Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Open up CarGurus and set up a nationwide search. There are over 20 cars are offered. They are not that rare anymore. If you have access to dealer's auctions, there almost every day at least one unit is going through the line. I predict that In the next few months when more units will be delivered they will be offered for $100k maximum. Especially, when people who have trucks now and who somehow will end up buying Rivian will realize that Rivian is not the real truck that is capable to pull an 8000lbs trailer for 500mi non-stop :) California fashion people are not in this bucket, they just like new toys :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
... Especially, when people who have trucks now and who somehow will end up buying Rivian will realize that Rivian is not the real truck that is capable to pull an 8000lbs trailer for 500mi non-stop :) California fashion people are not in this bucket, they just like new toys :D
All trucks seems to loose around 50% of range when towing because of aerodynamics, gas/diesel has the advantage you can just gas one up in 5 minutes. Are there trucks with 1000 mile range when not towing, that would be a lot of gas money (f150 23 gallons, 550 miles not towing from this random site https://www.carindigo.com/ford/f-150/mpg)? If I was towing the halved range would be a pain no matter what, but worse in an ev.

·
Registered
47 Posts
All trucks seems to loose around 50% of range when towing because of aerodynamics, gas/diesel has the advantage you can just gas one up in 5 minutes. Are there trucks with 1000 mile range when not towing, that would be a lot of gas money (f150 23 gallons, 550 miles not towing from this random site https://www.carindigo.com/ford/f-150/mpg)? If I was towing the halved range would be a pain no matter what, but worse in an ev.
I'm not a truck person and probably my expectations were too high regarding how many miles an average US market pickup could run on a full tank with a heavy trailer behind. However, as an experienced EV owner, I can convict you that 1st argument from an average pickup owner will be "I can't fill up that thing in 5 minutes" (which is not a real situation today). A typical stop at the pump will take at least 10 minutes, in some cases even longer. But you also have already mentioned this :)

There are a lot more things, that I can't argue with and the only thing I can do is to agree with them, this is the real situation today...

Towing a trailer with a Rivian (or any EV pickup) will bring a ton of different issues regarding charging. Starting with a situation where you will be blocking a few charging stalls (in some cases you will not be able to charge at all without dropping the trailer. I used to tow with my Model X...) and all the way to the fact that the deep charge that is required for a towing will take well over an hour. Imagine towing a trailer from Seattle to SLC? How many stops it will take? A lot... And to be honest it won't be that cheap.

Also, in today's world, any other big charging networks excluding Tesla's network are not covering the whole country and I'm not talking about situations when you can slightly change the route. Today many states can't offer good charging network coverage even driving through without any trailer for EVs with CCS...

I bet there are a lot of pickup people who pre-ordered or even already purchased Rivian expecting that they will be able to drive with a trailer for 320 claimed miles just because they don't really understand how EV is working... This is why I say in the next few (maybe 6 months) there will be a ton of Rivians on the market at fairly good prices. Around or even lower than $100k.

After attending the first-mile drive I would say that R1T is a really good car for its money, but I will never buy it to use as a classic truck...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not a truck person and probably my expectations were too high regarding how many miles an average US market pickup could run on a full tank with a heavy trailer behind. However, as an experienced EV owner, I can convict you that 1st argument from an average pickup owner will be "I can't fill up that thing in 5 minutes" (which is not a real situation today). A typical stop at the pump will take at least 10 minutes, in some cases even longer. But you also have already mentioned this :)

[... lots of good stuff]
That's all pretty reasonable. I agree a lot of surprised people will expect to have the original range when towing with an ev and they will be sorely disappointed; you don't have to think about this so much with gas or diesel, partly because you can fill up quickly, but also pull through at the gas station. And then you get an ev and there must be a terrible moment when they realize "wtf, I have to take the trailer off every time to recharge and the range is not what I hoped".

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
That's all pretty reasonable. I agree a lot of surprised people will expect to have the original range when towing with an ev and they will be sorely disappointed; you don't have to think about this so much with gas or diesel, partly because you can fill up quickly, but also pull through at the gas station. And then you get an ev and there must be a terrible moment when they realize "wtf, I have to take the trailer off every time to recharge and the range is not what I hoped".
Hard to feel sorry for these people. If you’re moving from ICE to EV you need to do your homework. If not, caveat emptor.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hard to feel sorry for these people. If you’re moving from ICE to EV you need to do your homework. If not, caveat emptor.
No one says that we should to feel sorry for these people. I would say we should be happy that they will try to get rid of that truck and used market price will be going down 🤣

Even now, there is at least one R1T in Colorado at the Porsche dealer sits for 40 days already and the price is already going down :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts