Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Rivian uses Alexa, is there an Amazon Music App in the vehicle? If not, is it downloadable? My wife and 2 kids use Spotify, but I don't have a Spotify account. Amazon music (free, not unlimited) doesn't have everything, but I was able to put enough of what I like in my Amazon music library on my iphone app so I don't need to pay an extra monthly user fee for Spotify (I just kinda had to draw the line somewhere on monthly fees).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Since Rivian uses Alexa, is there an Amazon Music App in the vehicle? If not, is it downloadable? My wife and 2 kids use Spotify, but I don't have a Spotify account. Amazon music (free, not unlimited) doesn't have everything, but I was able to put enough of what I like in my Amazon music library on my iphone app so I don't need to pay an extra monthly user fee for Spotify (I just kinda had to draw the line somewhere on monthly fees).
There is no Amazon Music app but with Alexa onboard, you'll be able to play any and all "free" music that's available to you as a Prime member and any personal music you've purchased through Amazon that's associated with your account. You simply tell Alexa what you want to hear. Unfortunately, the truck won't start the music up again without being told to after you turn it off and then return and turn it on again; I have to tell Alexa to "resume" each time I get back in the truck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no Amazon Music app but with Alexa onboard, you'll be able to play any and all "free" music that's available to you as a Prime member and any personal music you've purchased through Amazon that's associated with your account. You simply tell Alexa what you want to hear. Unfortunately, the truck won't start the music up again without being told to after you turn it off and then return and turn it on again; I have to tell Alexa to "resume" each time I get back in the truck.
So, there's no way to import the library of songs I like from my Amazon music app on my phone to the vehicle? I wonder if you can tell Alexa to "Play (insert your name) music library"? Is Alexa that smart (can it make that connection)?

·
Registered
90 Posts
So, there's no way to import the library of songs I like from my Amazon music app on my phone to the vehicle? I wonder if you can tell Alexa to "Play (insert your name) music library"? Is Alexa that smart (can it make that connection)?
As far as I know, there's no way to import songs and store them. When you initially set up Alexa in the truck, you'll use your Amazon sign-in; once you do that, Alexa will be able to access Prime music (if you're a Prime member) as well as your library of purchased music at Amazon. I haven't tried it yet, but you can likely create a named playlist of your favorite music in Amazon Music and Alexa can then play that named playlist.

You can also play Amazon Music stations included with Prime simply by telling Alexa to "Play the [named station] from Amazon Music"; I've confirmed that that works, too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I know, there's no way to import songs and store them. When you initially set up Alexa in the truck, you'll use your Amazon sign-in; once you do that, Alexa will be able to access Prime music (if you're a Prime member) as well as your library of purchased music at Amazon. I haven't tried it yet, but you can likely create a named playlist of your favorite music in Amazon Music and Alexa can then play that named playlist.

You can also play Amazon Music stations included with Prime simply by telling Alexa to "Play the [named station] from Amazon Music"; I've confirmed that that works, too.
Can't wait to try it. September 2019 R1S reservation holder.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Amazon will play continuous music but it will depend on how you ask Alexa. If you ask for a specific song, that's all you'll get. In order to get continuous music, you'll need to tell Alexa to either play a specific Amazon Music station or playlist.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Can you not load up a USB drive with songs (in mpeg or other format), plug it in and have them recognized? If not, Rivian should enable this. Seems pretty simple.
I haven't tried this mostly because others have said that the only thing that you can currently do on the USB ports is download GearGuard videos; however, the main reason is that all of the USB ports are type C and I don't have any type C drive keys since they're not very widespread. I thought about buying one in case I need to save a video at some point but it hasn't been a priority and there are other music options that meet my needs.

I will say that the the infotainment system definitely has shortcomings. Often Alexa won't accept commands for a minute or two after startup; also, any time you get out of the truck (even if you don't "turn it off"), the music stops playing and you have to tell Alexa to "Resume music" each and every time. Yesterday when I got in for a return trip home, I couldn't get any sound whatsoever out of the speaker system - Alexa was acknowledging visually but not audibly and even though music appeared to be playing, there wasn't any sound (and it wasn't on mute!); the next time I started the truck, things were back to normal. Also, the "Play" icon on the audio screen is absolutely useless since it will not actually (re)activate previously playing music, which makes no sense. Anyway, still lots of room for improvement to say the least...

·
Registered
348 Posts
I haven't tried this mostly because others have said that the only thing that you can currently do on the USB ports is download GearGuard videos; however, the main reason is that all of the USB ports are type C and I don't have any type C drive keys since they're not very widespread. I thought about buying one in case I need to save a video at some point but it hasn't been a priority and there are other music options that meet my needs.

I will say that the the infotainment system definitely has shortcomings. Often Alexa won't accept commands for a minute or two after startup; also, any time you get out of the truck (even if you don't "turn it off"), the music stops playing and you have to tell Alexa to "Resume music" each and every time. Yesterday when I got in for a return trip home, I couldn't get any sound whatsoever out of the speaker system - Alexa was acknowledging visually but not audibly and even though music appeared to be playing, there wasn't any sound (and it wasn't on mute!); the next time I started the truck, things were back to normal. Also, the "Play" icon on the audio screen is absolutely useless since it will not actually (re)activate previously playing music, which makes no sense. Anyway, still lots of room for improvement to say the least...
I just bought a USB-A to USB-C adapter for $10.00 on Amazon. I also purchased a USB-C thumb drive for $28 on Amazon too, but with the adapter can run the old style thumb drive as well.

www.amazon.com/dp/B07YYJL21Z?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVX3516?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
www.amazon.com/dp/B07YYJL21Z?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

·
Registered
348 Posts
Disregard the first and third links. Apparently can't format that to a Fat32 format. I also purchased a flash drive that was designated as specifically being for a Tesla as I know it's Fat32 capable. Didn't have any with USB-C plugs, so used the adapter and can confirm it works and allows me to save video now. A little more expensive at $40. Fortunately, I can always use flash drives, just can't use the first one in the Tesla or Rivian.

Following two links will get you what you need to make it functional.

www.amazon.com/dp/B0896VFR3W?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details - Tesla Flash Drive
www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVX3516?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details -USB-C to USB-A adapter

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Wow! Vehicle software seems very buggy. I thought this was the reason Rivian was slow and deliberate in bringing their vehicles to market–so this kind of stuff wouldn't happen. Hope they get it straightened out soon. If they don't, Ford, GM and VW will squash Rivian. The next year 1.5 years will be a turning point. Ford is working on an electric Explorer to be released at the end of 2023/beginning of 2024. GM and VW are working on similar (Blazer, ID4, 6, & 8) for their mid-to-large size SUV offerings. Then there's Kia/Hyundai... Even Stellantis is going to electrify Jeeps. Rivian doesn't have much time to stay ahead of the heavyweights.
What makes me think Ford, GM and VW won't have these same kinds of issues? They probably will to some degree, but they are figuring it out now with current BEVs. C'mon Rivian. We are pulling for you. Get these vehicle software bugs fixed!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts