Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, you may want to sell while you can. I have almost 9000 miles on my truck already and the truck is falling apart. Worst yet, it went in for service and came back without fixing the paint issue that was the first issue it went in for. Not sure if others found out yet either, but after this many miles, with ZERO impact to the frame, they found that the frame cannot hold up to the torque and cracked on both sides of the rear frame. All, they are not there yet. We are in trouble and the recall had us at risk.

· Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 post. Troll?
9000 miles and zero posts..... while possible seems odd.
all, i don’t use social media. I don’t post and normally don’t complain. I am direct and admit when something is not right, like steak at a restaurant. I’ve had it more than most. I drive it like you and i will, not someone that works for the company that probably won’t tell you this. No car for one month while they did only part of the service which sucks because it took A MONTH! what do you want to know? I know why not to buy the truck! You will not buy it a second time if you do one.

· Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
all, i don’t use social media. I don’t post and normally don’t complain. I am direct and admit when something is not right, like steak at a restaurant. I’ve had it more than most. I drive it like you and i will, not someone that works for the company that probably won’t tell you this. No car for one month while they did only part of the service which sucks because it took A MONTH! what do you want to know? I know why not to buy the truck! You will not buy it a second time if you do one.
Andi joined on here because this is all i could find to have a voice

· Registered
790 Posts
Your "paint issue" sounds like the edge of the PPF.

But when you come here saying the sky is falling and don't explain things and don't post pictures while making claims that are totally contrary to what others have experienced, then we question your motives as a new user. Many people have driven more than 9k miles with their Rivian, and the test vehicles were driven pretty far and pretty hard. (See for example Rivian — Long Way Up). Do you drive off-road a lot or otherwise abuse the truck? You have left out a lot of details. If there were something fundamentally wrong with the design of the "frame" (which is more of a unibody), then I'm pretty sure it would have shown up by now in at least one of the other ~18,000 Rivians now on the road. And in contrast to what you are saying, Rivian has been criticized for "overbuilding" their structural members - that is, making them needlessly strong. See the Munro teardown videos for details.

If this is a one-off problem then that's more understandable because those things happen even with the best manufacturers. But the chicken little schtick - implying that the entire company is about to implode because every R1T is just days away from falling apart - is not a defensible position.

We are in trouble and the recall had us at risk
Having to tighten two bolts was a portent of massive structural failure?

· Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your "paint issue" sounds like the edge of the PPF.

But when you come here saying the sky is falling and don't explain things and don't post pictures while making claims that are totally contrary to what others have experienced, then we question your motives as a new user. Many people have driven more than 9k miles with their Rivian, and the test vehicles were driven pretty far and pretty hard. (See for example Rivian — Long Way Up). Do you drive off-road a lot or otherwise abuse the truck? You have left out a lot of details. If there were something fundamentally wrong with the design of the "frame" (which is more of a unibody), then I'm pretty sure it would have shown up by now in at least one of the other ~18,000 Rivians now on the road. And in contrast to what you are saying, Rivian has been criticized for "overbuilding" their structural members - that is, making them needlessly strong. See the Munro teardown videos for details.

If this is a one-off problem then that's more understandable because those things happen even with the best manufacturers. But the chicken little schtick - implying that the entire company is about to implode because every R1T is just days away from falling apart - is not a defensible position.

Having to tighten two bolts was a portent of massive structural failure?
That’s a comical position. If you are on here, you may be considering buying one. I never said the company will fall apart. Amazon will protect that from an investor standpoint and version 2 or 3 may be great. But before a person that is debating the purchase, think again. You want pictures of a calendar, or is being without a car for a month (2 days short) normal in your world? I doubt it. The service, when needed, sucks. And the roughly 18000 trucks you say were delivered have not come close to 9000 miles. Try again.

Here’s what a buyer should know, besides Bluetooth, the technology sucks. There is no Apple car play (don’t respond that it’s coming. Tesla owners have waited way longer to know it isn’t coming). There are no apps besides for Alexa which is useless. If you are driving and want to change satellite radio, it is amazingly frustrating and unsafe to grab and unlock your phone, open the app, find the station, and hit it. All in a $85k car. My other car has a heads up display. That is awesome so comparably, a new buyer should know that safe technology is in other cars that this does not have.
If you think that this forum is just to talk about all the neat things that you may one day do with a Rivian, don’t read this. But reviews that can tell you as an every day vehicle, this vehicle is having parts fall off (emblems from the tires, molding inside along the front windshield, and a rear frame cracking from (never off rd) daily driving) and safety features lacking, along with awful integration with any apps you use to drive, are what this is. If you thought about buying one of these, just wait. A while. Rivian is not there and these were likely rushed out.

· Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
325 Posts
Shawn wonder how much of the stock you have shorted?

Anyone who bought a Rivian and has one on order understands the challenges of this new company building this new vehicles at a new factory with new employees with a new process. There are definitely going to be problems, just like Tesla had (or has) and like many other manufacturers have with new vehicles. Comes with the territory.

Your example of having to unlock your phone to change apps skips over 'Hey Siri' or 'Hey Google' which can do this for you, or use the integrated apps like you are required too in a Tesla. People complain about lack of buttons but I rarely change the temperature in my car, 70 or 72 and that is it, let auto do its job.,

Good luck and hopefully you can sell it with a straight face since you hate it so much.

· Registered
71 Posts
...There are definitely going to be problems, just like Tesla had (or has) and like many other manufacturers have with new vehicles. Comes with the territory....
Rivian with current market cap of roughly $30B, is not a small start up any more. Yet your comments implies that we should give them a pass for not performing up to par. Further to compare to Tesla with annual production of 1.5M vehicles and vertically integrated 4 major factories is simply ridiculous. Perhaps th the first year of Model S back in 2012, but to say "or has" is simply nonsense.

Rivian is not performing well. They can do much better. They need a real COO with automobile manufacturing expertise. RJ only knows what he knows and he doesn't know what he doesn't know. It shows. As a RIVN stock holder, I am disappointed with their production ramp up and performance, including QC. As a R1S preorder holder, I wonder if and when I'll get my vehicle (even after the latest update). As part of the original 55K backlog where RJ claimed will deliver all of them by the end of 2023, it does not look that way.

We need to stop making excuses for Rivian and let them know they need to perform significantly better. That's the only way the company will improve and hold onto current and future customers.

· Registered
157 Posts
Rivian with current market cap of roughly $30B, is not a small start up any more. Yet your comments implies that we should give them a pass for not performing up to par. Further to compare to Tesla with annual production of 1.5M vehicles and vertically integrated 4 major factories is simply ridiculous. Perhaps th the first year of Model S back in 2012, but to say "or has" is simply nonsense.

Rivian is not performing well. They can do much better. They need a real COO with automobile manufacturing expertise. RJ only knows what he knows and he doesn't know what he doesn't know. It shows. As a RIVN stock holder, I am disappointed with their production ramp up and performance, including QC. As a R1S preorder holder, I wonder if and when I'll get my vehicle (even after the latest update). As part of the original 55K backlog where RJ claimed will deliver all of them by the end of 2023, it does not look that way.

We need to stop making excuses for Rivian and let them know they need to perform significantly better. That's the only way the company will improve and hold onto current and future customers.
Well, with their annual production of 1.5M vehicles and vertical integration of 4 major factories, Tesla has still been struggling with putting out their Cybertruck (pushing the estimated timeframe by several years) and their Roadster (which may or may not ever become a reality). All major manufacturers are struggling with ramping up production of their vehicles right now (Ford: Lighting, Bronco, etc.; GM: Lyriq, Silverado, etc.; Kia/Hyundai: EV6, Ioniq, Palisade). That has been the reality of the post-pandemic world. Acting like Rivian is the only one struggling to meet their production ramp up is asinine.

