Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 10 days after delivery and only one charge, it experienced a catastrophic fail when I tried to start it up in a parking lot. Every warning light in lit up. Undrivable. They walked me through one reboot attempt but no change. Had to Uber home. They have had it for a second day now and no news thus far. This is on the heels of a mysterious water collection on the floor in front of the brake pedal, and tire pressure gauge malfunctions

I would be super curious if anybody has had similar problems, and what their experience was going through the process with Rivian. And of course the final disposition of the truck

let me know if there’s another place on this forum for this question? Thank you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That's a bummer to hear, sorry about that. Talk about ruining the excitement of new ownership. But not surprising either that there will be a few bad ones rolling out initially. Model 3's had some initial owners with catastrophic failures in the beginning.

My brother had the Mercedes EV and after problem after problem, including twice just dying on the freeway, they allowed him to give the car back and refund under lemon law.

Hopefully this is just an isolated issue with yours that's fairly easily fixed and not a preview of more problems to come. Hoping for the best for you!

·
Registered
91 Posts
About 10 days after delivery and only one charge, it experienced a catastrophic fail when I tried to start it up in a parking lot. Every warning light in lit up. Undrivable. They walked me through one reboot attempt but no change. Had to Uber home. They have had it for a second day now and no news thus far. This is on the heels of a mysterious water collection on the floor in front of the brake pedal, and tire pressure gauge malfunctions

I would be super curious if anybody has had similar problems, and what their experience was going through the process with Rivian. And of course the final disposition of the truck

let me know if there’s another place on this forum for this question? Thank you.
I took delivery yesterday. I plugged in overnight and when I walked into the garage this morning (without a key or phone), the headlights and displays were on and the music was playing (but the vehicle was locked!). Unplugged it, moved it to the drive, and it locked again when I walked away...but everything remained on. Support walked me through a "Ctrl-Alt-Del" reboot because apparently a sensor thought someone was still inside; that's what kept it ON all night (though it did still fully charge). That seemed to do the trick for now but we'll see if it happens again. (For those of you unfamiliar, there is no ON/OFF button on the R1T - if it senses a "key" nearby, it turns on; no "key", it turns off!)

Also, the driver mirror was scratched but even worse was what looked like a ding on the same door just in front of the "R"; turns out it's actually a protrusion under the paint which is really odd. That's supposed to be fixed too though I'm not sure how that will happen here at the house.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I took delivery yesterday. I plugged in overnight and when I walked into the garage this morning (without a key or phone), the headlights and displays were on and the music was playing (but the vehicle was locked!). Unplugged it, moved it to the drive, and it locked again when I walked away...but everything remained on. Support walked me through a "Ctrl-Alt-Del" reboot because apparently a sensor thought someone was still inside; that's what kept it ON all night (though it did still fully charge). That seemed to do the trick for now but we'll see if it happens again. (For those of you unfamiliar, there is no ON/OFF button on the R1T - if it senses a "key" nearby, it turns on; no "key", it turns off!)
Do you keep your keys or phone close to your truck overnight? if they are close but inside, this might still be an issue.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Rebooting the system is very common in some EV's.. many time Tesla Model 3 was rebooted with the help of cusotmer service.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry to hear. Excited I saw my 1st rivian this morning (glimpse as it drove past me). I took delivery on a model 3 2 weeks ago, had to do a manual reboot the other day for some front motor issue.

·
Registered
2022 Rivian R1T
53 Posts
@Hank&Clyde did they at least give you a loaner that's a Rivian? I believe that's what they intended to do from the start.
I can’t speak for the OP, but I asked for a loaner and they said that’s the goal, but they don’t have them yet available. They offered rental car vouchers, tho I did have to ask.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

FOLLOW UP:
Rivian was amazing in their response and in their customer service:

1) immediately gave me a $200 Uber voucher, an Instacart credit for the groceries that melted, and then set up a free kick ass rental of a (similar) Jeep Rubicon
2) my guide and the local folks kept me well updated about the progress of the forensics of the problem
3) when it was determined that there was a significant defect they ultimately agreed to re-purchase the truck and as of a couple days ago I have a brand new truck, exactly the same as the first except the VIN
4) They threw in some extras to make up for the trouble I went through. Generous
5) when the rental car company acted dishonorably Rivian immediately shut that shit down and solved it definitively

every touch with the company has been extraordinary in terms of customer service, patience and positive energy

·
Registered
Launch Edition LG/FE
145 Posts
FOLLOW UP:
Rivian was amazing in their response and in their customer service:

1) immediately gave me a $200 Uber voucher, an Instacart credit for the groceries that melted, and then set up a free kick ass rental of a (similar) Jeep Rubicon
2) my guide and the local folks kept me well updated about the progress of the forensics of the problem
3) when it was determined that there was a significant defect they ultimately agreed to re-purchase the truck and as of a couple days ago I have a brand new truck, exactly the same as the first except the VIN
4) They threw in some extras to make up for the trouble I went through. Generous
5) when the rental car company acted dishonorably Rivian immediately shut that shit down and solved it definitively

every touch with the company has been extraordinary in terms of customer service, patience and positive energy
That's awesome to hear. I'm sure some of this attention will wane over time, but good to hear none the less.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

ETIOLOGY OF CATASTROPHIC FAILURE:
Per Rivian, a wire harness failed, which caused a cable to disconnect, clearly a primary one. They sent a tech in from the Bay Area to fully investigate every aspect of the problem and that is how they found a ‘frame defect’, a happenstance and very disturbing finding. I am uncertain of the calculus for the decision to re-purchase the truck, but now I have full faith in their integrity. Regarding my experience with the water found next to the brake pedal, nothing was ever discovered so it will remain a mystery.

I want to stress that their commitment to my ‘white glove’ customer experience truly sets them apart from pretty much any customer experience I’ve had beyond USAA. My guide and the guys in West Sacramento are clearly deeply invested in the success of this truck and the company. For which I’m glad since I’m also an investor. My cynicism got a full reset on this one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
so my truck just died. Was sitting in the garage for 3 days. Hadn’t driven it. Got it and all the indicator lights are blinking. Multiple warning messages.
Soft reboot
Hard reboot
Sleep for 30 mins.
nothing.
Tech support said “we are going to escalate”. Someone will be back in touch with you in 24-48 hours. WTF!

They had darn better respond faster than that!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
so my truck just died. Was sitting in the garage for 3 days. Hadn’t driven it. Got it and all the indicator lights are blinking. Multiple warning messages.
Soft reboot
Hard reboot
Sleep for 30 mins.
nothing.
Tech support said “we are going to escalate”. Someone will be back in touch with you in 24-48 hours. WTF!

They had darn better respond faster than that!
As @sciencegeek mentioned, it sure sounds like a 12V issue. It's bad enough that this was posted on the dashcam of most trucks parked at a Rivian service center. Won't be surprised if you see the same thing at your nearest service center.
Product Font Material property Gas Electric blue

1 - 20 of 29 Posts