Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Registered
503 Posts
Rivian with current market cap of roughly $30B, is not a small start up any more. Yet your comments implies that we should give them a pass for not performing up to par. Further to compare to Tesla with annual production of 1.5M vehicles and vertically integrated 4 major factories is simply ridiculous. Perhaps th the first year of Model S back in 2012, but to say "or has" is simply nonsense.

Rivian is not performing well. They can do much better. They need a real COO with automobile manufacturing expertise. RJ only knows what he knows and he doesn't know what he doesn't know. It shows. As a RIVN stock holder, I am disappointed with their production ramp up and performance, including QC. As a R1S preorder holder, I wonder if and when I'll get my vehicle (even after the latest update). As part of the original 55K backlog where RJ claimed will deliver all of them by the end of 2023, it does not look that way.

We need to stop making excuses for Rivian and let them know they need to perform significantly better. That's the only way the company will improve and hold onto current and future customers.
The comparison to Tesla is their first full year of production not their 10th year. Tesla started June 2012, they built 2,650 that year, their first full calendar year was 2013 and they built 22,477. That is a total of 25,127 through their first full year that was a total of 19 months. If Rivian hits their 25k this year, that will be a total of 26,015 through their first full year which was 16 months. So comparing them as startups Rivian does appear to be ahead of Tesla‘s initial production ramp.

Both companies had their own set of challenges, Tesla’s being cash constraints and Rivian being global supply chain issues and worst inflation in 50 years so it is difficult to do an apples to apples comparison but both had initial struggles to navigate.

Time will tell but I think giving the current environment, Rivian does seem to be holding their own.

· Registered
71 Posts
But reviews that can tell you as an every day vehicle, this vehicle is having parts fall off (emblems from the tires, molding inside along the front windshield, and a rear frame cracking from (never off rd) daily driving) and safety features lacking...
Shawn,

What are the last 4 digits of your VIN? Maybe some of the issues that you are experiencing are related to early production?

My truck is number 2088 and I have just under 10,000mi on mine. It has been back to the Service Center 2x - the last time it was there for over 3 weeks (so I understand the frustration of not having your truck for an extended amount of time). i've probably towed almost 3000 miles with my truck - a combo of several different types (small flatbad raft trailer, longer flatbed with test frame, travel trailer and enclosed work trailer. I run an R&D department for a specialty vehicle manufacturer and have been using it tow our text fixtures over the bumpiest roads I can find here in NW Montana (it hasn't been babied - I have literally been looking for the most potholed, washboarded dirt and gravel roads I can pull a trailer down).

I have had mostly small, cosmetic issues. The only major issue I have experienced is an air suspension failure (hence the 3 weeks at the SC). Rivian has handled these (for me) each and every time with a positive attitude and looking for ways NOT to inconvenience me. They even flew a tech out to check torque on my suspension because I was leaving on a trip the next week. If I had one complaint it would be regarding communication - it seems that they don't have this figured out yet. I rarely receive(d) pro-active communication regarding my issues or it seems like the left hand wasn't talking to the right. I am confident that they will get this resolved.

Having done small batches of volume manufacturing of our vehicles (we did a run of 68 once), I am probably more understanding of recalls. By the time a volume manufacturer finds issues in some builds, they will already have hundreds or thousands (or tens of thousands) of units out in the field - hence the recall. I haven't owned a vehicle in last 10 years that hasn't had recalls including many new vehicles at the same price point.

There are trips and struggles and frustrations and every customer considering purchasing a Rivian should know about what people are experiencing - both the good and the bad. I have experienced mostly good with a little bad. it sounds like you have experienced mostly bad with a little good. Personally, I think that Rivian's quality and capability is better than what you can get for $85k at any of the other truck manufacturers, but that's my opinion. While I would love to have my Android Auto back (primarily for safe texting while driving) I'm trying to be patient and for me, the other benefits outweigh this inconvenience. :)

Seth

· Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Shawn wonder how much of the stock you have shorted? Anyone who bought a Rivian and has one on order understands the challenges of this new company building this new vehicles at a new factory with new employees with a new process. There are definitely going to be problems, just like Tesla had (or has) and like many other manufacturers have with new vehicles. Comes with the territory. Your example of having to unlock your phone to change apps skips over 'Hey Siri' or 'Hey Google' which can do this for you, or use the integrated apps like you are required too in a Tesla. People complain about lack of buttons but I rarely change the temperature in my car, 70 or 72 and that is it, let auto do its job., Good luck and hopefully you can sell it with a straight face since you hate it so much.
Once again, when i read the replies that come, they do the same thing - you change the point of the message and hang on to some hope that this company is sacred. When you do that, it’s transparent and that is not helpful to people to who the message is for. Again, if you are thinking of buying this vehicle, take caution before you do. Cars and trucks from 5 years ago have convenience technology that is incredibly helpful for that convenience and safety. And if you are dependent on this car and it needs to go for service, since it is hours away, it might disappear like mine did, not get completed, and write after it came back 30 days later that their sorry and they’ll send someone. When you drive in the 80’s, most cars handle better. You will wish you had a glove box. You will buy an insert from Walmart like i did to have enough cup holders. And, likely, to your exact point, there are enough problems that are happening often enough that if you have the free time in life to spend having something that keeps taking your attention, good for you. But please, go spend your $85k on that. My dad has a bridge for you to.

· Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Subframe cracking is most likely a one-off occurrence. With almost 14K R1T's produced so far this is the first report I've read regarding cracks.
Of the 14k produced so far, how many have been owned for 8 months and driven as an every day vehicle? You want to call that a one off? With manufacturing unchanged? Okay. And how many of them have been inspected since purchase? I’ll wait for you to say close to zero. If not for me asking to fix the paint (which again the poor service didn’t do) and complaining about vibration at 80, it would never be known. And that also requires someone speaking out.

· Registered
R1T
148 Posts
I'm sure you're upset. I would be too. It seems like a rare situation but for what its worth, I can't see a BMW dealer immediately replacing the subframe. Rivian stepped up to fix it. That's more than what other companies would do.

· Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'm sure you're upset. I would be too. It seems like a rare situation but for what its worth, I can't see a BMW dealer immediately replacing the subframe. Rivian stepped up to fix it. That's more than what other companies would do.
Incorrect. BMW is my other car. They are amazing. You drive your car in for service, get into another car, and a couple days later you get your car back with no bill under warranty, just the same. It is completely incorrect to think that. Rivian did what they had to.

· Registered
26 Posts
Scrolling through threads this morning, hoping this kind of thing is few & far between. On the one hand, I've talked to two owners who have had problems with theirs (the only owners I know). On the other, one of my reasons I'm not too unhappy about waiting another 8 mos is I'm hoping these kinks will be worked out.
I don't care how cool a car is, I'd like to make it from A to B worry free for 100k miles like my other cars.
I'll keep reading for some success stories.

· Registered
34 Posts
Incorrect. BMW is my other car. They are amazing. You drive your car in for service, get into another car, and a couple days later you get your car back with no bill under warranty, just the same. It is completely incorrect to think that. Rivian did what they had to.
I preordered BWM iX and drove a month before I sold that and bought R1T used.. I had my share of issues with brand new iX... So I don't think BMW is any better when it comes to a new territory such as EV..

· Registered
237 Posts
All, you may want to sell while you can. I have almost 9000 miles on my truck already and the truck is falling apart. Worst yet, it went in for service and came back without fixing the paint issue that was the first issue it went in for. Not sure if others found out yet either, but after this many miles, with ZERO impact to the frame, they found that the frame cannot hold up to the torque and cracked on both sides of the rear frame. All, they are not there yet. We are in trouble and the recall had us at risk.
I haven’t made a decision yet, but when they denied mobile service and said I had to drive in to the SC…3 months from my ticket date. yea I stopped and asked myself if I wanted to do this again (former Tesla owner)

This first couple of years isn’t for everyone. Service definitely reminded me of that

· Registered
11 Posts
Of the 14k produced so far, how many have been owned for 8 months and driven as an every day vehicle? You want to call that a one off? With manufacturing unchanged? Okay. And how many of them have been inspected since purchase? I’ll wait for you to say close to zero. If not for me asking to fix the paint (which again the poor service didn’t do) and complaining about vibration at 80, it would never be known. And that also requires someone speaking out.
I have had my R1T since May and have over 13,000 miles and drive everyday. I am new to the EV life so I don't have a Tesla to compare to. I have to say, this has been the best truck I have ever owned and I love everything about it. I have taken road trips, gone off-roading, and have not babied the truck at all. There are a few things I would love to change with the user interface but things seem to get better with every update. I have been to the service center (for the recent recall) and had mobile service to my house (to adjust a couple of things). Both have been wonderful experiences. The biggest complaint I have is the lack of an established fast charging network because I want to take more road trips. I am sorry you are having problems with your truck and thanks for your input. Just wanted to throw in another report from someone who has had a great experience.

· Registered
10 Posts
All, you may want to sell while you can. I have almost 9000 miles on my truck already and the truck is falling apart. Worst yet, it went in for service and came back without fixing the paint issue that was the first issue it went in for. Not sure if others found out yet either, but after this many miles, with ZERO impact to the frame, they found that the frame cannot hold up to the torque and cracked on both sides of the rear frame. All, they are not there yet. We are in trouble and the recall had us at risk.
Useless rant. Where are the pictures of "falling apart"? What was the abuse that truck was inflicted? You do realize that you have warranty if it wasn't your fault.

· Registered
46 Posts
I have about 8500 miles on mine since taking delivery in May. I've had some very minor issues that were really me just being too picky. West Sacramento Service has been absolutely awesome to deal with. I wouldn't trade my truck for any other vehicle period! I smile every time I drive it. It has been a joy to own and we now have the SUV on order.

· Registered
7 Posts
Post pictures like everyone else does.

· Registered
11 Posts
I have a Model 3 without any issues. It is 4 yrs old and no mechanical or QC issues.

I only am holding onto R1S because I want ESUV with real 3 rows and do not want to have anything to do with dealerships from any mfg. If Tesla had a real eSUV, I would have ordered it instead. I do not consider CUV=SUV (Model X or Y)

Glad you think Rivina is doing well. All of their metrics and stock price says otherwise. But you are clearly a fan so am not surprised at your position.

Respectfully, we disagree.
Forget SUVs and CUVs. I WANT AN 8 PASSENGER VAN like my Toyota Sienna! Put it on the long pickup wheelbase! 😀 Seriously; why has no one come up with a minivan?
Bob

21 - 40 of 44 Posts