Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the choice of all three right now. I use my vehicle's infotainment system. Not every user cares about connecting every feature of their phone to their car. I don't text while I drive. I don't call while I drive (tho my infotainment system allows hands-free calling with my phone connected via bluetooth). I use the built-in navigation in my vehicle. It has never given me issues getting from point A to point B, it has a dark mode, it shows me accidents and traffic, it has offline maps... what more do I need? I listen to music. I can already use any of the music apps I want via my phone to infotainment system. I don't use assistants (no Siri, no Bixby, etc).

Not every use case is the same, and not every consumer wants the same thing. I don't think Rivian is attempting to replace your smartphone (or any other vendor for that matter).

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
307 Posts
Will Rivian’s map app crowdsource information and let you know where the cops are? Asking for a friend. ;)😉😜

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the choice of all three right now. I use my vehicle's infotainment system. Not every user cares about connecting every feature of their phone to their car. I don't text while I drive. I don't call while I drive (tho my infotainment system allows hands-free calling with my phone connected via bluetooth). I use the built-in navigation in my vehicle. It has never given me issues getting from point A to point B, it has a dark mode, it shows me accidents and traffic, it has offline maps... what more do I need? I listen to music. I can already use any of the music apps I want via my phone to infotainment system. I don't use assistants (no Siri, no Bixby, etc).

Not every use case is the same, and not every consumer wants the same thing. I don't think Rivian is attempting to replace your smartphone (or any other vendor for that matter).
Exactly my point. This is why you give customers choice. You aren't taking advantage of the features that I mentioned.

I use my smartphone for accessing music from my smartphones apps, and that music is instantly surfaced on my infotainment screen with my playlists, favorites, etc (via AppleCarplay)... Just as it would appear on my phone today.

I do text while I drive, via Siri and Voice. It is so easy. It is so intuitive, It leverages my text strings in my iPhone, it has all my contacts, I can start a text by simply pressing a button on my steering wheel and saying "Hey Siri, text Dad" for example. It is elegant, seamless and exactly the same process inside or outside of the car. Why would I want to use the car to do any of that ever? I don't.

I do call while I drive, a lot. It is the same as above "Hey Siri, call Mom". BOOM, done, nothing to do except enable Apple CarPlay one time when you get the vehicle. Again, I leave the car, and I do the same thing, have the same contacts, utilize the same U/I

I understand people do things differently. Part of my point is that no car company should bother to aspire to compete or provide a better interface and experience (FOR CERTAIN THINGS) than what is available through the device that many of us are all tethered to, 24X7, day in and day out. The Rivian screen and U/I look amazing, but please let us serve up our own apps from our own phones and leverage the smartphone technology that exists with everything else we do when we are NOT in our cars. For those that want a pureplay car ecosystem without their smartphones, that is fine. It exists and can be used to your point.

For the OP, WAZE (driven through CarPlay) will show me accidents, cops, hazzards, potholes, automatic re-reoute options recharging stations and everything else I need in a mapping platform.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Basically, what this comes down to is really 1 very simple thing... Are you going to switch your smartphone out for your automobile manufacturers interface, OS, SW, UI and preferred partnerships with Amazon? The answer is a resounding "NO!"... There is a reason why forward thinking companies give customers choice in their vehicles today, and that is to delight them. In my opinion, the aspirational effort by OEM's & manufacturers to displace the driver's smartphone in a vehicle (or a passenger's smartphone for that matter), rather than allowing the device to seamlessly integrate into the OEM's head-unit, reveals pure hubris.

Let's get real for a minute.

Your smartphone IS your primary device and will NOT be displaced anytime soon. Put it this way, if you are given a choice to remove the screen from the dash and operate your RIVIAN OS away from the vehicle (instead of your current Smartphone), would anyone do that? Um, no. Even

So, if you are a user of:

#1). Your vehicles OEM interface (GM, Volvo, Audi, etc)
#2). Apply CarPlay
#3). AmazonAuto

AND you are given the choice of using one of the 3 interfaces, I am guessing that RIGHT NOW, you will choose:

#1). CarPlay if you are an Apple user
#2). Android Auto, if you are an Android user
#3). Maybe the OEM interface for some basic commands if you don't really care too much about the very best experiences for hands-free driving with your device (or aren't that tech savvy)?

Full disclosure - Apple car play user - prefer not to ever use an OEM interface for voice after using Siri hands free, LOVE Waze and Spotify and my apps that are supported in CarPlay

I've gone years of various manufacturer phone integration, from BMW's awful iDrive system, to Android Auto in my Subaru, and anything else in between. Simply put, the Tesla system is the best and easiest I've ever used.

Let's also remember, when the Teslas first came out, their built-in streaming service was Slacker. It was not very good. Model 3 owners were clamoring for Spotify for years, and it finally showed up with software version 10. I like using my cell phone as a key, but I do not want to use it for infotainment.

As far as what Rivian will offer, it's unfortunate we don't know. I feel it'll go one of two ways. They will either replicate what Tesla did out of the box and build in one streaming service and you're stuck with it. Or they'll do the opposite and basically have their own OS with installable third party apps and a sort of app store, from which we could select whichever music service we prefer. If it's the former, I have a feeling a lot of customer won't be particularly happy.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I like using my cell phone as a key, but I do not want to use it for infotainment.
Yes, agreed, I want the infotainment system to do Rivian things, and I still want my smartphone to still do its smartphone things automagically inside the Rivian. Afterall, that is the beauty & function of AndroidAuto and Apple CarPlay. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Rivian actually does, but if I have to replicate everything (including my data) that I utilize today in my phone somewhere else inside the Rivian OS, and I can't slide to a tile in the infotainment center that surfaces CarPlay and enable it, I'm guessing I will be very underwhelmed. The utility of CarPlay and Android Auto can't be overstated enough (if you are already a user today).

I'm guessing that if you don't use subscription services and apps like Spotify that are included in CarPlay, haven't bothered to use Waze, have all Android devices, don't currently use CarPlay or Android Auto and aren't leveraging hands-free technology in your current vehicle - you might be absolutely delighted with the Rivan Infotainment system!

I just want to use the Rivian Infotainment system harmoniously with my smartphone. It's not a lot to ask for a $75K truck these days. I think I've been using Apple CarPlay since 2015, and I have it in my 2012 pick-up via an aftermarket JVC stereo! I hope I don't have to mount an aftermarket stereo in my Frunk! LOL.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes, agreed, I want the infotainment system to do Rivian things, and I still want my smartphone to still do its smartphone things automagically inside the Rivian. Afterall, that is the beauty & function of AndroidAuto and Apple CarPlay. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Rivian actually does, but if I have to replicate everything (including my data) that I utilize today in my phone somewhere else inside the Rivian OS, and I can't slide to a tile in the infotainment center that surfaces CarPlay and enable it, I'm guessing I will be very underwhelmed. The utility of CarPlay and Android Auto can't be overstated enough (if you are already a user today).

I'm guessing that if you don't use subscription services and apps like Spotify that are included in CarPlay, haven't bothered to use Waze, have all Android devices, don't currently use CarPlay or Android Auto and aren't leveraging hands-free technology in your current vehicle - you might be absolutely delighted with the Rivan Infotainment system!

I just want to use the Rivian Infotainment system harmoniously with my smartphone. It's not a lot to ask for a $75K truck these days. I think I've been using Apple CarPlay since 2015, and I have it in my 2012 pick-up via an aftermarket JVC stereo! I hope I don't have to mount an aftermarket stereo in my Frunk! LOL.
Using hands free is not linked to either of these apps.

I use hands free on my iPhone all the time in my vehicles and neither of them have CarPlay. The Bluetooth integration lets me read (visually or verbally) and send messages, make phone calls answer phone calls, see who is calling and I never have to take my phone out of my bag.

I think we just need to see what is delivered and how it works.

I can understand why this seems like a simple add to a lot of people, but is a bigger deal than that. The more external interfaces you have the more you have to commit your resources to ensure the integration is working and secure for every change that the vendor does. You also have to ensure that people that do not update their personal devices all the time are still supported and could require multiple integrations to cover different OSs and devices when a change is not backward compatible. All of this consumes your resources that are dictated by an external source based on their release timeline and takes away from your ability to schedule your own priorities and development path.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Using hands free is not linked to either of these apps.
I'm not sure what this means, because I (either say "Hey Siri" and leverage all the functions I need in my iPhone or,) press and hold a button on my steering wheel, and I "activate" CarPlay and Siri to do the same. This is my definition of Hands-Free, so I'm sorry if yours is different. I'm not having a debate with non-CarPlay or Non Android Auto users about the utility... I get it, if you don't use it, I understand... I'm glad you are happy using bluetooth. Carry on.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm not sure what this means, because I (either say "Hey Siri" and leverage all the functions I need in my iPhone or,) press and hold a button on my steering wheel, and I "activate" CarPlay and Siri to do the same. This is my definition of Hands-Free, so I'm sorry if yours is different. I'm not having a debate with non-CarPlay or Non Android Auto users about the utility... I get it, if you don't use it, I understand... I'm glad you are happy using bluetooth. Carry on.
That is exactly what I am saying, I can either say Hey Siri or I can activate these functions from buttons on the steering wheel and use them. I can hear through the car speakers and see the texts on the vehicle screens or have them read through the car speakers.

Some of the functions your a mentioning are not tied to the CarPlay and Android apps. I was just pointing out that not having these apps available may not limit the use as much as you think.

·
Registered
82 Posts
How do you use Waze (for example) on your car's infotainment screen via Bluetooth? Does that work? Even if Rivian serves up some of these super utilitarian apps natively, I would still rather run them direct through my phone via CarPlay. Just my preference and .02 cents. Still waiting to find out what Rivian will actually deliver and will reserve the rest of my comments. I have used my phone via Bluetooth, but once I used CarPlay, I never went back to that.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Anyone know whether or not satélite radio will be supported?

·
Registered
554 Posts
How do you use Waze (for example) on your car's infotainment screen via Bluetooth? Does that work? Even if Rivian serves up some of these super utilitarian apps natively, I would still rather run them direct through my phone via CarPlay. Just my preference and .02 cents. Still waiting to find out what Rivian will actually deliver and will reserve the rest of my comments. I have used my phone via Bluetooth, but once I used CarPlay, I never went back to that.
Agreed.
Another benefit of CarPlay and Android Auto is that you may replace your phone every 1-4 years, and each time you get a big boost in processing power... So what apps can do with CP and AA will continuously get better, and new hardware may support better experiences -- either through new features or faster performance -- than you can get solely from software updates. That's assuming Rivian even offers the software you want.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Amazon music description below, so it should work with SeriusXM and Apple.
  • Add Alexa to your car - Connects to the Alexa app on your phone and plays through your car’s speakers via auxiliary input or your smartphone’s Bluetooth connection. Includes Vent Mount.
  • Designed for the road - With 8 microphones and far-field technology, Echo Auto can hear you over music, A/C, and road noise.
  • Go beyond radio - Voice control Echo Auto through the Alexa app to stream from Audible, Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, SiriusXM, and radio stations with TuneIn and iHeartRadio.
  • Just ask - Use your voice to play music, check the news, make calls, add to your to do-list, set reminders, pay for gas, and more.
  • Do More with Auto Mode – Turn your phone into a driver-friendly display that complements your Echo Auto. See what's playing and save time with easy-touch shortcuts to your favorite places, people, and content.
  • Designed to protect your privacy – Amazon is not in the business of selling your personal information to others. Built with multiple layers of privacy controls including a mic off button.
  • Check for compatibility – Echo Auto is not compatible with all cars and phones. See if it will work for you below.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm confident Spotify will be supported. I'm worried they won't support Apple Music, which is my preferred service. I don't want another subscription just to listen to music in my car -- and Spotify sucks, anyway.
use pandora...enough with apple anything...darn company is so proprietary, anyway...that being said, I'm sure it will have apple carplay and you can use any service with that...

·
Super Moderator
307 Posts
use pandora...enough with apple anything...darn company is so proprietary, anyway...that being said, I'm sure it will have apple carplay and you can use any service with that...
Rivian has confirmed no Apple CarPlay or Android Auto support.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Rivian has confirmed no Apple CarPlay or Android Auto support.
well then....that's horrible...I wonder why? I don't have any vehicle without apple car play...no idea how I'd get Waze, Pandora, and all the other apps to work? Do they just work independently of the Apple Car Play interface?

·
Super Moderator
307 Posts
well then....that's horrible...I wonder why? I don't have any vehicle without apple car play...no idea how I'd get Waze, Pandora, and all the other apps to work? Do they just work independently of the Apple Car Play interface?
The subject has been discussed ad nauseam on here. Try out the search button and you’ll discover that you’re not alone in your disappointment.

Reactions: headless

·
Super Moderator
307 Posts
Amazon...argh...why not give us an option? Amazon controls too much...
It appears highly likely that they will have integrated Spotify. No word on Waze.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts