Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, lets not forget that Rivian has already produced (my guess) several hundred prototypes that we all have seen running around. The very first few had to have been made more than a year ago?
Anyway, I am now actively looking for an alternative truck. I can no longer wait. I will have to buy something soon and hope to sell it when my Rivian is finally ready. (I ordered mine on Nov 29th, 2018)
Secondly, does anybody have an idea when the IPO will finally take effect? What is holding it up? What would the initial price be for 1 stock?
So many questions, so few answers.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you are looking to buy an EV truck and do not have a very very early reservation for Lightning or CT or Hummer then you are SOL.

My current truck (2010 Tacoma work truck) is runnable until my R1T is available (2-3 yrs from now). I will not purchase a ICE ever again.

If you purchase an ICE truck to bridge the gap you may see a big depreciation.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Rivian isn't FORCING you to buy an ICE vehicle...
The voodoo coming out of that whining woodcarving is doing that.
That Little 17th century man mug would look fantastic sitting behind the wheel of an all ELECTRIC Audi RS GT!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same boat; the lease ran out on my X5 30 days ago. Initially I thought I timed things brilliantly... alas, I did not. I wound up buying it off lease and will sell it once my launch green R1S arrives. Look like it won't be until early Spring 2022.

·
Registered
185 Posts
new here and still researching my options for 12 to 18 months from now, but are you saying that if I order an R1T now, I won't get it for 2+ years?
My pre order date is 3/21/21 and there were 48,390 pre orders as of 9/30/21. From that I estimate that I am around 38,000th in line.

Taking into account current production is not yet in the volume production phase, supply chain issues, and years of HVM I estimate a 2+ yr. wait.

Rivian does have the capability to produce and deliver faster than my estimate. Just depends on a long list of factors.

I do not think there are any other EV truck options that will get you a truck any sooner unless you have a very very early reservation/pre order with Ford or Hummer or CT.

If you want an EV SUV then there are quite a few options for getting one in 1-6 months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ford is distributing the F150 Lightning to each dealer in limited numbers. If there are not a lot of pre-orders for dealership (you had to pick your dealer when registering) the wait is not crazy. I know first hand as I was a late to register but on the list at my dealer. I am also at the end of Rivian pre-orders (3 weeks ago) and based on what I am hearing on the news and chats I should realistically assume 18+ months so the F150 may be the route..

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Ford is distributing the F150 Lightning to each dealer in limited numbers. If there are not a lot of pre-orders for dealership (you had to pick your dealer when registering) the wait is not crazy. I know first hand as I was a late to register but on the list at my dealer. I am also at the end of Rivian pre-orders (3 weeks ago) and based on what I am hearing on the news and chats I should realistically assume 18+ months so the F150 may be the route..
Welcome to the forum @Steve K.
How did you spec your Lightning and which Rivian model did you order?
new here and still researching my options for 12 to 18 months from now, but are you saying that if I order an R1T now, I won't get it for 2+ years?
Would you consider a Lightning if you can get one sooner?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ford doubled their production from 7,500 to 15,000 for 2022. With 160,000+ reservations there is no way you get a Lightning in 18 months unless you have a very very early reservation.

As far as Ford supplying dealerships with Lightnings before reservations, that is pure fantasy. Vast majority of dealers still don’t have Mach-Es and MMEs have been in production for about a year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Steve K.
How did you spec your Lightning and which Rivian model did you order?

Would you consider a Lightning if you can get one sooner?
Have not spec'd the Lightning out yet. Am being told dealer has 4 allotted and I am one. Should be specifying soon. They are thinking June delivery. If I had to wait longer than summer 2022 (July/Aug) I would likely opt for this.

I ordered a Rivian adventure with max pack in Silver.It is my preferred choice as it will fit in my garage. F150 is mid box size and too big for my needs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ford doubled their production from 7,500 to 15,000 for 2022. With 160,000+ reservations there is no way you get a Lightning in 18 months unless you have a very very early reservation.

As far as Ford supplying dealerships with Lightnings before reservations, that is pure fantasy. Vast majority of dealers still don’t have Mach-Es and MMEs have been in production for about a year.

Just sharing what they are telling me. If the first 25,000 orders were from Texas you think they'd ship the first 25,000 to Texas? Not great marketing IMO but who knows. And I do have a reservation, just not an early one.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just sharing what they are telling me. If the first 25,000 orders were from Texas you think they'd ship the first 25,000 to Texas? Not great marketing IMO but who knows. And I do have a reservation, just not an early one.
I have a Lightning reservation (6/6/21) that I estimate puts me around 90,000th, no chance for 2022 since they predict they may be able to produce 15,000 and slim to
chance for 2023 either.

If Ford does produce 15,000 in 2022 they will be very conservative in who gets what of a very limited but highly popular item.

Let’s not forget the supply chain issues that Ford has been and is currently battling. With so many EVs rushing to market it seems reasonable to expect a battery shortage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Firstly, lets not forget that Rivian has already produced (my guess) several hundred prototypes that we all have seen running around. The very first few had to have been made more than a year ago?
Anyway, I am now actively looking for an alternative truck. I can no longer wait. I will have to buy something soon and hope to sell it when my Rivian is finally ready. (I ordered mine on Nov 29th, 2018)
Secondly, does anybody have an idea when the IPO will finally take effect? What is holding it up? What would the initial price be for 1 stock?
So many questions, so few answers.
I P O is scheduled for November 9

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just got an used M3 to chuck around for a few months until it arrives. Truck will be just as good in March as it is in December. As disappointing as the delays have been, you have to feel good about the reviews, the stark contrast in management and company cultures vs. competitors, the industry backing, and upcoming IPO which will leave them flush with cash. And it that wasn't enough good faith, extending IPO access to early res holders was an awesome move. So I am antsy but not looking elsewhere

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.