QC? While there are undoubtedly some QC issue, that's also hardly limited to Rivian. Tesla has been producing Model Ys for nearly 4 years, and there are endless QC issues with them still.

We are still in November of 2022, and have nearly 14 months to go until the end of 2023 by which the original 55k backlog was supposed to be delivered. To say "it does not look that way" at this point is premature at best. Furthermore, that estimate was also a goal based on the information they had available at the time; things change.

I, for one, think they are performing pretty damn well, and their product is as good or better as anything else available on the market, otherwise I don't think you would still be holding on to your reservation.

· Registered
71 Posts
Well, with their annual production of 1.5M vehicles and vertical integration of 4 major factories, Tesla has still been struggling with putting out their Cybertruck (pushing the estimated timeframe by several years) and their Roadster (which may or may not ever become a reality). All major manufacturers are struggling with ramping up production of their vehicles right now (Ford: Lighting, Bronco, etc.; GM: Lyriq, Silverado, etc.; Kia/Hyundai: EV6, Ioniq, Palisade). That has been the reality of the post-pandemic world. Acting like Rivian is the only one struggling to meet their production ramp up is asinine.

QC? While there are undoubtedly some QC issue, that's also hardly limited to Rivian. Tesla has been producing Model Ys for nearly 4 years, and there are endless QC issues with them still.

We are still in November of 2022, and have nearly 14 months to go until the end of 2023 by which the original 55k backlog was supposed to be delivered. To say "it does not look that way" at this point is premature at best. Furthermore, that estimate was also a goal based on the information they had available at the time; things change.

I, for one, think they are performing pretty damn well, and their product is as good or better as anything else available on the market, otherwise I don't think you would still be holding on to your reservation.
I have a Model 3 without any issues. It is 4 yrs old and no mechanical or QC issues.

I only am holding onto R1S because I want ESUV with real 3 rows and do not want to have anything to do with dealerships from any mfg. If Tesla had a real eSUV, I would have ordered it instead. I do not consider CUV=SUV (Model X or Y)

Glad you think Rivina is doing well. All of their metrics and stock price says otherwise. But you are clearly a fan so am not surprised at your position.

Respectfully, we disagree.

· Registered
157 Posts
I have a Model 3 without any issues. It is 4 yrs old and no mechanical or QC issues.

I only am holding onto R1S because I want ESUV with real 3 rows and do not want to have anything to do with dealerships from any mfg. If Tesla had a real eSUV, I would have ordered it instead. I do not consider CUV=SUV (Model X or Y)

Glad you think Rivina is doing well. All of their metrics and stock price says otherwise. But you are clearly a fan so am not surprised at your position.

My wife and mother in law both have 2022 Model Ys. Love the car, but QC has A LOT to be desired. A quick skim through the forums confirms that these are hardly isolated incidents.

I don't think the stock price says that they are not doing well. It was grossly overpriced to begin with, and has simply corrected itself. Other than that, their stock price movement has been pretty consistent with all other EVs. Hell, Tesla is delivering damn near 1 million cars a year, and its stock is 43% down over the past year.

The fact that Rivian has been able to put out (however slowly) a three row SUV and an electric truck (both of which are arguably the most desirable segment in car production) is impressive, however, you look at it. Ford is the only other manufacturer with an EV truck, and I think their struggles with ramping up production are also well documented.

But you're right, respectfully, we will disagree.

· Registered
34 Posts

I have a friend who recently bought Tesla Y, and she already went to service center for an issue.. Not everyone shares your experience with Tesla.. Just like not everyone has the issue with Rivian.

I am not saying Rivian or Tesla is perfect or better than the other. But you don't need to make it sound drastically worse for one company.

Tesla had its share of issues in early stage, and compare to that, Rivian is a lot better and mature company.

Their service personnel is excellent and great to work with. I am not sure what they are doing, but they are building the right company so far..

The issues will get better and whatever the issues they run into, they will learn and produce a better car...

Anyhow, I love my Rivian though I still have few minor issues here and there (wind noise, tonneau)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts