Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the Rivian site, go to the menu and select Support\Purchasing\Rivian Experiences
You can sign up to be notified when test drives are in your area.
I did that, but I don’t really live near any major cities so I doubt one of those is happening near me. Reno, NV is the closest city to me. SF, CA is about 5 hours away and Vegas is 7.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Though I signed up long ago for notification of a test drive, I, along with about 5.7 million others, live in the Philadelphia area. Rivian and most tech companies consider Philly an unimportant backwater, even though it's the fifth largest city in the country, I'm sure we are not likely to ever make the list of places for Rivian test drives. Most likely folks in my area will need to go to NYC or WDC for a test drive - if and when they actually happen.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm very interested in getting an R1T, but I'd like to test drive one first. Is there any way to do that? I can’t find anything on their website
Assuming you haven't actually placed an order yet you are about 2.5 years minimum from getting one. And honestly if you need a test drive to be sure, this isn't the truck for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Assuming you haven't actually placed an order yet you are about 2.5 years minimum from getting one. And honestly if you need a test drive to be sure, this isn't the truck for you.
Do a lot of people spend $80k on a vehicle they've never even seen in person? From a brand new manufacturer with no history? There is no way I'd actually spend that kind of money without driving one first. :eek:

But if the lead time really is 2+ years then it's not an option anyway. I have 6 months left on my Model 3 lease with no option to buy. Even if I do the 6 month extension it's going back to Tesla in March 2023 and I have to have something to replace it with by then. There is no chance I'm going back to an ICE. So it looks like I'm going to have to get the Model Y Performance with the tow hitch and just use a small trailer when I need to haul stuff. :cautious:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Do a lot of people spend $80k on a vehicle they've never even seen in person? From a brand new manufacturer with no history? There is no way I'd actually spend that kind of money without driving one first. :eek:

But if the lead time really is 2+ years then it's not an option anyway. I have 6 months left on my Model 3 lease with no option to buy. Even if I do the 6 month extension it's going back to Tesla in March 2023 and I have to have something to replace it with by then. There is no chance I'm going back to an ICE. So it looks like I'm going to have to get the Model Y Performance with the tow hitch and just use a small trailer when I need to haul stuff. :cautious:
No, I have to absolutely disagree with IThinkFreely on this one. First, I imagine most people will in fact want to test drive it before buying (or have some Tesla-type of a money-back guarantee for a week after purchase). While there are undoubtedly people out there who would shell out $80k on a vehicle without driving one, I highly doubt that's anywhere near the majority of us.

As to the 2.5 years, that's also anyone's bet, but probably close to accurate. The latest we heard was that the deliveries for people who placed orders in mid- to late- 2021 were scheduled through the end of 2023 (R1Ts in the first half, and R1S mostly in the second half for later orders). Without knowing how many orders they've had since, it's difficult to gauge, and although we are all hoping they will have the lines fully running at capacity before the end of 2023, I would still imagine if you were to order today (especially if you were ordering an R1S), your best bet would be 1Q of 2024. With an R1T it's quite likely that you would be in the mid-to-late 2023, but again, that's assuming there are no further delays, which with (relatively) new manufacturers is always a big "if", even in the best of times.

·
Registered
464 Posts

More than a few folks have signed up for the Tesla CT, which, assuming it delivers next year, will have taken more than 2-1/2 years to get to your driveway. As far as I'm aware, there is no way to test drive the CT, though Tesla at least has a track record.

There is essentially no chance that an order for any Rivian model placed today will deliver in a year, and only a marginally greater likelihood of getting one delivered in two years. Frankly, at this juncture, there really doesn't seem to be much of an advantage in placing a pre-order for a Rivian at all. The company will get to full-rate production some time in the middle future, perhaps by mid-next year. Once that happens, and after the existing pre-orders are fulfilled (mid to late 2024 is my guess) and unless demand is overwhelming, your lead time from order to delivery will be just a few months.

You are right that for the near term, if you want an electric SUV, the Model Y is really the only option. Sometime later this year however, you may be able to order a Kia EV-9 however, and there are likely to be quite a few other alternatives by the time the Rivian R1S starts to roll off the assembly line in respectable numbers.

I'm hoping to eventually configure my mid-2020 pre-order to be an R1S Max (actually "Longer Range", it apparently will not get the Max name or have 400+ mile range), something that may happen later this year. I don't expect delivery until the end of 2024 or early 2025 howeve, so if something like the EV-9 comes along, and it has the capacity to tow my teardrop 130- 150 miles on a single charge, I (and likely quite a few others) will cancel the Rivian order.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Typical test drives are a comparison exercise for the most part. How does this potential car feel and behave relative to others and therefore do you like it?

In every single way the Rivian will be unlike anything you've ever driven, including your Tesla. I was a day one X and 3 res holders and bought both without test driving. I would have learned nothing. I wanted them for a hundred reasons and how it handled in a corner wasn't a concern, i know it would be great.

Sorry the lead time suprises you. Believe me it sucks for all of us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More than a few folks have signed up for the Tesla CT, which, assuming it delivers next year, will have taken more than 2-1/2 years to get to your driveway. As far as I'm aware, there is no way to test drive the CT, though Tesla at least has a track record.

There is essentially no chance that an order for any Rivian model placed today will deliver in a year, and only a marginally greater likelihood of getting one delivered in two years. Frankly, at this juncture, there really doesn't seem to be much of an advantage in placing a pre-order for a Rivian at all. The company will get to full-rate production some time in the middle future, perhaps by mid-next year. Once that happens, and after the existing pre-orders are fulfilled (mid to late 2024 is my guess) and unless demand is overwhelming, your lead time from order to delivery will be just a few months.

You are right that for the near term, if you want an electric SUV, the Model Y is really the only option. Sometime later this year however, you may be able to order a Kia EV-9 however, and there are likely to be quite a few other alternatives by the time the Rivian R1S starts to roll off the assembly line in respectable numbers.

I'm hoping to eventually configure my mid-2020 pre-order to be an R1S Max (actually "Longer Range", it apparently will not get the Max name or have 400+ mile range), something that may happen later this year. I don't expect delivery until the end of 2024 or early 2025 howeve, so if something like the EV-9 comes along, and it has the capacity to tow my teardrop 130- 150 miles on a single charge, I (and likely quite a few others) will cancel the Rivian order.
The CT is fugly! 😱

Plus I'm pretty sure they only have so many reservations because they only require a $100 deposit. If Rivian only required $100 I'd throw in today and hope for the best. I'm not really willing to do that with $1k though.

I haven’t really been keeping up with Rivians progress. I had heard there were some delays but I didn’t realize they were still 2+ years out. I watched the Throttle House review this morning and thought it looked pretty cool and decided to investigate, which is how I ended up here.

I don’t really need to tow anything long distances, I just want to be able to pick up things at Lowes or take old furniture to the dump without having to rent a U-Haul. The Model Y with the tow hitch, and a small trailer from Harbor Freight, will work for that but the Rivian would be more convenient.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Time to git in line bubber.

Keep in mind that there are a bunch of people (thousands) that ordered 3 or 4 YEARS ago, have never seen a R1T in person (let alone all of the colors yet), and have never had an option for a test drive. My guess is that the MAJORITY of the early adopters would, in fact, purchase an R1T without a test drive (if given that option today).

But why???

Fortunately, Rivian has an impressive warranty, and an assurance program whereby they will allow you to return a vehicle, for any reason, after 7 days or 1000 miles. This is what happens when demand far outstrips supply across an entire OEM supply chain - you get patient - really patient, and you hedge your bets on what you believe in. Rivian has done everything in its power to build consumer confidence and trust, without having a traditional sales model or dealer network to lean-on as a new company. Although I (personally) have been waiting for years, my confidence has actually gone up (not down) seeing what they were able to accomplish with the R1T, and after seeing what Edmunds and others had to say about their direct experiences with the truck.

YMMV.

·
Registered
433 Posts
They are not 2+ years out, they are delivering now but on a slow ramp. In addition to getting a new car company off the ground, like many auto manufacturers you have seen in the news they are struggling with supply chain issues as well

The long wait time comes from the early reservations, back in December they had over 71k preorders. I would guess that has grown since then. We may have a little more information on March 10th with their 2021 earnings reports. They should provide new projections. The real time line is hard to really guess, need to see how the supply chain issues resolve, what the ramp up looks like.

A lot of the delivery timeline depends on the attrition rate of the early pre-order holders. A long time has passed since the earliest deposits were made. Life circumstances could have changed, other vehicles are out there that some may feel fit their needs better. We just do not know what the conversion rate will be from a preorder to an actual purchase.

It is a guessing game but I would guess If they have under 100k of preorders they would probably clear those by the end of 2023 at the latest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not really willing to plop down $1k for something I'm not going to see for another 2 years. I'll just wait until supply has normalized and I can get one within a few months. It looks really cool, and I would love to have one, but I'm not that anxious. This is the same reason I waited until Aug 2019 to get the Model 3. I waited until order times were reasonable and I could actually test drive one. I'll do the same with the Rivian. I honestly thought they were a bit further along in the process when I got here this morning. Seems like when I'm ready for my next, next car in 3.5 years they'll probably be where I need them to be.

In the mean time I'll keep an eye out for a test drive event. Even if I can't get one right away I still wouldn't mind driving one.

·
Banned
473 Posts

It’s not reasonable to buy an 80-90,0000 vehicle with out test driving one. Especially from a brand new company. It’s just not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It’s not reasonable to buy an 80-90,0000 vehicle with out test driving one. Especially from a brand new company. It’s just not.
I bought a BMW 135i back in 2008 without actually driving it. But I did test drive the 128i first, which was essentially the same car just with a less powerful engine, so I at least had a sense of how it drove and felt to sit in. I've never even seen a Rivian outside of a few YouTube videos.

·
Registered
929 Posts
While that might be true for you, there are likely many people that will look at a P&S, understand the terms, see that there is essentially a 1000 MILE test drive available, if you consider the full refund, and be perfectly fine with that. I may be mistaken, but I believe you will also get a test drive upon delivery of the vehicle (either at home or at a service center). Personally, I have never bought any vehicle after having more than 1 test drive. I either loved it, or I hated it. End of story.

·
Banned
473 Posts
While that might be true for you, there are likely many people that will look at a P&S, understand the terms, see that there is essentially a 1000 MILE test drive available, if you consider the full refund, and be perfectly fine with that. I may be mistaken, but I believe you will also get a test drive upon delivery of the vehicle (either at home or at a service center). Personally, I have never bought any vehicle after having more than 1 test drive. I either loved it, or I hated it. End of story.
If Rivian is still here in 5 years I guess everyone can test drive one. If I’m still here in 5 years, I will test drive one. Lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.