Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Houston, TX, and we currently own a Volvo XC90 which has a huge glass roof but with a sliding shade. We love it. The shade keeps us cool during the VERY hot summer days. I know that Rivians don't have a shade. Is anyone experiencing issues with heat on Sunny days or is there some magic in the way these roofs are built?

·
Registered
15 Posts
the car I had before with a panoramic glass roof had a shade can be closed. I have heard from people who has the Model Y that the big glass roof is very hot during summer in Southern California. Tesla sells a shade to snap on the interior ceiling. some people just opt for an expensive heat blocking tint.

I would like to see Rivian offer a shade at least.

Hood Vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
91 Posts
I live in Houston, TX, and we currently own a Volvo XC90 which has a huge glass roof but with a sliding shade. We love it. The shade keeps us cool during the VERY hot summer days. I know that Rivians don't have a shade. Is anyone experiencing issues with heat on Sunny days or is there some magic in the way these roofs are built?
I'm near Austin and was quite concerned about the roof, especially when presented with the opportunity to speed up delivery by switching from the OC interior to the BM interior. And because there was no shade cover available. However, I must say that it hasn't been an issue. Then again, it also hasn't been 105 yet either. :) The glass is extremely tinted - I can look at the sun just like I've always been told NOT to do. And when I stick my hand near it on a sunny day, I can't feel any radiant heat (yet) either...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just geting used to receiving “cabin over temperature” notifications for TMY and i keep a roof shade on that I assume helps somehow.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would say, however, that the glass itself does get quite hot to the touch, but haven't had any concerns about that heat radiating down to me.
Same here in sunny Western Oregon. So hot it will burn your hand to touch it. Which means it's radiating into the car. The Tesla sun shield (popular demand) does help a lot especially from accidentally touching the burning hot black roof.

The Tesla glass roof car mfgs have been imitating is a cost saving device for the Model 3. Cheaper in materials and in mfg, allowing top entry of components, a cost saving "bug" sold as a "feature".

For the Rivian, hopefully they'll also sell and inside shade. I'll probably get the entire roof wrapped in the same green as the body. Keep things cooler and look better.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm near Austin and was quite concerned about the roof, especially when presented with the opportunity to speed up delivery by switching from the OC interior to the BM interior. And because there was no shade cover available. However, I must say that it hasn't been an issue. Then again, it also hasn't been 105 yet either. :) The glass is extremely tinted - I can look at the sun just like I've always been told NOT to do. And when I stick my hand near it on a sunny day, I can't feel any radiant heat (yet) either...
I concur with Mike in Texas, I am in Wimberley just south of Austin, and have the BM interior. So far I have been pleasantly surprised by how effective the roof glass is. I have experienced more heat gain from the windshield, but everybody with a windshield knows that story.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like at one point in 2019, they planned on offering an electrochromic roof:

Then they decided against it stating that the tint was optimized:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I concur with Mike in Texas, I am in Wimberley just south of Austin, and have the BM interior. So far I have been pleasantly surprised by how effective the roof glass is. I have experienced more heat gain from the windshield, but everybody with a windshield knows that story.
Glad you guys are asking this question... I'm in Dallas and am trying to decide if I switch to the BM interior from OC to get my truck earlier. I have a black-on-black car now but not with a glass roof and it certainly gets warm in the summer months. But as you referenced, that's most likely coming from the windshield. Thinking I may just go for the BM interior.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Glad you guys are asking this question... I'm in Dallas and am trying to decide if I switch to the BM interior from OC to get my truck earlier. I have a black-on-black car now but not with a glass roof and it certainly gets warm in the summer months. But as you referenced, that's most likely coming from the windshield. Thinking I may just go for the BM interior.
My situation is very similar. In Dallas with two black-on-black (don't ask) cars. I'm not sure they get that much hotter than my silver car. I'm R1S Silver/OC. I plan to stick with that choice even if I have to wait a bit longer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is the black mountain leather black or a dark gray? It is hard to tell from images on computer and YouTube videos. Also does wood have grayish grains coming through? It seems that way on some images, which I love! I want the light gray (assuming that is the color of ocean coast) seats, and think it would look WAY better with black wood trim than tannish/brown wood tones of Ocean Coast that appear on computer images. It seems that since Ocean Coast wood is hardest to do, they would allow customers to switch to black wood trim, but keep light gray upholstery in the seats. If anyone has seen these colors in person, please let me know if Ocean Coast seats are light gray in person, or more of a cream or white. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
my wife’s car is a Volvo with the sliding shade, and I think that is an elegant solution. Gets well over 100 where I live, so I am a bit concerned about this. but I won’t have delivery until after many of you Guinea pigs figure this out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is the black mountain leather black or a dark gray? It is hard to tell from images on computer and YouTube videos. Also does wood have grayish grains coming through? It seems that way on some images, which I love! I want the light gray (assuming that is the color of ocean coast) seats, and think it would look WAY better with black wood trim than tannish/brown wood tones of Ocean Coast that appear on computer images. It seems that since Ocean Coast wood is hardest to do, they would allow customers to switch to black wood trim, but keep light gray upholstery in the seats. If anyone has seen these colors in person, please let me know if Ocean Coast seats are light gray in person, or more of a cream or white. Thanks.
The truck I drove during my First Mile time was the LA Silver with the BM interior. I do think it looks more like a very dark gray and the wood tones are gray. It's a very good looking interior and I'm struggling between that and the OC. I really like the BM look but like the OC for the Texas summers...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts