Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pre-order for the R1S since early 2021 with an expected delivery “1st half of 2023”. I just put a deposit on the Cadillac lyriq awd. Says deliveries begin spring of 2023.
The caddy is starting to grow on me and with the tax credit now being available to gm again makes the price difference about 9k in the caddy’s favor.
At this point I have kind of told myself whichever one shows up first I will get.
Anyone cross shopped these two?

·
Registered
32 Posts
My wife has a pre-order in on a Lyriq. Seems like its going to be a nice ride for her, but hard to compare these vehicles, they are in completely different classes. That Lyriq is never going near an off-road trail! I'm also pretty skeptical about delivery windows on those, but you will probably have a good chance of getting a Lyriq before your R1S, my uneducated guess....

·
Registered
1 Posts
When the idea of pure EV SUV became more of reality, the Lyriq was my first choice. Then came the R1S. The Lyriq and R1S are very different vehicles IMHO. If you want to do off-roading I don't think the Lyriq cuts it. If you're strictly a street/highway user, the R1S maybe overkill. I'm somewhere in the middle. Therefore, it's the R1S for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree the the lyriq is more of a grocery getter but I live in super flat Indiana. The most off road I’d be doing is most likely to Attica at the bad lands to tow the atvs. At this point I am going to keep both reservations and see which one I would get first. I’d still like to see one sit in one and drive one before I make final call. We shall see….
Appreciate the replies

·
Registered
R1T Launch Edition
34 Posts
Who wants a Caddy?
Anyway, GM is only making a few and they're sold out for a year or two … the general idea at general motors is to stall their battery game for a year while they sell a handful of boutique vehicles then kick into mass production with the Blazer and the EVlanche.
If that sounds unlikely, look at Toyota, stopping sales on the BZ4X and recalling all sold vehicles … GM just took bath on flaming Bolts … between supply-side logistics snafu, "chip shortages" and fires and recalls, GM has to be cautious about building a fleet of liabilities.
Meanwhile Ford has a recall (more than one on the Mach-E) for battery terminals overheating, and every vehicle with LG Chem batteries (GM Bolt) is having charging problems and thermal runaway risks. BMW's new 5 series EV has overheating problems … turns out chasing Tesla isn't as easy as it might look … turns out Rivian is succeeding where "established" manufacturers can't find their arses with a mirror and map … : )

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had thought about ordering a Lyric as well but after seeing the design I'm glad I didn't. It looks more like a hatchback instead of a proper SUV. This means that the storage in the back will be compromised similar to how it is in a lot of vehicles today. As someone who loads up a car to the roof for trips that was a no go. Interior does look really nice and if you travel light I think it would be a good option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts