Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
I live in Phoenix and had a Model X before my current Model 3. I used Tesla’s interior screens in both cars and have had no problems with heat in the cabin. I’m sure screens will be available for the R1S.
I live in the Phoenix area too. It gets oven hot.
Why are you "sure" sun screens will be available for the R1S? Are you or someone you know making one?

·
Registered
70 Posts
the car I had before with a panoramic glass roof had a shade that can be closed. I have heard from people who have the Model Y that the big glass roof is scorching during summer in Southern California. Tesla sells a shade to snap on the interior ceiling. Some people just opt for an expensive heat-blocking tint.

I would like to see Rivian offer a shade at least.

View attachment 5656
Model Y is not made to go "off-road" either. Live in Colorado, where sand and gravel (a millimeter difference between sand and gravel) are used on many mountain roads and highways. The shade protects you from sun, noise, and temperatures (we are a mile or two closer to the sun and have over 320 days of sunshine a year depending on location). When highway debris hits your roof and it shatters (which happened on my Genesis GV80) it prevents the glass shards from entering the car. The wind soon tore up shade until I could get off-highway but protected me from shards. Any off-road heavy activity is not too smart for a complete glass roof, glass is not near as strong as aluminum or steel and torsion stress will be hard on these, though B and C pillars bear the most weight. I'm older; heavy off-roading is in the past. A manual shade can't cost that much. Film coatings do not protect a rock traveling at 70 mph either. GV80 shattered roof:
World Automotive tire Automotive mirror Asphalt Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
glass is not near as strong as aluminum or steel and torsion stress will be hard on these
A glass roof will shatter from a rock strike at the right speed/angle…. But for twisting motion a glass roof is actually stronger than a metal skin. Tesla has said their glass roof contributes to better crash test scores and adds to the rigidity of the structure.

I had a 2015 GMC Sierra with a moonroof (loved that truck) and it was super quiet on the highway. People who bought the same truck without the moonroof would complain about weird noises from the roof on the highway. GM eventually released a tech journal explaining that the air at high speeds could push on the roof skin and cause it to ripple and it would make unpleasant noise. The moonroof-equipped model had the benefit of a piece of glass and a couple support beams for the assembly to mount to which gave the roof more strength and didn’t exhibit the problem.

Do we know what type of glass the roof is? I assume tempered — so no shards but rather small pebbles if it breaks. If the glass is laminated then a plastic sheet is adhered between two thin layers of glass and that will keep the glass “together” and is much safer in the even of a break. Even if not laminated, you could add a film if so inclined. That film would keep the broken glass together. I had my vehicle broken into once — smashed front window. Window was tinted. Came out to the vehicle to find the window smashed and pushed in, but it was almost entirely still attached to the tint film and was relatively safe and easy to clean up (none the less upsetting, of course).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Tesla does not have an "off-road" vehicle, the RIvian R1S comment was directed to the full glass panel on a RIvian R!S and having a screen shade (which will stop glass from entering the cabin). Every glass hit is different, no matter how many simulations you run, lamination, coatings, and tempered can all shatter with the right force. When off-roading and torsion stress from the A, B, and C pillars from different stress angles can buckle glass. Side spills or roll-overs will surely cost much more than an aluminum or steel roof repair. Tesla does not make their glass, AGP does, and we have seen "bulletproof glass" fail during Elon's demonstrations on stage (don't think this was not rehersed either). Again, when "off-roading" metal is better, less expensive to repair, and safer, any "off-roader" or "rock climber" will explain it in more detail. https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...=b85b7e0178191e81e82b6f3cd023cdc5&action=view

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Phoenix and have had my R1T for about two months now and I have concerns about the heat coming through the glass roof when it is parked in the sun. I normally park in covered parking at work and in the garage at home so it hasn't been much of an issue but but over the weekend I had to park it in the sun on a 100 Degree day and the cabin was over 120 deg when I got in. With all the black interior surfaces it took a while to cool off the truck. If they made a folding sun shade the right size I think you could just pop it in when parked similar to the windshield sun shades. There is a lip that comes out around the glass roof that would allow you to slide in a sun shade assuming you could find one the right size. As an experiment I took my sun shade for the windshield and slid it into the corner of the glass roof it easily slid past the lip and was supported on two sides.
Car Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive lighting Wood Bumper Automotive design

