Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious if anyone is canceling their reservation due to the extended lead times? I am in the "1st half of 2023" Club for an R1T Adventure Max Pack reserved Jan. 2020 but am keeping it on order until then in case I don't find anything better from another manufacturer in the interim. If I don't, hopefully the extra time will give Rivian time to work out any kinks from initial production and possible add some features ( like satellite radio) to the vehicles.

Anybody else have a different view?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Well, IMO it's better knowing your estimated delivery date no matter how far out it is. I see it as a challenge, I'm challenging myself to putt away $2K/month in a special account and should have about $24K saved before my delivery happens in "Oct-Dec 2022". That with some stock and savings $$ will let me pretty much pay in full with no loans/debt. So, it's a year out.. but I now have a savings mission :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
^ Agreed.

At least Rivian has gone through Alpha and Beta stages and is actually delivering final production version/quality vehicles to paying customers (yes- employees and a handful of non-employees) which is more than can be said of Ford and Tesla.
Ford is probably still in Beta with the Lightning even if they don't admit it and Tesla is more likely back in Alpha again due to the new inclusion of 4-wheel steering, and other recent changes made to the existing 2 yo original Cybertruck model... and they still have a factory to complete and workers to train.

·
Registered
Jeep JLU Rubicon
27 Posts
Well, IMO it's better knowing your estimated delivery date no matter how far out it is. I see it as a challenge, I'm challenging myself to putt away $2K/month in a special account and should have about $24K saved before my delivery happens in "Oct-Dec 2022". That with some stock and savings $$ will let me pretty much pay in full with no loans/debt. So, it's a year out.. but I now have a savings mission :)
I'm doing the same. The 1+ year is helping me save some money. I don't need my R1T tomorrow. Hopefully a lot of OTA updates get delivered (apple car play or apple music please) and by then they build mine, there will be some improvements.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am just curious if anyone is canceling their reservation due to the extended lead times? I am in the "1st half of 2023" Club for an R1T Adventure Max Pack reserved Jan. 2020 but am keeping it on order until then in case I don't find anything better from another manufacturer in the interim. If I don't, hopefully the extra time will give Rivian time to work out any kinks from initial production and possible add some features ( like satellite radio) to the vehicles.

Anybody else have a different view?
Time, no, raising the price of my vehicle by over $22 thousand overnight, yes, gone, and stock sold at the opening bell tomorrow AM. $1700 more for white paint, the roof is all glass, the paint did not go up that much, neither did steal and nor a non-union shop. They just took 50K early adopters of the vehicles over the last three years, and price jabbed them, with no promise they may not do it again. Poor company accounting and forecasting, even poorer communication on a near $100K SUV. Sales tax, add another 8% to that additional price, increase your personal property cost, and a raise your insurance by 20% per year.

In addition, the CEO doesn't have the balls to come out and tell his early adopters WTF happened. $1750 extra now for white paint, my ass. You just pissed off 50K people and pissed all over your brand nameplate. I am out. Ask MIT for their money back and get some decent bean counters!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts