Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
R1T Launch Edition '22
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Realize this is a common discussion but most threads I have found are old (pre delivery) and generic, probably speculation about EVs in general & don't seem to have any particular knowledge specific to the Rivian cells, BMS or ESS overall.

Rivian's onboard software suggests a daily charge limit of 70% and suggests charging to 85% and 100% will decrease battery wear. Other than 70% being even lower than maybe I would have expected, seems fine so far. But I cannot find anything from Rivian saying that fast DC charging reduces battery life or to avoid it (not that I doubt it does, but I'm wondering how much). Or to put it a better way, when confronting a road trip, which is better: charge vehicle at home to 85% or 100% before a trip and either forego the fast charge on the way (or fast charge for a shorter duration)?

Many DC fast chargers are ~50kW, which is still a 2-3 hour charge and doesn't strike me as a charge rate that would be fast enough to really damage the battery. To me it's completely unobvious whether for argument sake charging to 100% before a trip would be worse or better than leaving the home at 70% SOC and then charging from say 30-70% via fast charging at 50kW or even 150kW.

Just wondering if anyone has any heuristics to guide decision making when planning road trips.

On a related note, I'm frustrated by the lack of charging configurability. I would love to be be able to tell the car / charger to do something like "charge to 85% by 3pm" vs trying to do the math to figure out how soon I need to start charging to get to a desired level before a trip (to avoid letting the truck sit at high SOC for longer than necessary).

The pinned post on this forum and this thread has some discussion but not really any practical advice for making charing tradeoffs for trips.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Here are a few tips. I just went from Annapolis to Cape Cod last night - FWIW. I wouldn't worry about battery wear for a trip, particularly if you are burning the juice. I would worry if I were just charging to 100% for daily driving and depleting slowly over time, and letting the vehicle sit around a lot. So...

1. Charge to 100% before you go if you are planning to deplete the battery and have a longer trip.
2. Charge to 100% before you leave to return
3. Charging on the road will be fine to 85% full, then you will feel like you are wasting time for the last 15%
4. Better to stop again and then charge at the faster part of the charging curve IMHO
5. The U/I could be better for the actual charger destination in the Nav on the display.
6. I haven't figured out how to click into the destination on the actual route to see what is there for food for example
7. Consider looking for charging spots that are NOT in the Rivian Nav too (EvGo has some good locations)
8. Don' plan to find any Rivian Adventure super chargers (this is where Tesla has the edge).
9. Initiate all of your charges directly from the APP (even if it says PLUG IN FIRST)
10. Using a credit card (even if it is the same card stored in your mobile wallet on the app) will NOT tie to your account
11. It took me a bit to get comfortable with the U/I's for Chargepoint, E/A, EvGo, etc.
12. If food options are not available near your DC FC, have your co-pilot order ahead, pick-up, then charge
13. Plan. to charge at rush hour. its probably meal time anyway.
14. If you have kids, its good to have easy access to sports equipment or something to stretch their legs and DISTRACT THEM from your longer pitstop
15. If you have problems, call the 800 number on the charger. Service is generally fast and helpful. I have had them either initiate a charge remotely if I am having an issue with activating or authorizing, or they will confirm that the station is offline. Sometimes there are issues at stations that look to be online, BUT THEY ARE NOT. Frustrating to be sure, but at least you know to move on, or move to the other charger.
16. Be careful parking. The spaces for EV charging all seem to be designed for Smart Cars'

1 - 2 of 2 Posts