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes, expand that roof by about four times for the R1S, and bet some people will be cooking like Betty Crocker. I will tint it as much as I can and put some clear wrap on the outside to maybe stop a crack from sand and gravel but would prefer the "delete" option or at least a shade that pulls shut in the interior. Live in Boulder, Colorado and at a mile high, two miles high in the mountains it is a lot brighter and more intense, even on winter days with the sun beaming. I'm sure Rivian or some after-market company will address this in the future. Genesis took a direct hit a few weeks ago and wasted the whole roof. The insurance company asked what hit it? I said I really was not watching out my sunroof while driving. Who knows what hit it, wasn't behind semi either.

World Automotive tire Automotive mirror Asphalt Automotive exterior

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
3M Crystalline film makes a world of difference on my Model 3. You can get it in clear so you don’t darken the window but get the benefit of heat reflection.
I hear you, but Rivian is supposed to be a serious off-road vehicle, with a water wade depth of about 30 Inches and some heavy-duty suspension, one motor per wheel, and some heavy-duty tire options for off-roading. Model 3 is more of a cross-over cruiser, great for snow-covered roads, about all I will be using the R1S for myself. Used to have a Humvee about 25 years ago. Rivian indeed is not a Humvee.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

My off-road time is behind me with 7 bad discs from playing sports too hard earlier in life. But, I would not want to take an entire glass roof vehicle off-road or see someone drop on their side or roll and wait for that estimate. The strain of the B and C pillars is very hard on roofs, and they have to flex; I don't see how a sheet of glass can bend like aluminum or steel. If so, more power to the engineers, but you don't see much glass in airplanes after 100 years due to the flex they have to incur from just pressure changes. One seems very acceptable in the pick-up truck (it is not that not large) or as much flex as the entire panorama roof, still would like to have a shade to pull shut. I am not worried, maybe a blizzard or two in Colorado on the roads is my worst encounter nowadays, but if going out to Moab and attempting some climbs with spotters, I have my doubts. Then again, I don't think too many people will drop near $100K for a rock climber, then again, who knows. Grab a running Humvee diesel at a military auction for a third or fourth price, or an old Jeep with a straight-six, which is very capable, and repairs are cheap if heavy-duty rock and trails are your goals. Just as I would not take a new Range Rover HSE on rock climbing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hoping someone makes a custom glass ROOF sunshade for R1T and R1S. Actually, Rivian should commission someone to make one, and then sell it on their gear website. Windshield shades are plentiful.
Since I live in Phoenix area, I plan to get maximum reflective sunblocking film. I used Prestige Spectra Photosync IRD on my model S (even windshield), and it's amazing. I don't need even need to use a sunshade.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hoping someone makes a custom glass ROOF sunshade for R1T and R1S. Actually, Rivian should commission someone to make one, and then sell it on their gear website. Windshield shades are plentiful.
Since I live in Phoenix area, I plan to get maximum reflective sunblocking film. I used Prestige Spectra Photosync IRD on my model S (even windshield), and it's amazing. I don't need even need to use a sunshade.
It's on there, they just call it a "Top Window".

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in Houston, TX, and we currently own a Volvo XC90 which has a huge glass roof but with a sliding shade. We love it. The shade keeps us cool during the VERY hot summer days. I know that Rivians don't have a shade. Is anyone experiencing issues with heat on Sunny days or is there some magic in the way these roofs are built?
I took delivery here in Houston last Friday. The brutal heat on Saturday didn't seem to really faze the interior. Didn't notice it much. The tint on the sunroof is pretty dark actually.

All that being said, the side windows are really light. Looking at getting those tinted pronto.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok here is my updated experience: you 100% wanna do the roof. I can feel the sun on my head in the middle of the day, and after 2 hours in the sun, you can't touch the roof.

In summary, if you're in a hot climate, do all windows! :)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts