Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I feel compelled to make a lighthearted jab at not recognizing satire. Reminds me of a super liberal friend getting so angry at Stephen Colbert. Don't miss out on knowing the Onion, an institution of American satire! 12 Not-Too-Smart People Who Don't Know 'The Onion' Is Satire

My favorite by far is slide 16. I was just explaining to someone what I have to go through in our Ioniq 5. I just charged the car while shopping at Walmart. I had to triage my shopping list because charging was so fast, and I didn't want to keep someone else from charging (or pay the idle fee). The car charged the equivalent of 3/4 a tank of gas, which would have cost $18 but was free because the car came with 2 years of free charging (that's $50 for gas). The sacrifice I'm making is being encouraged to shop too fast, and at Walmart, because that's where the free chargers are now - that won't be the case forever - although I could also fill up at my house or any of 3500 other charging stations in my city.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have heard many more other concerns and questions from non-EV drivers. Not all of them are wrong, but the only legitimate practical concerns will now imminently be gone in but a few years at this point - with more fast chargers, better batteries and economies of scale lowering prices of everything related to EVs. It is funny to think about 'sacrifices' though. I honestly may miss:
-revving an engine
-the hum of idling helping babies fall asleep
-really never again being able to drive manual
-the smell of gas at a pit stop
-getting really dirty working on the car

The worst thing about EVs right now is actually not being able to get one. We had to drive to a dealer four states away to get our current car, which we only got because Rivian just postponed our delivery again to who knows when (it's already been 3 years).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just about every one of those was brilliant. I love The Onion.

“Talking about gas prices with people makes me feel like I’m a part of something.”
“I can’t kill myself by running an electric car in my garage.”
“My job is 40 miles away and I don’t own an extension cord that long.”

🤣

1 - 13 of 13 Posts