.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts